VOGONS

Common searches

backslash key in DosBox

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

First post, by chris424

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I am a newbie. I just installed DosBox on my Windows Vista Home Premium and when I attempted to mount a drive and folder; I found my back slash key was not recongized within the DosBox. Instead of a back slash it types a bracket. There has to an explanation for this. Any and all help will be appreciated

Chris424 😕

Reply 1 of 9, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

Laptop keyboard?

Anyway, just use / instead of \ when mounting.

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 2 of 9, by mg55

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

You can re-map keys in Dosbox by hitting CTRL-F1.

I had the same problem (not a laptop though) and had to remap several keys.

Dosbox thinks my backslash key is the right bracket. The right bracket is left bracket and left bracket is 'unknown key'. Equals and quote are both also 'unknown key'. The funny thing is that while I can remap and save both the backslash and the right bracket, all the unknown ones must be remapped everytime I start Dosbox. It can't seem to remember them from one session to the next.

Reply 4 of 9, by mg55

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I configured the keyboard layout to US in the config, but it had no visible impact. It's an HP keyboard,...you know the ones with all the media control buttons at the top (does anybody actually use those?!). Every piece of HP equipment I've ever bought has been a piece of unmitigated crap. The only thing worse than HP hardware is HP software.

Still I find it odd that the configuration of just those few keys won't persist.

Reply 5 of 9, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

First step to resolve this is to delete your current mapper.txt file.

Then create a fresh mapper.txt file, with no changes. Rename it to something like mapper_nochange.txt.

Now remap 1 key. Save the changes, and compare the new mapper.txt with the new mapper_nochange.txt. Do you see your change?

Now change one of the keys that won't persist for you. Save the new mapper.txt. Compare it with the mapper_nochange.txt file. What do you see?

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 7 of 9, by epu

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Have this too, with KeyMaestro P2360 on win32 xp and dosbox 0.73
A diff of the original mapper file and keys that are not remembered shows the extra keys are all recorded as 'key 0'. keys work ok in dosbox when they are bound.

Can test/verify fixes or custom builds. Have some mingw/win32 building skills, if it can help.

Reply 8 of 9, by epu

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

ok, so my mingw version works fine. the only thing I did which is maybe different from the release one is to enable unicode (make -f mingwin32.mak WIDE=Y) for PDCurses. Maybe pdcurses or x-compiling with curses isn't working ok for the windows releases?

Reply 9 of 9, by arablizzard2413

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
chris424 wrote:

I am a newbie. I just installed DosBox on my Windows Vista Home Premium and when I attempted to mount a drive and folder; I found my back slash key was not recongized within the DosBox. Instead of a back slash it types a bracket. There has to an explanation for this. Any and all help will be appreciated

Topic: Right-Shift / Backslash Keyboard Problems (SOLVED!)
Right-Shift / Backslash Keyboard Problems (SOLVED!)

It's caused by the MCIR 105 keyboard driver that gets installed on XP Media Center 2005, Vista Home Premium, and Vista Ultimate.