VOGONS

dosbox for s60 (symbian) first results

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

First post, by kolijoco

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

hi all,
with the help of some gurus on the forum, i've finally gotten my s60 (wincw emu for now) build to run - which has been done before -, and also to run a dos game (magic candle) - which i'm not so sure has been done.
anyway, if all goes well, there will be some updates and hopefully a sisx release soon...
here's a shot :-)
cheers!

ps: eye of the beholder actually plays! i had to do some key mapping so that i can make the setup choices, but after that the sdl virtual mouse pointer worked (almost) like a charm :-)

ps2: an emulator running in an emulator... creepy :-)

Attachments

• eob_emu.png
    Filename
    eob_emu.png
    File size
    78.48 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • mcandle_emu.png
    Filename
    mcandle_emu.png
    File size
    72.44 KiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 3 of 197, by kolijoco

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

dynamic arm will have to wait a bit, for now i'm happy normal core is working

will spend today trying to build a gcce release (its a bit more fussy about iso c++ compliance)... so keep your fingers crossed :-)

update:

moved to debugging on target (my trusty e51). the inits all check out (after reducing emulated ram size from 16M). but seems i'm losing some of my static constants (probably have to tune the linker settings a bit), i'm expecting to iron that out with some googling/foruming... :-)

Reply 4 of 197, by kolijoco

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

haha!
the good news: its finally working :-)
the bad news: its pretty slow (haven't tinkered with any settings yet)...
check out the photo (its blurred. i have yet to figure out how to photograph my phone's screen)

Attachments

• eob_e51.png
    Filename
    eob_e51.png
    File size
    447.71 KiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 6 of 197, by William 'Bill' Munny

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

nice and congratulations for your work. have you tray that in OMAP 2 (N95)?
really curious to see the performance in OMAP 2.

She was a comely young woman and not without prospects. Therefore it was heartbreaking to her mother that she would enter into marriage with William Munny, a known thief and murderer, a man of notoriously vicious and intemperate disposition.

Reply 7 of 197, by Freddo

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
William 'Bill' Munny wrote:

nice and congratulations for your work. have you tray that in OMAP 2 (N95)?
really curious to see the performance in OMAP 2.

It's been ported to N8xx, which use OMAP2420. You can read about it here. Don't expect it to be noticeably different than E51, though, since it's the CPU that do all the work and they both use similiar ARM11 CPUs. The OpenGL ES hardware support on OMAP2 is pretty much useless for this software.

Reply 10 of 197, by kolijoco

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

ok, i'm pushing to get something releasable assembled.

to that end i've implemented screen rotations, and virtual mouse controls (i've troubles with s60sdl's own virtual mouse). thats done.

i'm ironing out config file usage, so the user has an easy way to configure screen orientation, and possibly key mappings.)

i promise i'll check out the arm core, when thats done :-)

Reply 14 of 197, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

(its blurred. i have yet to figure out how to photograph my phone's screen)

If you use a digital camera, use the button (or setting) that has a flower on it. That setting enables you to photograph smaller stuff (I think it's called something with makro or so...)
But nice that you got it to work!

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 16 of 197, by kolijoco

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

ok, lets try this. here's something adventurous people might like to test drive.

not sure about system requirement, i would guess you need at least a 3rd edition s60 device, and having a minimum 320x240 (either orientation) display is probably a good start.

the release includes:
-my gcce release build,
-the s60 sdl binary release,
-nokia's openc redists (the redistribution license document is included, if you don't agree to the terms within, don't use them! from my limited understanding this should be ok, if not, let me know and i'll kill the post).
-example dosbox.conf and mapper.txt
-"detailed" 😀 instructions in README.TXT

DO READ THE README.TXT !!!

[attachment removed]

Reply 17 of 197, by kolijoco

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

as said, i'm testing mainly with "Eye of the Beholder 1", its available on just about every abandonware site out there (goog'lit).

consider trying games with low system requirements and conservative key assignments (you won't really be able to type anything on a T9).

if you find a game playable, let us know :-)

Reply 18 of 197, by fernando20

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Good news, it works on S60 fifth edition! No keyboard means I can't do anything with it, but it's already awesome, will try on my N95 later.

edit: no dice on my N95-1, dies with a not enough memory error on boot. So you'd need more then 30mb free ram it seems.

Attachments

• Photo 53.jpg
    Filename
    Photo 53.jpg
    File size
    62.07 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    dosbox s60
    File license

Reply 19 of 197, by Freddo

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
fernando20 wrote:

edit: no dice on my N95-1, dies with a not enough memory error on boot. So you'd need more then 30mb free ram it seems.

I got the same problem with my old phone (6120 classic). Seems like a new phone is in order! 😜 Hopefully Nokia will announce some device that catch my interest at the GSMA Mobile World Congress in two weeks.

Still, well done kolijoco! 😁

I belive the 6120 classic was the last S60 phone Nokia released with only 64mb system RAM, so any newer S60 phone should be fine.