VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by ulfschaper

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey everybody!

Since I bought a new computer I have some trouble with my beloved DOSBox: The mouse locking ain't working no more, at least the mouse's X axis.

If I start the games without a lock, everything works fine (besides the cursor moving out of the window). However, once I press Ctrl+F10 to enable the mouse lock, strange things happen:

- in The Settlers, the cursor jumps to the right-hand-side of the screen. I can perfectly move the cursor up and down, but the X-Axis seems to be completely dead, I can't get the cursor away from the right edge of the screen.

- in Duke Nukem 3D something similar happens once MouseLock is on: The Y-Axis (say, up and down) works as it should, but the X-Axis always makes me turn right whenever I touch the mouse. So, if I do nothing then it stands still, but if I try to turn left then the game turns right instead. (But it's not inverted, so if I try to turn right then he will also turn right.)

Does anyone have an idea?
Thank you for any hints!

Ulf Schaper

My system:
AMD64 Gentoo Linux, stable.
xorg 7.2 Dualhead (xinerama)
dosbox 0.7
Optical IntelliMouse Explorer V1, xorg-driver "mouse"
Linux 2.6.22 (gentoo-sources)

And to be complete:
Asus P5B Deluxe Wifi AP
Intel Core2Duo E6600
2GB DDR2 RAM
Matrox MGA G450 PCI & some cheap ATI PCIe card

Last edited by ulfschaper on 2007-09-21, 08:06. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 20, by simonecuttlefish

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Outrageous and silly things to try in linux when the mouse goes weird (I've had it as well)

1) Filthy ugly but can work (in freebsd with xorg 7.2 and dbox 7.1): In the Dosbox.conf file change sensitivity=100 to sensitivity=270, or even higher

and/or

2) In the Dosbox.conf file change autolock=true to autolock=false

and/or

3) Swap your USB mouse (if you are using one) for a PS2 one - this has NOTHING to do with DOS USB support : ) But it has everything to do with XORG and some of it's mouse setup - you may need to tell XORG you have a new PS2 mouse.

Hopefully someone will come in with a real solution.

I hope any of this helps. Sorry for all the edits : )

Last edited by simonecuttlefish on 2007-09-20, 23:52. Edited 3 times in total.

Reply 2 of 20, by `Moe`

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Sorry to be so unproductive, but having a dual-head AMD64 Gentoo Linux system (regular mouse driver, ATI graphics as well) myself, I am sorry to say that it works for me. Settlers work fine, and I use the linux port of duke3d (available in gentoo, but a bit difficult to get compiled on 64-bit).

Do you really use 0.7? There is 0.72 already, with DOSBox it's always worth testing the very latest version. It is way faster on 64-bit anyways.

Reply 4 of 20, by ulfschaper

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Okay, thanks so far for your hints!

@simonecuttlefish:
Changing the sensitivity just made the cursor faster. I've had changed the Autolock entry to false before (to make DOSBox launch in a usable state).
I've put some green USB-to-PS2 adaptor between my computer and my mouse, so it should be a PS/2-mouse right now. Unfortunately this doesn't resolve my problem. Thank you anyway for your ideas!

@Moe:
I've now upgraded to 0.72, and this really changed something: the Y-Axis is now also affected, my cursor wants to go to the lower-right-corner of the screen right. UPDATE: This is not related to 0.72, more on the bottom of the post.
[Once I'm done with this I'll ask you how you manage to run duke3d natively, I'm stuck with the "Not enough memory for file grouping system" message.]

@Qbix:
I don't have unclutter running, I don't even have it installed. Running processes:
init, udev, acpid, syslog-ng, atd, cupsd, openvpn, ntpd, sshd, cron, login->bash->startx->xinit->(X,fluxbox), agetty, bonobo-activation-server, xbindkeys (I've just shut this one down, doesn't help), gnome-terminal, another bash, gnome-pty-helper and gconfd.

EDIT:
I just found out something interesting:
If I have the DOSBox-window on my right screen and then lock the mouse, only the X-Axis is experiencing this problem. However, if I move the DOSBox-window to the left screen, both axes are affected.
My xorg.conf says:
Screen "Screen 0"
Screen "Screen 1" LeftOf "Screen 0"
where "Screen 1" is on the cheap ATI Radeon X300 (RV370) (ati-driver) and "Screen 0" on my MGA G450 (mga-driver).

Reply 5 of 20, by ulfschaper

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I found the problem. It's the arrangement of the Screens. My xorg.conf now says:
Screen "Screen 1"
Screen "Screen 0" RightOf "Screen 1"
And this works.

