VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Amigaz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

This is almost an embarassing question......but with what keys to you raise the collective to climb?
I'm missing the sheet with the keys to the game, I have them for my Amiga release of the game but they son't seem to work on the PC version..

My retro computer stuff: https://lychee.jjserver.net/#16136303902327

Reply 2 of 14, by Amigaz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
retro games 100 wrote:

cursor up key?

nope, I pressed all poossible keys...it must be a combination of two keys

I bet a guy from Malaysia here knows it 😉

Reply 4 of 14, by Amigaz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
dh4rm4 wrote:
SHIFT + SHIFT - […]
Show full quote

SHIFT +
SHIFT -

from the docs listed on Lemon Amiga.

http://www.lemonamiga.com/games/docs.php?id=758

Tried it, doesn't work

I already tried the Amiga controls as I wrote earlier

Reply 6 of 14, by Amigaz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Davros wrote:

I think its -/+ on the top row of the keyboard (as opposed to the numpad)

Doesn't work

Reply 7 of 14, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Here's from my Gunship 2000 Tech. Supplement:

Flight Controls

Action                           Keyboard
Cyclic Forward Up Arrow
Cyclic Back Down Arrow
Cyclic Left Left Arrow
Cyclic Left Right Arrow
Collective Up =
Collective Up Fast Shift and =
Collective Down -
Collective Down Shift and -
Tail Rotor Left none or Left Arrow
Tail Rotor Left none or Right Arrow
Gear Up/Down 3
Autopilot OnOff 5
Next Waypoint 6
Prev Waypoint 7
Bay Open/Close 8
Rotor Engage/Disengage 9
Auto-Hover 0
Change One of Left MFD z
Change Right MFD x
Low Limit - c
Low Limit + v

So yes, it is the - and = keys on top of the keyboard. By the way, have you engaged the rotor before raising the collective? Because if you press = wthout engaging the rotor first, then you'll only increase the engine throttle without actually increasing the collective at all (the engine sound will raise, but your chopper stays on the ground).

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.

Reply 8 of 14, by Geleterojo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Sorry for the necro guys, but I am having exactly the same problem... Everything seems to work fine, menus, other controls both in flight and in game menus but no matter what if I engage the rotor (9) the rotor light turns green but the collective controls are irresponsive. Any idea, amigaz did you solve the problem back then?

Thanks in advance!

Reply 9 of 14, by Zup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Are you using english keyboard? I remember that old PC games from Microprose only respond to some keys when using english keyboard (i.e.: F-19 Stealth Fighter).

In pure DOS, you could boot without loading keyboard (no KEYB line in AUTOEXEC.BAT) or pressing some combination of keys (i don't remember if it was CTRL+F1, CTRL+ALT+F1 or CTRL+SHIFT+F1). In DOSBox some of that keys are taken by keyboard mapper, so your only option is NOT to use a KEYB command.

I have traveled across the universe and through the years to find Her.
Sometimes going all the way is just a start...

I'm selling some stuff!

Reply 10 of 14, by Geleterojo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for your answer Zup.

I am a bit of a noob with DOSBox but I think I have no keyb command in the setting, the keyboard I am using is a spanish one and the game does not work in the two computers I already tried. The weird thing is that every other single control in the game works perfectly, both in the game and menus (somo missions start with the chopper already in flight and I can dive-climb-fire-use the map- everything but use the collective controls).

Reply 11 of 14, by sf78

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

In DOS flight sims you pretty much HAVE to use US settings for keyboards if you want things like throttle etc. to work right. In DOS you need to use KEYB US command, but I don't know how it would work in DOSBOX?

Reply 12 of 14, by Zup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Geleterojo wrote:

Thanks for your answer Zup.

I am a bit of a noob with DOSBox but I think I have no keyb command in the setting, the keyboard I am using is a spanish one and the game does not work in the two computers I already tried. The weird thing is that every other single control in the game works perfectly, both in the game and menus (somo missions start with the chopper already in flight and I can dive-climb-fire-use the map- everything but use the collective controls).

- Check that you really don't have that command on your AUTOEXEC.BAT (on a real PC) or in the [autoexec] section in dosbox.conf. If you use DOSBox, look in Windows Start Menu > DosBox > DosBox Options. The [autoexec] section are the last lines on that file.
- Also, you can try to switch keyboard layout before playing, typing KEYB US.
- Start your helicopter, then press 9 (to engage rotors). The red light on the torque gauge will change to green.
- After that, use the two keys between the 0 key and the backspace key to control the collective input.

Keep in mind that probably all the docs for Microprose simulators are written for english people, so the symbols match their keyboards. The = symbol is not the one on the 0 key (spanish layout) but the key that is at the left of backspace. To locate all the keys, you should look at this keyboard layout.

(You'll have the same problem with F-19 Stealth Fighter, F-117 Nighthawk, and probably every simulator written by Microprose)

I have traveled across the universe and through the years to find Her.
Sometimes going all the way is just a start...

I'm selling some stuff!

Reply 13 of 14, by Geleterojo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks a lot, the problem is solved using a single command KEYB US in dos box conf file...

But then I get into a differnete and more puzzling problem. The sim now works perfectly, but every time I get in contact with the enemy AFTER receiving some damages, the keyboard stops working, not completely, since I still can use the arrows and some commands like isner or delete, but the all the other keys (map, rotor, external views, fire, changing weapons, and so on) stop working. This is very strange and happens in two different systems... any idea?

And again, thanks a lot for your time, gentlemen.

Reply 14 of 14, by liqmat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I scanned and submitted the PC version keyboard overlays to Moby Games a while back, but of course it's compressed on their website and tiny. You can request a full resolution copy there, but let me save you the trouble. Cheers!

Gunship 2000 Keyboard Overlay XT-AT.jpg
Filename
Gunship 2000 Keyboard Overlay XT-AT.jpg
File size
1.79 MiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
Gunship 2000 Keyboard Overlay IBM 101.jpg
Filename
Gunship 2000 Keyboard Overlay IBM 101.jpg
File size