VOGONS

First post, by Gordon228

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

dose nullmodem under dosbox need the standerd cable and if not then how would you get it to work as i read all there is on how to make it work but what is there.

Reply 1 of 8, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

And what is this "work" you are trying to do?

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 3 of 8, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

If it is for measuring the distance between 2 PC's, then I guess any piece of cable will do.

Edit: Try reading this.

Reply 4 of 8, by Gordon228

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

i know i have not asked in the smartest of ways posible but do you need a cable for just sireal or for null modem as well. I am also wondering how to get null modem working for dosbox so that i can play non ipx games that do not support in multy player.

Reply 5 of 8, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

What games? Running on what kind of computers?

Reply 6 of 8, by Gordon228

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

note this is useing dosbox and what my ultemeat goal is to get null modem working for games like C&C, C&CRA and wing commander: armada and all machines are running xp and all games need dosbox.

Reply 7 of 8, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

Then you need a null-modem made out of thin air, a network card in each machine, and an IP network so the 2 machines can communicate, plus a few modification to the dosbox.conf file on each machine.

On machine1 (which will be hosting the game - the server):

serial1=nullmodem

On machine2 (which will be the client):

serial1=nullmodem server:xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx

where xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx is the IP-address of machine1.

All this is beautifully explained in the DOSBox Read-Me file btw.

Good thing that you did not want to measure the distance between the machines, because that is very difficult to do with a cable made out of thin air.