VOGONS

First post, by RayeR

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi,
maybe that someone who has LCD attached to DVI-D and use DOS find it usefull. I made two tiny utilities to control on-chip scaler. You can enable scaling to fit image on the screen or disable scaler to get 1:1 image (better for higher videomodes). Note: this doesn't change output resolution which is set for DVI-D - just disable scaler+add black border around.
http://rayer.ic.cz/programm/programe.htm#NVSC

Reply 2 of 31, by RayeR

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

This is primary for DOS and operating systems that can call realmode BIOS functions. But you don't need it in windows at all because nVidia drivers have this settings (on my 7900GT is scaler disabled and lower videomodes are passed directly). But under DOS or Linux/vesaFB you hadn't any control.

Reply 5 of 31, by dr.zeissler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
RayeR wrote:

Hi,
maybe that someone who has LCD attached to DVI-D and use DOS find it usefull. I made two tiny utilities to control on-chip scaler. You can enable scaling to fit image on the screen or disable scaler to get 1:1 image (better for higher videomodes). Note: this doesn't change output resolution which is set for DVI-D - just disable scaler+add black border around.
http://rayer.ic.cz/programm/programe.htm#NVSC

this could be VERY! usefull for me, can I get it somewhere?
thx!

PS: but why a ATI cards chrystal-clear in DVI under plain Dos and low-res with no borders?

Retro-Gamer 😀 ...on different machines

Reply 6 of 31, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

https://web.archive.org/web/20111129132941/ht … ograme.htm#NVSC

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 7 of 31, by dr.zeissler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

thx, but it does not do, what I need.I think Nvidia added some sort of "antialiasing-filter" on the scaler that leeds to lowers-blurryness.
I need to turn of the antialiasing to get a clear and sharp lowers picture.

Reply 8 of 31, by dr.zeissler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Interesting point is, that while running windows200 and switch for some lowers scene-remakes of 68k intros,
the lowres seems fine to me, so why is 320x200 sharp and clear within started win2k and very blurry while running plain msdos?

Reply 9 of 31, by superfury

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Perhaps a matter of emulation(win2k) with different upscaling(whole pixel doubling/tripling in integer ratios) vs real hardware output((S)VGA video card output being stretched by the monitor itself)?

Author of the UniPCemu emulator.
UniPCemu Git repository
UniPCemu for Android, Windows, PSP, Vita and Switch on itch.io

Reply 11 of 31, by RayeR

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi, my website moved from ic.cz to g6.cz some years ago.
http://rayer.g6.cz/programm/programe.htm#NVSC
I tested and used it on a (nowdays very oldskool 😀 Nvidia 7600GS/7900GT and it works (VGA is still working and I don't need newer one) - I get a small image on center of my LCD monitor exactly 1:1. But maybe that nvidiots decided to remove such features (same as vbe3 refresh settings) from videobios on newer graphics cards...

Gigabyte GA-P67-DS3-B3, Core i7-2600K @4,5GHz, 8GB DDR3, 128GB SSD, GTX970(GF7900GT), SB Audigy + YMF724F + DreamBlaster combo + LPC2ISA

Reply 14 of 31, by RayeR

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

AFAIK it's not possible or not documented, sorry.

Gigabyte GA-P67-DS3-B3, Core i7-2600K @4,5GHz, 8GB DDR3, 128GB SSD, GTX970(GF7900GT), SB Audigy + YMF724F + DreamBlaster combo + LPC2ISA

Reply 16 of 31, by RayeR

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
dr.zeissler wrote:

I doubt that nvitiots will bother with some reply. I asked them about some documentation how to set refreshrate without vbios support and nobody replied.
Maybe you can find a LCD monitor with some magnify function that would not do blurry interpolation (if such feature exist).

Reply 18 of 31, by RayeR

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The scaler in LCD is not involved as the VGA already scaled it for you. But i think that I have seen a LCD with magnify feature that allowed you to zoom a par of the screen that you defined but i don't remember what LCD brand it was...

Reply 19 of 31, by dr.zeissler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I went back to i865gv due to the fact, that there is no real solution for my purpose.

In short:
- Nvidia: DVI-Output ugly, VGA output not centred !
- ATI: DVI-Output sharp, drivers and compatibility ugly! (Dos-Vesa, Win9x/Win2k drivers do crash my machine, black icons, freezes, argh! no way)
- Intel: VGA sharp and clear, dos-compatiblity excellent ! fast enough for retro-gaming (up to q3 enigine)

Doc