VOGONS

Common searches

Extreme-G 2

Topic actions

First post, by DrOnuki

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've recently installed Extreme-G 2, and everything was okay, until I actually clicked to play the game.

When I click to play, the screen goes black , shows the egg-timer, and after a few seconds returns back to the main screen (Desktop) as if nothing happened!

I've tried to change the compatibility to Windows 95 and Windows 98 (it was made during Windows 95 age).

My computer fits the requirements, and I'm currently running Windows XP SP2, using DirectX 9.

I really wanna play -- anyone know what I can do?

Edit: I've tried DOSBox also, and it said that that program could not be run on DOS.

Reply 1 of 48, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

If memory serves, you absolutely need to have the Application Compatibility Toolkit to get this one to work in XP.

Here we are. Courtesy of ntcompatible.com (originally):

1. Download and install Microsoft's Application Compatibility Toolkit. Version 3.0 is available here (but Version 4 is out now too so maybe hunt the site and get that instead as it helps SP2 issues):
http://msdn.microsoft.com/downloads/list/appcomp.asp
[Actually version 5 is the latest version now - J]

2. Start the Compatbility Administrator Tool, a new database should have been created for you. Right-click on the database and give it a useful name "My Game Fixes" or similar.

3. Click "Fix".

4. Enter name "Extreme-G2" and vendor "Acclaim" then use "Browse..." to locate the "xg2pc.exe" file in the Extreme-G2 folder.

5. Click "Next >" on the Compatibility Modes page. 6. In the big drop-down list, check (tick) the box next to "IgnoreDebugOutput".

7. Click "Test Run..." to make sure game works! Then quit the game.

8. Click "Next >" on the Compatibility Fixes page.

9. Click "Finish" on the Matching Information page.

10. Use the "Save" button to save the database somewhere useful!

11. Once saved, click "File" then choose "Install" and the fix (plus any others you make in the database) will be installed so you do not need to use the Application Compatibility Toolkit to run the game in future!

12. In Control Panel>Add/Remove Programs the database you created will be listed. If you uninstall it the fixes will be removed.

13. Don't forget to set screen resolution/which graphics card to use in the shortcut (usually found on the Desktop when the game installs; otherwise follow the game's readme.txt file).

Reply 2 of 48, by DrOnuki

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks very much -- the link doesn't work though, and I can only install 5.0 (it has different options in the checkbox list!) Is there any other place to download version 3 of the Application Compatibility Toolkit?

Thanks!!

Reply 3 of 48, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I suspect searching ought to turn it up somewhere. And I also suspect that a similar checkbox ought to be in ACT 5.0 somewhere.

Anyway, you can get 4.1 from http://www.mdgx.com/xptoy.htm (search for "(ACT)" without the quotes).

ACT 2.6 is at Windows 2000 and XP - Places to Start - by Snover .

Reply 7 of 48, by VirtuaIceMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Heh, that ntcompatible detail was from me!

My PC spec: Win10 64bit, i7-4970K (not overclocked), KFA2 GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER, Creative Soundblaster ZXr, 16GB RAM, Asus Z97-A motherboard, NZXT 410 case, ROG Swift GSYNC monitor

Reply 8 of 48, by sincemcmv

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

hello from turkey,
i am really really happy to solve the xg2 problem on XP ,cause i have been looking for everywhere to solve this but it could noy make it.anyway i have a problem which you may solve.i can start the game but i can not see the texts clearly that they seem as if they are line(bold) i only can see a few text like quit but the rest is can not be read from there.and i have a video quality problem that it is too bad quality.i hope someone will help me thanks cya

Reply 12 of 48, by VirtuaIceMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The missing texures seems to affect Nvidia cards, I don't think there is a way to fix it, as I have it too 🙁

My PC spec: Win10 64bit, i7-4970K (not overclocked), KFA2 GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER, Creative Soundblaster ZXr, 16GB RAM, Asus Z97-A motherboard, NZXT 410 case, ROG Swift GSYNC monitor

Reply 14 of 48, by VirtuaIceMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I think I found it by Googling around and someone else discovered it originally!

Reply 15 of 48, by A Black Falcon

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I thought I'd find an answer to this problem here... 😀

Tried to run the game on my new Vista PC, didn't work of course, without this fix. I also have the texture problem, though -- a lot of textures are white. It doesn't really affect gameplay, but it definitely is annoying. On my old computer (WinME, GeForce2 GTS, P4 1500, etc) the game ran fine, textures and all, but on this one it doesn't... it must be something in the NVidia drivers added sometime between the last version that worked on my old comptuer and whichever version I have now, because if it was a DirectX problem, my old computer would probably have it too (some version of DX9 is definitely on that machine). Very annoying... it's frustrating that there's no fix.

At least the game can be made to work, though, which is awesome!

Reply 16 of 48, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Much has been said about the lack of hardware support for 8-bit palletized textures in newer video cards. That is quite possibly the cause of the problem on your newer computer.

Reply 17 of 48, by A Black Falcon

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ah. All menu text is just white boxes and some textures are white, but not all. Many environments are okay, but much of the cars and the starting areas are white... I wish the game supported Glide, that's how I got Pod (for instance) running on this computer (through dgVoodoo)... but no, it's D3D only. With DOS games there's DOSBox, with Glide you've got various Glide emulators, if it's a compatibility problem the issue can sometimes be solved... but an issue like this? There's not much you can do, as far as I know. What would it need, some kind of virtual videocard for Direct3D (5, in this case, I think) like the Glide ones, but immeasurably harder to make, I'd imagine?

Reply 19 of 48, by SaxxonPike

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

This may be an old topic but it's certainly a recent interest of mine 😀

I've been trying to find ways to modify the game's executable and game files to get a fully playable version. So far, I've been able to get the game working on XP with a simple hex-replace hack:

1) Convert all instances of this hex string: "FF 15 E4 56 B1 01" to "90 90 90 90 90 90" - that seems to be the call that is crashing my XP system (and it's completely unnecessary!). Now I can get the game to work.

Step two is a bit more intricate: using the program's disassembly, I'm going to determine the file format of the graphics, then write a program to convert all the Palette-based textures into a format that can be handled by modern graphics cards. My reasoning is this: if you can get SOME textures to show, they are in a supported format - meaning once the formats are deciphered, conversion should be cakewalk and everything should work again...

...I hope 😀