VOGONS

First post, by Sephiroth, The Great

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Should I make 3 systems (Voodoo, GeForce, TNT2) or 2 systems (Voodoo, GeForce)? Probably 3 systems will make more graphics benefits. But I care more about compatibility benefits than graphics. So please answer in terms of compatibility. Does TNT2 would bring additional compatibility to the table? I know that Incoming is problematic. But I think it works no problem with Voodoo?

Reply 1 of 18, by Gmlb256

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I think you should make one system: Voodoo/GeForce or Voodoo/TNT2, the latter combo gives you better compatibility but slower performance with D3D and OpenGL games.

3dfx Voodoo and TNT2 doesn't have rendering problems found on GeForce cards, so the HUD screen on Incoming will look as intended.

VIA C3 Nehemiah 1.2A @ 1.46 GHz | ASUS P2-99 | 256 MB PC133 SDRAM | GeForce3 Ti 200 64 MB | Voodoo2 12 MB | SBLive! | AWE64 | SBPro2 | GUS

Reply 2 of 18, by Sephiroth, The Great

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Voodoo+TNT2 combo gives compatibility with more games than Voodoo+Geforce combo? I thought Voodoo+GeForce combo would be compatible with more games than Voodoo+TNT2 combo? What are the games that are compatible with Voodoo+TNT2 combo but are incompatible with Voodoo+GeForce combo?

Reply 3 of 18, by Gmlb256

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Sephiroth, The Great wrote on 2024-05-19, 14:25:

Voodoo+TNT2 combo gives compatibility with more games than Voodoo+Geforce combo?

Yes, when it comes to early 3D games. This is in spite of the GeForce up to the FX series supporting 8-bit palletized textures that TNT2 lacks.

The Voodoo card can cover situations where the main card doesn't do well, apart from native Glide support.

What are the games that are compatible with Voodoo+TNT2 combo but are incompatible with Voodoo+GeForce combo?

Besides Incoming: The starry sky on Thief II, which is not visible on GeForce cards. You will be less likely to use the Voodoo Graphics/Voodoo2 card on that game.

There could be more games but those are the two that I know so far.

VIA C3 Nehemiah 1.2A @ 1.46 GHz | ASUS P2-99 | 256 MB PC133 SDRAM | GeForce3 Ti 200 64 MB | Voodoo2 12 MB | SBLive! | AWE64 | SBPro2 | GUS

Reply 4 of 18, by Sephiroth, The Great

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So if GeForce support some things that TNT2 does not and Voodoo covers these games that GeForce has problems with (that work on TNT2) + the fact that GeForce covers more newer games (in a better way) into the future then Voodoo+GeForce should be better.
Incoming does not qualify if it works on Voodoo.
The starry sky on Thief II does not work on Voodoo? I read somewhere here it works on Voodoo.
If one of the cards in the combo covers (renders correctly) the game then the game is covered.
I still don't see how Voodoo+TNT2 has better coverage of games? Still waiting for a game that is better covered with Voodoo+TNT2 than Voodoo+GeForce?
What "less likely" means?
If Voodoo+TNT2 is better then why you have GeForce and Voodoo in signature?

Reply 5 of 18, by Gmlb256

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The starry sky works with Voodoo cards on Thief II, that's not the problem. Less likely means that the experience and performance may not be smooth or desirable.

I have a GeForce in my signature due to the motherboard chipset being overclocked at 133 MHz FSB, which leaves the AGP slot running at 89 MHz, reducing the amount of AGP cards that I can use.

In the end, Voodoo/TNT2 was mainly a suggestion and depend on which games you will be actually playing at all. I won't stop you with going for the Voodoo/GeForce combo.

Last edited by Gmlb256 on 2024-05-19, 15:49. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 7 of 18, by Sephiroth, The Great

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The ability to be able to use both cards separately whenever I like. Both at my disposal to render. To make it easier let's say 2 separate PCs: 1st with (best covering) Voodoo (if it is 1 or 2 then of course connected to 2D card) and 2nd with either TNT2 or GeForce. Which 2 PCs cover more games? Or does TNT2 cover something does Voodoo not?

Reply 8 of 18, by Gmlb256

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
ux-3 wrote on 2024-05-19, 15:46:

Are you talking about a Voodoo1 loop through?

I recall that the OP was asking what Voodoo card would be suitable on a LGA775 motherboard for a fast all-around Windows 98 computer on a different thread. I told him to get a Voodoo2 since the original Voodoo Graphics is troublesome on faster computers.

Reply 11 of 18, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Speaking generally your probably safe with Vood00 + GeForce.
Nvidia cards had good backward compatibility so most of the time isn't much need to go with earlier cards.

But for a more informed answer we would really need to know
Which games you want to focus on.
Which Voodoo card
Which GeForce
Rest of the system specs

Ony reason I can see needing multiple systems is if using a Voodoo 3 or later or CPU speed requirements

Reply 12 of 18, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

nVidia and compatible aren't words I think ever belong together (given how much issue threads they've spawned and "meant to be played" gaslighting from the marketing), so both TNT and Geforce are equal to me, though TNT overlaps a bit with the Voodoo on the 3d game coverage. Geforce did have some driver options to deal with the texel misalignment IIRC, and i'd bias towards that for the texture format support/cache enabling the playing of >1999 games. The video output signal is going to be bad with a secondary Voodoo regardless anyway.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 13 of 18, by Sephiroth, The Great

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I thought about installing two identical Voodoo 2s 12MB in SLI in HP Vectra VEi8 PCI slots and connecting its onboard Matrox GPU to Voodoo as 2D signal that Voodoo 2 needs/lacks. What max 2D resolution gives that Matrox GPU? That could be the first PC. Is it bad that it is 3D accelerator and not standalone Voodoo?
The second PC is to be decided.
I want to cover and be able to play the widest possible variety of games.
So if TNT2 and Voodoo overlaps then what is the point of going with TNT2? Voodoo brings Glide to the table and GeForce brings newer games to the table. What could bring TNT2?
Is there a single game that TNT2 renders correctly that none Voodoo and/or GeForce can render correctly? I am talking about missing rendering effects (stars, fog, etc.) and not resolution, FPS, color depth and overall graphics quality.

Reply 14 of 18, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Sephiroth, The Great wrote on 2024-05-20, 05:54:
I thought about installing two identical Voodoo 2s 12MB in SLI in HP Vectra VEi8 PCI slots and connecting its onboard Matrox GPU […]
Show full quote

I thought about installing two identical Voodoo 2s 12MB in SLI in HP Vectra VEi8 PCI slots and connecting its onboard Matrox GPU to Voodoo as 2D signal that Voodoo 2 needs/lacks. What max 2D resolution gives that Matrox GPU? That could be the first PC. Is it bad that it is 3D accelerator and not standalone Voodoo?
The second PC is to be decided.
I want to cover and be able to play the widest possible variety of games.
So if TNT2 and Voodoo overlaps then what is the point of going with TNT2? Voodoo brings Glide to the table and GeForce brings newer games to the table. What could bring TNT2?
Is there a single game that TNT2 renders correctly that none Voodoo and/or GeForce can render correctly? I am talking about missing rendering effects (stars, fog, etc.) and not resolution, FPS, color depth and overall graphics quality.

OK so looking at the below link the Vectra VEI 8 is limited to a P3 500.
https://theretroweb.com/motherboard/manual/36 … e9855026573.pdf
IMHO this is a great match for your V2's P3 500. Glide was dying off towards the end of Win98 era so you typically don't need a super powerful CPU for glide games.
That same link says the Matrox has 8MB, Resolutions you could go up to are 1600x1200 32bit or 2048x1536 16bit.

With this PC covering Glide the 2nd PC should focus on D3D, what specs will depend on what games you want to play as we are now in the 9x/XP crossover period.
I wouldn't worry too much about TNT/Geforce compatibility, unless you know a game has issues, your never going to get 100% success rate no matter what you do.

Reply 16 of 18, by gerry

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Sephiroth, The Great wrote on 2024-05-19, 17:15:

I still don't know which is better!

😀

i know voodoo has many proponents, if I was putting together a system for 9x and wanted to do so cheaply with the maximum games 'reach' for the money i'd say tnt2 was just fine (or some cheap later similar card)

as to which is better, who knows? its usually dependent on application in the end

Reply 17 of 18, by Gmlb256

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
gerry wrote on 2024-05-20, 15:23:
:) […]
Show full quote
Sephiroth, The Great wrote on 2024-05-19, 17:15:

I still don't know which is better!

😀

i know voodoo has many proponents, if I was putting together a system for 9x and wanted to do so cheaply with the maximum games 'reach' for the money i'd say tnt2 was just fine (or some cheap later similar card)

as to which is better, who knows? its usually dependent on application in the end

The OP already has some Voodoo2 cards.

He is currently asking which combo was better, but he didn't accept my answers. To be fair, I admit that some of the information I put was quite poorly thought out.