VOGONS

First post, by JoblessPunk

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Here's a Tutorial on how to get Carmageddon to run on Windows XP Home Edition with DOSBox v.072:

Carmageddon_box.jpg

1. Heres what you do:
  2. MagicISO (This is what I used but there are other programs that do the same thing)
  3. Make an image file (.ISO) file of CARMAGEDDON CD

Ok, you still with me?

1. Now time to install Carmageddon onto you computer:

Theres two ways to do this.
    Either install thew your comuter (shown here) or thew DOSBox shown Here: 60 seconds guide to getting your game to run in DOSBox

How to install via your computer:
  2. Open INSTALL.EXE
  3. Go threw the process of installing Carmageddon
    Sidenote:
    I installed Carmageddon to C:\DOSGAMES\CARMAGED
  4. Run SNDSETUP.EXE
  5. Go threw and find the right sound set up.
    Mine was:
    -Select Digital
    -Sound Blaster
    -Port: 220
    -DMA: 1
    -IRQ: 5

w00t! now you have your .ISO of Carmageddon + Installed Carmageddon!
Ready to play it with DOSBox?!?

1. Run DOSBox v0.72
  2. Type:
    IMGMOUNT D C:\DOSGAMES\ISO\CARMA.ISO -T iso
    Sidenote:
    MY .ISO of Carmageddon is in in that folder. RENAME to where ever your Carmageddon .ISO is.
  3. Type:
    MOUNT C C:\DOSGAMES
    Sidenote:
    I Installed Carmageddon into MY DOSGAMES Folder. RENAME to whatever directory you have the game saved into.
  4. Type:
    C:
  5. Type:
    CD CARMAGED
    Sidenote:
    I installed Carmageddon to C:\DOSGAMES\CARMAGED. change it to wherever you installed Carmageddon to.
  6. Type:
    CARMA

There ya go!
Any questions post them here!
-JoblessPunk

Also,
I'm going to figure out how to make a Shortcut so all you have to do is double click a "Carmageddon" Icon and it will start up. I saw that you can do that here: http://www.dosbox.com/wiki/DOSBoxShortcuts
But I've only had and messed around with DOSBox for about 8 hours now, so I'm kinda new to all this 😁

Last edited by JoblessPunk on 2008-04-20, 21:38. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 22, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

Any reason why you didn't install it from within DOSBox?

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 2 of 22, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It probably isn't a wise idea to use an .MDF for your game image. If the game doesn't have any copy protection then your better off using .ISO (just data) or .CUE/BIN (if it containts AUDIO tracks).

Reason is Alcohol eventually won't be around anymore and it's possible image mounting programs will not support the format if it changes or if they just don't want to.

Only use properietary image formats if you must. (Game is copy protected).

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 3 of 22, by JoblessPunk

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
MiniMax wrote:

Any reason why you didn't install it from within DOSBox?

I'm really new to this DOSBox,
How would I install it from within DOSBox?
Would it benefit in anyway?

I installed it threw my virtual drive was because If I installed Carmageddon with my real CD drive the game seemed to look for the CD in that drive not the virtual one...not even if I mounted the virtual drive as the "cdrom"
...make sense?

DosFreak wrote:

It probably isn't a wise idea to use an .MDF for your game image. If the game doesn't have any copy protection then your better off using .ISO (just data) or .CUE/BIN (if it containts AUDIO tracks).

Reason is Alcohol eventually won't be around anymore and it's possible image mounting programs will not support the format if it changes or if they just don't want to.

Only use properietary image formats if you must. (Game is copy protected).

Hmm, yeah,
When I went to burn the Carmageddon CD threw Alcohol it only had .MDF as a choice to burn image as. I bet you could do the same with MagicISO and burn the image as .ISO then mount it on a virtual drive...?

The only reason that I had to do the fist part (make image of CD +Virtual drive) was because I couldn't get Carmageddon to work without the CD in my Actual CD Drive..

Also, Side note!
anyone figure out how to make a "point click" short cut for this? I fallowed the instructions but it didn't work... 😵

Reply 4 of 22, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank
JoblessPunk wrote:

Faster, simpler and less error-prone.

Read my 60 Seconds Guide to DOSBox. If you want to, you can still use the image-file by using imgmount instead of mount.

Reply 5 of 22, by JoblessPunk

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
MiniMax wrote:
JoblessPunk wrote:

Faster, simpler and less error-prone.

Read my 60 Seconds Guide to DOSBox. If you want to, you can still use the image-file by using imgmount instead of mount.

SAWEET!

ty dude, ok this is what I've done now.

1. Made an .ISO of the Carmageddon CD
  2. IMGMOUNT D C:\DOSGAMES\ISO\CARMA.ISO -T iso
  3. MOUNT C C:\DOSGAMES
  4. C:
  5. CD CARMAGED
  6. CARMA

and it worked! ty ty ty!

Sooo how would I make a shortcut so it would do all that for me?

Reply 6 of 22, by ADDiCT

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Your OP and follow-up posts rank high in my list of "most bizarre posts on VOGONS". Why on earth are you posting a tutorial for a topic you're not familiar with?! This is like saying "i went into a house once, i can teach you to be an architect!". Sorry, but this is just plain stupid.

Oh, and i won't even mention your lack of control of the english language.

Reply 7 of 22, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank
JoblessPunk wrote:
[…]
Show full quote
  4. C:
  5. CD CARMAGED
  6. CARMA

And that has absolutely nothing to do with INSTALLING.

Reply 8 of 22, by JoblessPunk

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
ADDiCT wrote:

Your OP and follow-up posts rank high in my list of "most bizarre posts on VOGONS". Why on earth are you posting a tutorial for a topic you're not familiar with?! This is like saying "i went into a house once, i can teach you to be an architect!". Sorry, but this is just plain stupid.

Oh, and i won't even mention your lack of control of the english language.

I totally agree with you,
But, I got it to work didn't I? + there are no other tutorials on HOW to get this game to work right? I'm just posting my findings.

and pshhhhh, WAY to NOT "mention" my lack of control of the english language. hahaha.

I'm not looking for attacks, but seriously, so what if I'm new to this. I got it to work and I bet theres a hand full of people that were looking to do the same thing as me with no luck in finding help.

MiniMax wrote:
JoblessPunk wrote:
[…]
Show full quote
  4. C:
  5. CD CARMAGED
  6. CARMA

And that has absolutely nothing to do with INSTALLING.

🤣 , yeah its more about your second part of your reply:

MiniMax wrote:

If you want to, you can still use the image-file by using imgmount instead of mount.

I updated the first post to include your thead 😁

Reply 9 of 22, by wd

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

It is absolutely recommended to install the game WITHIN dosbox.
Therefore tutorials that tell otherwise are not too helpful unless it's
the only way to get it working (highly unlikely).

Reply 10 of 22, by JoblessPunk

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
wd wrote:

It is absolutely recommended to install the game WITHIN dosbox.
Therefore tutorials that tell otherwise are not too helpful unless it's
the only way to get it working (highly unlikely).

I hear ya bra,
I added a link to MiniMax's tutorial 😁

Soooooo is anyone going to help me with the shortcut thing??

Reply 11 of 22, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Add the appropriate commands to dosbox.conf and then launch dosbox.exe pointing at the dosbox.conf. It's in the README.

Reply 12 of 22, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

Desktop Shortcuts to dosboxs run games

Reply 14 of 22, by knuckles

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I don't want to pee on anyone's parade here, but if you have XP home why do you even need DOSBox to run Carmageddon? I have the original version as sold in the UK and it has a Windows 95 mode which will run fine in compatibility mode under XP. The only reason why I used DOSBox for a while was because the game was too fast in win95 mode but adding the -hires parameter to the win95 version slowed it down sufficiently and improved graphics. (Incidentally I had the opposite problem under DOSBox - hires mode was too sluggish to be playable). I also use an image of the disc to play rather than the original disc (I can't stand the hassle and risk of scratching). Have I missed the point here?

Ps. Just to clarify, I use DOSBox a lot and find it a very useful program - but in this particular case I don't see the point...

Reply 15 of 22, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

http://www.igda.org/wiki/Rating_and_Censorshi … mes/Carmageddon

Some people don't like rebuying their games when they already have them.

Reply 16 of 22, by knuckles

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Fair enough. I didn't realise the Win95 version was a later addition - everyone I knew had the Win95 version. It seems unfair that they released it so soon after the original DOS release. I didn't buy the win 95 release of C&C for the above reason...

Reply 17 of 22, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

heh. I've had the 95 ver of C&C for years and I've always hated it because I wanted the DOS version. Later I used the DOS files from the expansion with the C&C data files.....

I've been on a "buying games I never got around to buying before" kick lately. Just bought Gothic Universe, Hitman Blood Money, Descent Freespace Great War and Silent Threat and HOMM3 Complete.

Mabye C&C DOS will be on the list.....if I can find it.

Reply 18 of 22, by knuckles

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Did C&C win 95 not also include C&C dos? That strikes me as unusual - normally games that were written in both versions included dos with the windows install. Presumably the C&C 95 edition used the same engine as Red Alert 95...?

Reply 19 of 22, by guitarxe

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey guys, I don't understand why this isn't working...
I imgmounted the .iso, ran the game, but when I try to play the game still says "Please insert carmageddon CD".

Could this have anything to do with the fact that I'm using daemon tools?

P.S knuckles, I tried what you said, to use the -hires parameter, because my game in XP would run so fast the time would fly by in a few seconds, and it worked that it slowed the game down to I think the normal level, but the graphics are different. As weird as this may sound, I actually wanted to play the game under the original graphics setting because It brings back the memories of it as how I played it long ago.
Do you know a way to slow down the game like that but leave the graphics as is?