VOGONS

Common searches

Unable to change to...

Topic actions

First post, by Brevon

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I don't understand what is happening here.

I mount the drive like I am supposed to(mount c c:\games), I switch to the c prompt(c:), then I put in(cd\games; c:\games; cd games; c:games) and none of them go to the games directory... It just says one of two things(Unable to change to: games; Unable to change to: \games; Illegal command: C:\games) I got it to work ONCE, it went to the prompts like it should, I was able to load the game, and everything was fine.

Now it won't do it and my brain is going to explode since I'm following what I'm supposed to do and it won't go, and that it worked before and why not now?!?!!

I hope someone knows what is happening here and how to fix it.

Huge thanks to whomever can sort this out!

~Brevon

Reply 8 of 21, by Brevon

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I also tried reinstalling it.
The version is 0.72

I'm going off line for about 5-6 hours, so, if anyone has any suggestions as to what to try or do, I'll give them a whirl when I get back.

Thanks for all of your input so far as well!

~Brevon

Reply 11 of 21, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

mount C "C:\games"
C:
dir

What does that give you?

mount -u C
mount C "C:\"
C:
dir

What does that give you?

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 12 of 21, by Brevon

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

. <dir>
.. <dir>
Doom2 <dir>
Raptor <dir>
Syndic~1 <dir>
Zipfil~1 <dir>

These are the results of your first request.(above)

The second suggestion is showing all of my directories, as you would imagine, had to use the old /p command to see them all, and "games" is there.

Reply 14 of 21, by Brevon

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ugh...... I'm doing everything the way I should be. It worked ONE time, so I know it's possible.... I've tried everything that everyone here has suggested. The time that it did work, I went about it the same way everyone has been telling me to. By the way, it wasn't working before it decided to work either. I was having the same problem then as I am now.

Reply 15 of 21, by Brevon

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

AHHHHHHHH HAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!

I think I have it figured out, I'm getting confused that I should be seeing something like C:\games\doom2> When "Games" is the "C:\" itself! I tried cd doom2 and now I have "C:\DOOM2>" I think I'm good. I'll post to let everyone know if this is good or not.

Reply 18 of 21, by forreuse

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello, sorry for bringing this old post again up.
I have the exact same problem... Tried everything suggested already but still it is not working.
I played Master of Orion 2 once with dosbox everything ran just fine. But now it won't start again. I mount C: but then it gives me "unable to change to..."

I run a win7 64 bit system.

Reply 19 of 21, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

So read this thread.

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper