VOGONS

First post, by Sephiroth, The Great

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

How playable is this game with Projected Shadows instead of Buffered Shadows? And can Projected Shadows be activated on any GPU? Are any key moments in the game that no shadows or Projected Shadows make it hard to complete?

Reply 1 of 7, by Trashbytes

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

IIRC dgVoodoo2 solves any issues the game has now, might be worth looking at that for splinter cell 1.

Not sure if this startup option is needed now but

Properties > General > Launch Options:
-shadowmode=projector

is the one you should use.

Reply 3 of 7, by Trashbytes

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Sephiroth, The Great wrote on 2024-05-19, 12:17:

I wanted to play it old-fashioned way on Windows 9x without dgVoodoo2 and that is why I am asking. So how is it?

Grab a Geforce 3 or 4 and go nuts, newer Geforce *cards tend to have some issues with too new drivers but early Geforce FX drivers should also work fine too. Personally I have a Geforce 3 I use for this game as that's what it was programmed for as its a Xbox port, it runs beautifully on a Geforce 3 Ti500 but any GF3 or GF4 would run it fine too.

*Late model Geforce FX and Geforce 6 cards may work ok but you might need to play musical drivers to find ones that let you use projected shadows, older drivers will be better for this than newer ones.

But in reality its a lot of pissing around for not much benefit over playing it via dgVoodoo2 which fixes many if not all issues the game has on a modern GPU.

Reply 4 of 7, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Splinter Cell was programmed for proto-GeForce 4 Ti chip (NV2A) which had 2 vertex units instead of one. And well, it runs quite poorly on GeForce 3, when you crank up resolution above 800x600.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 5 of 7, by Trashbytes

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
The Serpent Rider wrote on 2024-05-20, 05:47:

Splinter Cell was programmed for proto-GeForce 4 Ti chip (NV20A) which had 2 vertex units instead of one.

So yeah that would be the GPU the Xbox uses, its an interesting little oddity, clock wise its closer to a GF3 Ti200 but feature wise its closer to a GF4 Ti4200 but it lacks the 1.3 Pixel Shaders. They all being from the Kelvin family is why recommend the GF3 and GF4 for this game and Pandora Tomorrow, PT is a notoriously difficult game to get running accurately on anything newer without something like DGVoodoo2.

Reply 6 of 7, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Trashbytes wrote on 2024-05-20, 05:58:

Pandora Tomorrow, PT is a notoriously difficult game to get running accurately on anything newer without something like DGVoodoo2.

I used to think that too, but Pandora Tomorrow actually works fine on GeForce 6 and 7 series cards. You do need to use a specific driver version though, I think it was 169.21. Drivers newer than that won't render the shadows and lights correctly. The same is true for some older drivers like 77.72. Phil has a video which shows Pandora Tomorrow rendering everything correctly on a 7800 GTX.

As for the original Splinter Cell, that one works fine up to the GeForce FX cards, with some very minor glitches like shiny textures on a few walls/floors, as Phil shows here. That said, with all in-game settings maxed out, performance is not great even on something like a GeForce FX 5900XT, especially if you're going for higher resolutions like 1280x1024. The frame rate varies a lot based on what's displayed on screen, jumping between 60 and 20 FPS in some cases. Not a great experience IMO.

Regarding Shadow Buffers vs. Shadow Projectors, while I have never played the game using the latter, a lot of people were using Radeon cards when this game first came out on PC (early 2003). Because Radeon cards can only use Shadow Projectors, it stands to reason that the developers would at least ensure basic functionality in that mode i.e. making it possible to finish the game. It won't look as good as Shadow Buffers, but I doubt it affects the gameplay in a significant manner.

PC#1: Pentium MMX 166 / Soyo SY-5BT / S3 Trio64V+ / Voodoo1 / YMF719 / AWE64 Gold / SC-155
PC#2: AthlonXP 2100+ / ECS K7VTA3 / Voodoo3 / Audigy2 / Vortex2
PC#3: Athlon64 3400+ / Asus K8V-MX / 5900XT / Audigy2
PC#4: i5-3570K / MSI Z77A-G43 / GTX 970 / X-Fi

Reply 7 of 7, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Which is not so surprising, when considering 640x480 30 fps target on Xbox. GeForce FX 5900 is faster, but not that much faster to compensate for drastically increased pixel density with stable 60 fps on top of that.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.