VOGONS

First post, by TubeZ

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Trying to play simant, but when i select setup.exe in dosbox by mounting the drive then typing setup.exe which is SUPPOSED to run the program
the next line shows what i typed (C:\SIMANT\Setup.exe is what i typed)
but it randomly shoves a win in there so it is like this:
C:\SIMANT\win Setup.exe
which gives me a message "illegal command: win"
I'm running vista 64-bit, running dosbox in compatibility mode for win XP sp2
SimEarth same thing, except it doesn't do the win thing but tells me i need microsoft windows

Reply 3 of 4, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Trying to play simant, but when i select setup.exe in dosbox by mounting the drive then typing setup.exe which is SUPPOSED to ru […]
Show full quote

Trying to play simant, but when i select setup.exe in dosbox by mounting the drive then typing setup.exe which is SUPPOSED to run the program
the next line shows what i typed (C:\SIMANT\Setup.exe is what i typed)
but it randomly shoves a win in there so it is like this:
C:\SIMANT\win Setup.exe
which gives me a message "illegal command: win"

DOSBox is SUPPOSED to only run DOS programs. SimAnt is a Windows program.

The error message: "illegal command: win" is telling you that you are trying to run a Windows program in DOS which obviously will not work.

I'm running vista 64-bit, running dosbox in compatibility mode for win XP sp2

You never need to run compatibility mode on DOSBox. It's like running compatibility mode on a text file (if you could) it doesn't do anything.

SimEarth same thing, except it doesn't do the win thing but tells me i need microsoft windows

Because it's a Windows program so you need to run it in Windows and no trying to run it in DOSBox which is running in Windows does not count.

SimAnt and SimEarth are likely 16bit Windows programs and as such cannot be run in a 64bit OS. If you want to play these games on a 64bit OS then you need to:

Download Vmware/VirtualBox/VPC and install a 32bit Windows OS and play your 16bit Windows games in there.
or
Install MS-DOS and Windows 3.1 in DOSBox and play your 16bit Windows games in there.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline