VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by franpa

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Is there a Midi player that works in the DOSbox environment that supports SB1, SB PRO, SB 16, ADLIB, General Midi?

AMD Ryzen 3700X | ASUS Crosshair Hero VIII (WiFi) | 16GB DDR4 3600MHz RAM | MSI Geforce 1070Ti 8GB | Windows 10 Pro x64.

my website

Reply 1 of 50, by laxdragon

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm a fan of MegaMID. I use it with my MT-32, but I know it supports much more.

laxDRAGON.com | My Game Collection | My Computers | YouTube

Reply 2 of 50, by Zup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I used Cubic Player. It was more like a "software synthetizer" (as Timidity), and it was able to render MIDI songs with the GUS patches and output to any SB.

I have traveled across the universe and through the years to find Her.
Sometimes going all the way is just a start...

I'm selling some stuff!

Reply 4 of 50, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I remember some early demo versions of "Cakewalk" that was just a standalone DOS midi player, with a capability to play through OPL2/3 and also PC speaker. This is extremely hard to find now though, and only the midi CREATION (not playback) software is found.

tikbalang wrote:

so that's what it was called! Thanks! i've been looking for that for a while

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 5 of 50, by fillosaurus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

There was one good ol' player called XTC. Worked with MP3's too, at least those ones with fixed bit rates (not VBR).

Y2K box: AMD Athlon K75 (second generation slot A)@700, ASUS K7M motherboard, 256 MB SDRAM, ATI Radeon 7500+2xVoodoo2 in SLI, SB Live! 5.1, VIA USB 2.0 PCI card, 40 GB Seagate HDD.
WIP: external midi module based on NEC wavetable (Yamaha clone)

Reply 6 of 50, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

When you play a midi file with any such programs and output to an opl2 or opl3, does it need a conversion-bank or something to translate midi-instruments to opl waveforms? I Hope someone is willing to explain..

Reply 7 of 50, by Zup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Something like that... a list of parameters to feed the opl2 and opl3 when playing the MIDIs.

Actually, Cubic Player "cheated" when playing MIDIs. It needed the patches from GUS and it converted the MIDI to waveform (like timidity does), and feeded to the DACs.

I have traveled across the universe and through the years to find Her.
Sometimes going all the way is just a start...

I'm selling some stuff!

Reply 8 of 50, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
gerwin wrote:

When you play a midi file with any such programs and output to an opl2 or opl3, does it need a conversion-bank or something to translate midi-instruments to opl waveforms? I Hope someone is willing to explain..

There's usually an instrument bank to do that. Most cases are usually GENMIDI.IBK files found generated from Voyetra apps

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 10 of 50, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It's not my topic, but I tried the above programs and it all works fine except they all lack one feature that need: playback of ordinary midi files through a hardware opl3 FM chip (with stereo output, not just using it as a mono opl2). I have googled a bit and tried about ten programs but no luck so far. The games themself can do it though?

Reply 12 of 50, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
gerwin wrote:

need: playback of ordinary midi files through a hardware opl3 FM chip (with stereo output, not just using it as a mono opl2)

MIDIER does OPL3, in stereo

gulikoza wrote:

I've played midis with win31 in dosbox. Not sure if it's stereo or not...

The driver Windows ships with is OPL2. There is a OPL3 FM driver available for Win3.1 somewhere, and could even use custom instrument banks too iirc

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 13 of 50, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

leileilol: MIDIER does OPL3, in stereo

Yes I tried that too, day before yesterday, why did I remove it though?
* downloads and tries program again *
Indeed stereo FM output!
I probably removed it because it appeared to me as such a messy program, it has some issues on my PC, I will give it a second look though.

leileilol: The driver Windows ships with is OPL2. There is a OPL3 FM driver available for Win3.1 somewhere, and could even use custom instrument banks too iirc

You mean this one maybe:
http://www.midiox.com/ \ Midi Tools \ Windows FM Synthesizer driver. (did not work for my Yamaha PCI card in windows 98... says 'no opl chip found', which is kinda understandable) Seems like a great tool.

Reply 14 of 50, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I tried some more programs and for now I am most pleased with these two:

MIDPAK, by John W. Ratcliff.
The full package can be found on the internet as Dmkit150.zip. It contains a lot of files all thrown in a single folder, drivers for all kinds of soundcards. Together with John Miles variants these drivers where behind the audio output of many commercial games.
Anyway Midpak's Menu.exe is a nice midi player, and with Setm.exe you can select between opl-3 or general midi or PC-speaker etc. For Opl-3 output it uses fat.opl as an instrument bank, which is designed by the 'Fat Man' as to resemble general midi instruments. I attached to this post the files necessary for using menu.exe as described.

GSPLAY v1.0 by Mark Fontana. The second program that impressed me today: Good interface (customized text mode), worked instantly, well documented, no-nonsense, single executable... Search for GSPLAY1.ZIP.

GSPLAY is a Standard MIDI File player for IBM-compatible computers running MSDOS. The program has been specially designed for p […]
Show full quote

GSPLAY is a Standard MIDI File player for IBM-compatible computers
running MSDOS. The program has been specially designed for playing
General MIDI and Roland GS Standard MIDI files, but it will work fine
for non-GM/GS files as well. GSPLAY also includes special support for
the Roland SC-88.

Attachments

• Filename
    midpak.zip
    File size
    156.17 KiB
    Downloads
    2246 downloads
    File comment
    some midpak essentials from dmkit150.zip
    to play midi files
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 16 of 50, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

On topic again, i've finally found that Cakewalk demo again. I can't seem to get percussion channels to work though

Attachments

• Filename
    CAKE5DMO.ZIP
    File size
    450.48 KiB
    Downloads
    1573 downloads
    File comment
    Cakewalk for DOS 5.0 Demo
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 17 of 50, by alex.schroedsen

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I used to use Midier on my 386DX Packard Bell legend, it had a sound blaster pro 2, I still have the pro 2 actually. But I've recently been searching for a YMF262-M based sound card with the lowest Sound to Noise Ratio, the Microsoft Windows Sound System is where its at, 16bit 48khz ~90dB SnR Analog Devices AD1848 codec chip with a YMF262-M, the 2.0 driver does not allow the YMF262-M to be used in the windows midi devices but the 1.0a driver does. I am currently not able to play midis on the Windows Sound System device, just Adlib Tracker II and adplay etc. Because I have not been able to obtain the 1.0a drivers for the Windows Sound System or Midier. If anyone has either of these and is able to upload them, I would be very thankful.

Reply 18 of 50, by akula65

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

HiTech Labs (home of Midier) can be accessed through the Wayback Machine:

http://archive.org

Just enter Tikbalang's links given above and go to the download page.

Reply 19 of 50, by MaliceX

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Here's one no one mentioned.

http://retroworld.canell.dk/music/player/rola … smf-player.html

The guy that made the driver for this DOS player also posted videos on youtube. eg:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vw9DJHVyxng&li … RrYWbaAmP40lqeJ