My machine:

Gigabyte GA5AX
GF Ti2
V2 SLI
EWS 64XL
SW60XG
768MB RAM

Running Windows 98.

I thought this machine was set up fine (it certainly was once...) but I hadn't used it for 18 months. Now... it boots up fine but I cannot look at the dispplay properties. Trying this repeatedlt gives three different error messages - basically about problems with desk.cpl, and run32.dll (thats not the full name but I am not on the machine right now) causing problems in a voodoo dll.

From what I have seen on the net, this is probably due to Voodoo 2 drivers not being installed/uninstalled properly. Previously I was using Creative 6670 drivers (which I found to be flawless) but now the card is being picked up as fastvoodoo 2.4.6 when I try to uninstall/reinstall. I guess this was the last thing I fiddled with before putting the computer on ice for so long.

I even tried reinstalling Windows but that made no difference (seemed to just pick up all the old settings). Is there any clever way to clean the registry and/or elsewhere to get it back to using 6670 drivers?

Reply 1 of 4, by Silent Loon

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Okay, this is just what came to my mind...:

- If it doesn't matter try to install w98se another time; format your hd before.
- start with 256mb ram - because you have to make some modifications in win 98 to get it run stable over 512mb (google!)
- install the GF2 first, than the EWS64XL. Use this guide : http://www.studio4all.de/htmle/welcomeewst.html
(This is also available in german).
The Yamaha sw60xg should be non-pnp, so you just have to look that it does not occupy the same midi port / IRQ as the EWS. Reserve / exclude the IRQ in the BIOS of the mobo!
- Install the voodoos using the latest DX7 reference drivers from 3dfx (not the Creative ones): www.falconfly.de.
Depending on games, try to keep the directx version "low" - if there's no need for directx 8, why installing it?
If everything runs fine, you can experiment with more system ram, fastvoodoo a.s.o.....
hope that helps!

Reply 2 of 4, by Silent Loon

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Addendum: "format your hd before" -eeehm ... I assume that this machine is only for gaming/retro purposes - if not- you HAVE TO MAKE A BACKUP of all your data before, of course.... 🤣

Reply 3 of 4, by rumbadumba

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks Silent Loon. Of course starting from scratch is what I was trying to avoid 🤣 but it may be the best thing to do.

I tried installing windows to a different directory and that (together with using ct6670 driver) seems to have solved the immediate problem. Just have to work through setting up the ews now.

I'll leave a completely fresh install for a rainier day 😖

Reply 4 of 4, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Personally speaking, I would try this - uninstall drivers for both voodoo cards, then physically remove both cards from your computer. Then re-add the voodoo cards to your computer one at a time.

The reason I suggest this is because I remember my display properties "locking up" when I had incorrectly installed two voodoo2 SLI cards. I fixed the problem by removing them both from the computer, then re-adding them one at a time.