Thank you for your ideas, you made me find the right way!

Qbix: Maybe DOSBox has some inconsistency with negative cursor positions?

Reply 6 of 20, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

@ulfschaper: this is possible. DOSBox hasn't been created with 2 monitor setups in mind.
(and negative cursor positions are 2 monitors setup only I think)

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 7 of 20, by `Moe`

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Actually, you should use a "LeftOf"/"RightOf" clause on both screen declarations. At least that's what the man page says.

QBix: DOSBox in general doesn't have problems with dual-head. Been using such a setup for years without problems, even on triple-head setups.

Reply 8 of 20, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

pinned as it seems to be happening a lot lately
I wonder if distro's configure dual monitor setups correctly nowadays

Reply 9 of 20, by Amros

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello there 😀

I have somewhat the same problem. I to run dosbox on linux, and whenever i try to lock the mouse using Ctrl+F10 the cursor is stuck. In my case the cursor is stuck in the lower right corner of the screen.

I'm not trying to run this on two monitors, only one.

After I changed the autolock=true to autolock=false the mouse behaves while in window-mode, but fullscreen is another story.

I tried adjusting up the mouse-sensitivity, but this did not help. I also have no PS2-port on my computer, so i am stuck using my usb-mouse.

As I am quite new to the whole dos-emulation thing, I really do not know what to do. Any help would be great.

Regards, Amros

Reply 11 of 20, by Binary

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi folks,

I just found this topic and I'm having the same issue. I have a dual monitor configuration on Linux and I used to have the main one on the LEFT of the secondary one - and DOSBox worked fine

Now I've moved the main monitor to the RIGHT of the secondary one and the mouse in DOSBox is behaving erratically, as explained by the OP

My xorg.conf has:

screen 0 "Screen0" 0 0
screen 1 "screen1" leftof "Screen0"

If I change this by putting the screen 1 line first or using screen1 rightof screen1, X starts displaying same image on both monitors.

Any ideas? Please?
Thanks in advance

--
So long, and thanks for all the fish.

Reply 12 of 20, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

think you need something like
screen 0 "screen0" rightof "screen1"
(you need both right and left in the configfile)

Reply 13 of 20, by Binary

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks but I tried that as well and all I got was both screen showing the same 🙁

Fortunately during my search I found something here that seems to solve this issue:

http://lovehateubuntu.blogspot.com/2008/04/do … -on-ubuntu.html

"[...]create a script like this in your dosbox folder:

#!/bin/bash
export SDL_VIDEO_X11_DGAMOUSE=0
dosbox

Save it and then make it executable (either by using chmod, or right-click the file, go to Properties, choose the Permissions tab, and check "Allow executing the file as program). Now, whenever you want to run DosBox, you just run this instead of the normal dosbox executable."

Although this workaround is useful, I think this issue is definitely a DOSBox bug

--

Reply 14 of 20, by wd

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

I think this issue is definitely a DOSBox bug

I think this issue is definitely NO dosbox bug. Just browse the net a bit
for SDL_VIDEO_X11_DGAMOUSE how many issues it solves (ie. almost
every SDL application together with that special xorg combination).

Reply 15 of 20, by Binary

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Look at it from a simple point of view. All my X applications work regardless of whether I have monitor 0 or 1 on the left. DOSBox is the only one that doesn't.

So there may be others out there, I don't know. Still how hard would it be for DOSBox to work with a pretty normal and well configured X configuration?

Just my 2c 😀

--

Reply 16 of 20, by wd

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

See above.

Still how hard would it be for DOSBox to work with a pretty normal and well configured X configuration?

Feel free to try it. Other SDL apps don't fix it either but just automatically
set that env variable to look like everything is fine.

Reply 17 of 20, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

@wd - puritanism is fine, but since DOSBox is already (on Windows at least) using a tweaked version of SDL, would it be so horrible to have DOSBox on Linux tweak the installed SDL by setting an environment variable?

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 18 of 20, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

well we allready do that for linux for some things.
However I don't know of the side effects of that define. First time I hear about it.

Reply 19 of 20, by wd

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

would it be so horrible to have DOSBox on Linux tweak the installed SDL by setting an environment variable?

You don't need to change the SDL installation, it can fully be done inside
dosbox only. But reading the sdl sources this might prevent fast/usable mouse
access under linux, so for those two people who are using that configuration
it doesn't sound sensible.