VOGONS

Common searches

Duke Caribbean: Life's a Beach Runetime Error

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

First post, by ChilledMonkeyBrains

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I installed the GAMER software, activated the addon pack to its own copy of Duke Nukem 3D Atomic, and it seemed to work fine. But when I go to CARIB.exe and try to play a game, I get this message:

"runtime error 003 at 0000:0c88"

What do i need to do to get this game to work?

Reply 3 of 36, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

it's a bit vague.
please post the exact command you type to run the game. (and the command you used to install the addon (which you ofcourse did inside dosbox))

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 4 of 36, by ChilledMonkeyBrains

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

INSTALL:

E:\CARIBBEA\install

(already had GAMER installed for Duke it out in D.C.)

C:\GAMER
GAMER

(activated the Life's a Beach add-on to a seperate copy of Duke Nukem ATOMIC from Duke it out in D.C.)

C:\CARIBBEA (where I have the Life's a Beach add-on going)
CARIB

Then I get the runtime error.

Reply 6 of 36, by ChilledMonkeyBrains

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Lines in AUTOEXEC section of DOSBox.conf
MOUNT C C:\dosgames
MOUNT D D:\ -t cdrom
MOUNT E C:\test\CARIBBEA -t cdrom
C:
SD (I have StupenDOS 3.0 installed in DOSBox. It works.)

started DOSBOX

E:\CARIBBEA\install.exe

GAMER Software was detected.

A copy of Duke Nukem 3d ATOMIC detected in C:\ CARIBBEA
This is the copy of Duke Nukem I used for Life's a Beach.

Add-on pack installed.

C:\GAMER\GAMER.EXE

Activated Life's a Beach Add-on.

C:\CARIBBEA\CARIB.EXE

Selected Single Player from the Menu that appears.

Runtime error 003 at 0000:0c88

Reply 11 of 36, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

well install duke and both addons from within dosbox and use the same mounting to run them.

I don't own the expansions I only have the atomic edition, so I can't advice futher.

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 12 of 36, by SKARDAVNELNATE

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I just got Caribbean and I'm having the same problem.

Set up Duke3D in DOSBox
Set up Caribbean Vacation in DOSBox
Run CARIB.EXE
select either Single Player or Multiplayer
runtime error 003 at 0000:0c88

The strange thing about this is that if I double click on CARIB.EXE it runs in Windows XP. I also noticed that it created 10 files when it successfully launched. These look like MRK, NO¥, OM¥, SCP, and GRP. These are then deleted when it exits. I copied these files while it was running and added them before launching the game in DOSBox. This time it worked. I don't think DOSBox is allowing for these files to be created.

Edit 1:
It doesn't work entirely. I'm now shooting aliens in Hawaiian shirts with a water pistol only I'm not able to load the new levels. Though it is a clue as to what the error message means.

Edit 2:
Thinking the additional files might be backups of ones that have been edited I copied the full DUKE3D folder while Carribean was running in WinXP. Unlike Duke DC this one goes back to the normal game without disabling it in Gamer. Now when I launch the copy in DOSBox I get everything I expected. One side note. To work in WinXP DUKE3D.CFG needed BlasterInterrupt = 5, in DOSBox it should be BlasterInterrupt = 7. This can be changed in setup or edited manually.

Reply 14 of 36, by SKARDAVNELNATE

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yes, as I got it working. Please read on.

I launched the game in WinXP and noticed that 10 files were created. This didn't happen when run in DOSBox. When Caribbean exits these files are removed. One of these was VACATION.GRP. When I copied this I no longer got the error. So it must have been looking for the path to VACATION.GRP.

However this only changed the weapons and aliens. I had to copy the complete folder to include files that were edited. This is where it's failing in DOSBox. CARIB.EXE doesn't make the changes to the game directory.

Edit:
I found that if I want to back up my game folder with a zip file I have to do so without compression. If I compress then extract I get the error message again. If I had compression set to none when zipped I can still play after extracting.

Reply 18 of 36, by SKARDAVNELNATE

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You could try copying one file at a time. It may be just one file you're unable to read and not the whole folder. I'm not sure what the forum rules are about providing them. I wouldn't think it's an issue since you already have them, just not in a state that works with DOSBox. Though I have been wrong before. Also since it runs in WinXP you could just play it like that and see if any errors occur.