VOGONS

FSAA on Geforce 2 cards?

Topic actions

First post, by subculture2

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi,

Just wondering here. Does the Openglide patch support FSAA on the Geforce 2 card?

I was considering using the Openglide wrapper in Red Baron 3D, as I'm upgrading to a faster processor soon. Currently using a Voodoo 2 card.

if there isn't any FSAA abaility, then I may go and purchase a S/H Voodoo 5.

Cheers

Andy

Reply 1 of 20, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

You can enable FSAA from display properties. OpenGlide doesn't have to do anything special for the sake of FSAA. The only thing that can be a problem is that sometimes a card will revert to a 16 bit depth buffer when usinf FSAA. This can lead to poke through problems. I don't think that happens with RB though.

Reply 2 of 20, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by subculture2 I was considering using the Openglide wrapper in Red Baron 3D, as I'm upgrading to a faster processor soon. Currently using a Voodoo 2 card.

if there isn't any FSAA available, then I may go and purchase a S/H Voodoo 5.

What processor were you going to use? I can tell you that with this setup:
Pentium II 450MHZ Motherboard
Geforce 2 Titanium 64MB
384MB PC100 SDRAM
10GB 5400RPM Hard Drive
Windows 2000

...you don't have much horsepower for FSAA. The GeForce2 will do it, the Voodoo 5 might do better (especially since it supports Glide natively), but either way the CPU needs a real boost. Also, FSAA doesn't really shine until you hit the higher resolutions like 1024x768.

Since 3dfx is gone, I wouldn't get the V5 unless you can get it for a really low price.

Reply 3 of 20, by subculture2

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I 'm getting a free Pentium III machine soon, so that should help things along a bit.

From the research I've carried out , the fillrate of a Voodoo 5 card tops out with a Pentium III processor, so there isn't much point going beyond that spec of processor if I stick with a Glide card.

Regarding using my Geforce card, I tried initially using the Glidos wrapper, but the fps were awful, no doubt owing to my aged processor.

What speed of processor do you suggest for good fps with the Glidos wrapper?

The Voodoo 2 provides very respectable fps, but the resolution is low, and I run a 19" monitor, so 1024x756 is a bare minimum for me.

Voodoo 5 cards seem to run at a premium, I see them go for between £20-40 on ebay, which is a lot for a piece of redundant hardware.

We'll see!

Andy

Reply 4 of 20, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

What exactly do you mean by 'redundant'? The Voodoo5 has a 2D processor on it, so it's a solo card...

and, I don't understand you people. I have a 22" monitor and I can deal with 800x600 in games just fine. I know someone with a 17" monitor that won't run at less than 1600x1200... ridiculousness!

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 5 of 20, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
subculture2 wrote:

Its not Glidos you use for RB; its OpenGLide. And there are later versions at source forge (http://sourceforge.net/projects/openglide) with significant optimisations. Also I think there are settings in the game that slow things down; anything that puts test on the screen causes a slow down. Read the various threads here about RB.

Reply 6 of 20, by subculture2

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Snover wrote:

What exactly do you mean by 'redundant'? The Voodoo5 has a 2D processor on it, so it's a solo card...

Do what? 3DFX are long since dead, swallowed up by Nvidia, so the card won't be getting any further support from them, plus it's old outdated hardware which will struggle with the latest titles- that's what I mean by redundant.

and, I don't understand you people. I have a 22" monitor and I can deal with 800x600 in games just fine. I know someone with a 17" monitor that won't run at less than 1600x1200... ridiculousness!

Fair enough! I like to play at hi-res, cuase it looks a lot better. Far off objects are clear and this is especially important in games like Red Baron.

Whatever floats your boat.

Andy

Reply 8 of 20, by CraigG

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Couldn't you jst get yourself a cheap second-hand Geforce 3 ti500 ?

Or is cost the 'thing' here ?

I just sold my Asus GF3 Ti500 64Mb, for £45. And the normal GF3 cards go for around £40.
Although I guess it depends on your part of the world.

But with a GF3, you'll at least get useable FSAA at 800x600 tops.
After that it does take quite a hit, unless you have a ti4600.

Athlon 64 3000+ stock
MSI NForce 4 K8N Neo Platinum
2Gb RAM
nVidia Geforce 6800GT stock clocks
SBLive! Platinum + Audigy ZS2 Drivers
WinXP Pro SP2

Reply 9 of 20, by subculture2

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm not convinced that my Geforce 2 Titanium card is bottle necking the system here, as it performs very well in other applications that i use it with.

I think I need a better processor, memory and Mobo set-up before considering any graphics upgrade.

In the meantime, I'll try out those Openglide links and see what sort of performance I get!

Andy

Reply 10 of 20, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I can assure you that your card is not the main bottleneck on your system. It's your CPU. You'd have to get up past 700MHz or 1GHz before the CPU will overtake that video card in terms of load-handling capability.

Your amount of RAM is also not critically low. While 512MB would be better (especially if you decide to upgrade from Win2k to XP), 384 is very respectable.

Reply 11 of 20, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

What's a nice quiet GeForce3 card? I've got a Ti500 from Hercules and it's loud as an airplane (no seriously, every time I turn my computer on I feel like I'm sitting next to the wings in an airplane cabin).

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 12 of 20, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Snover wrote:

What's a nice quiet GeForce3 card? I've got a Ti500 from Hercules and it's loud as an airplane (no seriously, every time I turn my computer on I feel like I'm sitting next to the wings in an airplane cabin).

Dude, all it takes is a screwdriver to swap out a loud fan for a quieter one that moves just as much air...

Reply 13 of 20, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by subculture2 I 'm getting a free Pentium III machine soon, so that should help things along a bit.

True.

From the research I've carried out , the fillrate of a Voodoo 5 card tops out with a Pentium III processor, so there isn't much point going beyond that spec of processor if I stick with a Glide card.

Right, It's main strength is that it can run the Windows version of Glide without a "wrapper", which would slow things down quite a bit...

No easy way to calculate that, it involves the processor requirements of the game and what type of video card you have...too many variables...

The Voodoo 2 provides very respectable fps, but the resolution is low, and I run a 19" monitor, so 1024x756 is a bare minimum for me.

Understood, it's just that you're talking about 1024x768 with FSAA plus Windows Glide emulation...that's a heavy burden...

Originally posted by Snover What exactly do you mean by 'redundant'? The Voodoo5 has a 2D processor on it, so it's a solo card...

I think he meant "antiquated" or "dated"...

Originally posted by subculture2 ...it looks a lot better. Far off objects are clear and this is especially important in games like Red Baron.

...and any other game with wide, open areas. The castle by the Waterfall/Swamp in Hexen looks good in 640x480, but it's excellent in 1024x768. Seeing it far away, then approaching it as looms larger and larger, really adds to the visual impact of the game...as opposed to the low-res version where you have to get close just so you can tell what it is...

Originally posted by subculture2 I'm not convinced that my Geforce 2 Titanium card is bottle necking the system here, as it performs very well in other applications that i use it with.

No, but I bet it starts to choke using OpenGlide and FSAA at 1024x768 on a P2 processor.

Originally posted by Snover What's a nice quiet GeForce3 card?

My GF3 is quiet. Of course, it's technically a Ti200, but I can overclock to Ti500 speeds as needed. Hrmm. Is the fan running at a fixed rate or one of those that adjusts according to cooling needs?

I've got a Ti500 from Hercules and it's loud as an airplane (no seriously, every time I turn my computer on I feel like I'm sitting next to the wings in an airplane cabin).

Once got a Pioneer DVD-ROM. Sounded just like a F16 warming up its engine...constantly. Returned it very quickly as I figured the hearing loss wasn't worth it.

Reply 14 of 20, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Nicht Sehr Gut wrote:

My GF3 is quiet. Of course, it's technically a Ti200, but I can overclock to Ti500 speeds as needed. Hrmm. Is the fan running at a fixed rate or one of those that adjusts according to cooling needs?

It's a lovely fixed-rate `blue orb' fan.

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 15 of 20, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by Snover It's a lovely fixed-rate `blue orb' fan.

Ok, then "underclocking" won't help. I'm afraid HunterZ's suggestion is the most logical one.

That's twice in the same day...truly I am outraged.

Reply 17 of 20, by subculture2

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Snover wrote:

Watercooling, or a better heatsink from quietpc.com plus a ballraced fan should do the trick.

I'm going down the watercooling path methinks!

Andy:)

Reply 18 of 20, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Nicht Sehr Gut wrote:

Ok, then "underclocking" won't help. I'm afraid HunterZ's suggestion is the most logical one.

That's twice in the same day...truly I am outraged.

Heh heh heh 😉 I updated my title 😜

Reply 19 of 20, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Nice, HunterZ.

subculture2, I can't really use passive cooling since every slot of mine is filled up (the same reason I can't get a GFFX). I could really use a new computer. Like, it's not that this one isn't fast enough or anything at all like that, it just has problems, like, it's loud, and LAME locks it up hard. You know, stuff like that.

Yes, it’s my fault.