VOGONS

First post, by rick12373

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I recently found this video card "ATI 1090019530 Mach 32 VLB Video Card" in an old machine. Here is a link to one also:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ATI-1090019530-Mach-32-VL … 807201460r38032

Is this card any good? What type of set up is best to be used in and does it have any strengths worth noting? Really I'm just wondering if it is worth using.

Rick

Reply 1 of 13, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

You might not be able to zomg unlockin teh pieplines so i benchmark 5 points hier with that thing y'know! 😉

Seriously however, I'd say an appropriate machine to put this in to would be a fast 486 box; something like a DX2-66 for instance.

And from Wikipedia, it says:

Mach 32, released 1992

32-bit GUI accelerator with basic DOS support
Limited VESA VBE support
Video memory: 1 or 2 MiB DRAM or VRAM
Memory interface: 64-bit
Port: ISA, EISA, VLB, PCI, MCA
100% compatible with IBM 8514/A

Reply 3 of 13, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
h-a-l-9000 wrote:

The missing chip bothers me a bit though (however I don't know what it does, my PCI Mach32 has it)

I thought that too. However, it's uncertain whether or not the OP has this missing chip. The photo shown was I think an example of the card he has.

Reply 4 of 13, by rick12373

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yeah the one I have doesn't have the chip. My dos machine is running a slow pentium 1 chip at the moment. So this card might be a good match for it. I can'r remember which video card I have in it at the moment though. I think it might be an old Matrox.

Reply 6 of 13, by rick12373

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Don't know as I am work right now. It does have ISA slots but this is not the same then I assume?

Reply 7 of 13, by h-a-l-9000

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

The left connector is the VLB part. That's also where it's speed comes from. It might partially work if you plug it into a normal ISA slot but will be very slow.

1+1=10

Reply 8 of 13, by jthieme

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I had a mach 32 card vlb in my 486-66mhz machine (actually still have it running). It was a very fast 2D card for its day but it doesn't have any 3D capability. Ati was also know for buggy hardware and drivers back then, I had to get a new board from ATI and several bios updates before I could get it to work with certain games. The VLB bus interface was really only around for the 486 processors so I doubt your pentium mobo would have it.

Reply 10 of 13, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Lots of early Pentium motherboards had VLB slots (just take a look on TH99). There were even ISA only Pentium boards. Most of the VLB Pentiums are probably scrapped by now, but they certainly exist and they work just as well as VLB on a 486.

I've tested several cards on my VLB Pentium, including Mach32, Mach64, ET4000W32P, S3 764, S3 964, S3 968.

The missing chip on the Mach32 is a RAMDAC, though the card still has a RAMDAC just an inferior one. The socket is probably available to upgrade. RAMDAC doesn't affect graphics speed, just the frequencies at which screen resolutions can be displayed. I recommend getting a mach32 with the faster RAMDAC or instead a Mach64 which is much better:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ATI-109-26900-30-MACH64-V … p3286.m20.l1116

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 12 of 13, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

why not ? VLB refers to internal bus connection. not to the output ports present

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 13 of 13, by Amigaz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Anonymous Coward wrote:
Lots of early Pentium motherboards had VLB slots (just take a look on TH99). There were even ISA only Pentium boards. Most of th […]
Show full quote

Lots of early Pentium motherboards had VLB slots (just take a look on TH99). There were even ISA only Pentium boards. Most of the VLB Pentiums are probably scrapped by now, but they certainly exist and they work just as well as VLB on a 486.

I've tested several cards on my VLB Pentium, including Mach32, Mach64, ET4000W32P, S3 764, S3 964, S3 968.

The missing chip on the Mach32 is a RAMDAC, though the card still has a RAMDAC just an inferior one. The socket is probably available to upgrade. RAMDAC doesn't affect graphics speed, just the frequencies at which screen resolutions can be displayed. I recommend getting a mach32 with the faster RAMDAC or instead a Mach64 which is much better:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ATI-109-26900-30-MACH64-V … p3286.m20.l1116

Bought one of these, excellent seller

My retro computer stuff: https://lychee.jjserver.net/#16136303902327