VOGONS

Reply 20 of 27, by redgriffith

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I play directly with the Cdrom.
Nevertheless I have created the bin/cue if necessary (but it's react Identically)

I've tried that :

-t cdrom -usecd 0 -noioctl (game is slow, music bug)
-t cdrom -ioctl_dx (music bug)
-t cdrom -ioctl_mci (game is slow, music bug)
-t cdrom -ioctl_dio (music bug)
-t cdrom -aspi (game don't launch, mscedx failure..)

The music begin during 2sec and stop or repeating Infinitely.
i check on windows media player, the music play without problems and there is no wear on the CD. That a real mystery...

Reply 21 of 27, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

the img can be mounted with imgmount the compatibility of that one is different from regular mount

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 22 of 27, by redgriffith

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ok with the image file (after reinstalling the game):

[autoexec]
mount C "C:\"
mount J "J:\" -t cdrom
imgmount J C:\SOCCERKID.cue -t iso -fs iso
C:
cd krisalis
cd kid2
go.bat

I tried :

-t cdrom (music bug)
-t cdrom -usecd 0 -noioctl (music bug)
-t cdrom -ioctl_dx (music bug)
-t cdrom -ioctl_mci (music bug)
-t cdrom -ioctl_dio (music bug)
-t cdrom -aspi (music bug)

😖

Reply 24 of 27, by redgriffith

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

i haven't an old Pc to test it... I'll try on virtual PC 2007 with windows 98 (games don't launch) and with windows 2000 : the game lauches but the music bug. But curiously if i go back to windows without quit the game (taskbar) the music works. So when i try to go back in the game, the music stop, and if i repeat (go to windows without quit) the music restart !
Virtual PC is still emulation so it's not a real test....Could you test it if you have an old pc ? 😅

Reply 25 of 27, by jamyskis

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

My apologies for necroing this thread, but it seemed pointless to create a new thread with exactly the same problem, and in fact, what started out as a request for help is now a solution.

My newly acquired CD-ROM version of Soccer Kid was also experiencing precisely the same problem, in that DOSBox seemingly tries to get the music to play again and again, both on the title screen and in-game. I'd tried from the CD itself with all of the access modes, and I've tried making a BIN/CUE image, mounting it with IMGMOUNT, again with the same access modes.

As it so happens, I had a similar problem with Body Blows Galactic some time ago, and I was about to reference it in case it was useful to know. I then gave ripsaw8080's solution a try based on his/her explanation of how it works, adding it to the GO.BAT script for Soccer Kid, and indeed it works beautifully.

tl;dr: If you're having a problem with the Soccer Kid redbook audio, try this: Ultimate Body Blows

Ryzen 5 3600 @ 4.2GHz per core
16GB RAM DDR4
AMD RX 580
6TB hard drive over three hard drives
Windows 10 Pro

Reply 26 of 27, by redgriffith

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
jamyskis wrote:
My apologies for necroing this thread, but it seemed pointless to create a new thread with exactly the same problem, and in fact […]
Show full quote

My apologies for necroing this thread, but it seemed pointless to create a new thread with exactly the same problem, and in fact, what started out as a request for help is now a solution.

My newly acquired CD-ROM version of Soccer Kid was also experiencing precisely the same problem, in that DOSBox seemingly tries to get the music to play again and again, both on the title screen and in-game. I'd tried from the CD itself with all of the access modes, and I've tried making a BIN/CUE image, mounting it with IMGMOUNT, again with the same access modes.

As it so happens, I had a similar problem with Body Blows Galactic some time ago, and I was about to reference it in case it was useful to know. I then gave ripsaw8080's solution a try based on his/her explanation of how it works, adding it to the GO.BAT script for Soccer Kid, and indeed it works beautifully.

tl;dr: If you're having a problem with the Soccer Kid redbook audio, try this: Ultimate Body Blows

Hello, thanks for you response !

But how do you add the fix to GO.Bat ?

Thanks in advance !

red

Reply 27 of 27, by Nilex

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
redgriffith wrote:

But how do you add the fix to GO.Bat ?

Right click on it -> Edit -> then:

UBBFIX
D:KID.EXE

UBBFIX.ASM and UBBFIX.COM must be in the same folder as GO.BAT.
It's just a way to save you re-typing the same two lines every time you wish to run the game. Instead you GO for it.

Thank you again ripsaw... had the same issue 😀

Intro Movie remains muted though (CD-ROM version). Was it like that in the original, anybody?

UPDATE: Nevermind, solved it. Crucial part was the game must be run with "D:KID" from within whatever folder
the CONFIG.KID resides (the install location). God forbid I try to optimize it by saving a couple of lines in [autoexec] 😵
P.S. Looks like the Krisalis Software is the only company to successfully emulate PC speaker using Sound Blaster 16 😲