VOGONS

First post, by SDShannonS

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Dosbox 0.72
WinXP Pro SP2
Saitek X52

Issue: When using a joystick, the cursor rapidly drifts up and left.

I've found lots of threads reporting this problem but none of them seem to point to a conclusive fix. I've set my joysticktype to 2axis and 4axis and my timed to true and false and each possible combination of the two. Setting timed=true slows down the speed of the drift noticeably but does not resolve the issue regardless of what the joysticktype is set to.

In many of the other threads, people with this issue are pointed to the CVS builds but in each instance I could find, the person reporting the problem comes back to state that the CVS build did not improve the issue.

Can anyone recommend any other avenues of troubleshooting?

Shannon

Reply 5 of 9, by SDShannonS

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've claibrated the joystick inside the game and it doesn't change anything. I've calibrated it correctly and even calibrated it incorrectly trying to compensate for the drift and it does nothing at all to the problem. The drift remains constant no matter how the joystick is calibrated.

Calibration has been done both through the in-game tool and through the Saitek util in Windows.

Shannon

Reply 9 of 9, by SDShannonS

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
h-a-l-9000 wrote:

Set timed=false if you use cycles=auto or max and calibrate the joystick INSIDE the game (options -> joystick calibration at the main menu).

Thanks, HAL!

All the other times I had calibrated it, the timed setting must have been set to true. Setting it to false and then re-calibrating seems to have completely resolved the drift issue.

Unfortunately, now that I can actually use the joystick, I am realizing that it's almost useless. There are such huge deadzones in the middle of the X and Y axes that the joystick is all but worthless. I've ensured that the joystick software itself registers zero deadzone but the game seems to impart a massive deadzone making fine motor control virtually impossible.

Has anyone found a resolution for that by any chance?

Shannon