VOGONS

First post, by plantfood

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I just installed DosBox and am trying to install Return to Krondor. I created a directory for my game and mounted it as the c drive, and mounted the cd-rom drive as the d drive. I switched to the d drive and I can run the directory command and see the file "setup.exe" in the list. However, when I type "setup" or "setup.exe" the prompt says "win setup.exe" and then the error "illegal command: win". I didn't type "win". What am I doing wrong?

Thanks in advance.

Kelly

Reply 3 of 12, by plantfood

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ok, duh, but it's a 16 bit game and I read somewhere else on the Web that 16 bit games run on dosbox because Win 3.1 overlayed dos. Do you have any suggestions on how to run a 16 bit game in win xp?

Reply 5 of 12, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

16bit Windows games run fine in Windows XP 32bit.

16bit Windows games only run in DOSBox if you install Windows 3.1 in DOSBox.

Is Return to Krondor a 16bit game? and would it work in Windows 3.1? Since it was released in 1998 somehow I doubt it.

Return to Krondor works fine in Windows XP, duh

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 6 of 12, by Miki Maus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Both Wikipedia and MobyGames mention that Return to Krondor is game released for Windows 95 which is logical as it came out in 1998.

Offtopic:
Did anybody else notice disturbing trend on Internet where people are recommending DOSBox for any game that doesn't run on WinXP/Vista? It seems that it doesn't matter to them if it was made for DOS or Windows. 😒

Last edited by Miki Maus on 2008-06-09, 15:39. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 12 of 12, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
collector wrote:

inway romfay hetay ommandcay romptpay?

Esyay eway avehay emthay imetay igpay atinlay inway ethay
ommandcay omppray. Ouldshay etgay idray ofway allway ofway ethay
oobsnay.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline