Common searches

Outlaws (LucasArts) under Vista

Topic actions

First post, by ADDiCT

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've been trying to play Outlaws on my Vista x64. I have installed all available updates and the D3D patch. The game basically runs very well, even the cutscenes play at the correct speed. (D3D)

But: when using the D3D renderer, i get graphical errors when walking into, for example, barns (anything with an open door). It looks like the graphics are "stuck", only part of the screen gets updated and the rest stays black. If i turn around and walk back out or backwards towards the door/gate, the graphics go back to normal. With the DDraw renderer, i get wrong colours in the cutscenes and the game.

Has anyone tried playing this game under a modern OS? Are there any tricks, like reg or DirectX tweaks, to make the game work correctly? Guess the next thing i'll try is a GLIDE wrapper.

EDIT: hmmm, not much luck with dgvoodoo, too. I've copied the dgvoodoo files to the game dir, but there's no "3DFX" entry in the game's config app. Any help is appreciated. FWIW, i've installed the game in a XP VM and copied the files to the Vista filesystem and imported the registry afterwards.

Reply 1 of 37, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Before the D3D patch came out I had played it with an old Glide wrapper called XGL200 which worked VERY WELL for Outlaws.

The video configuration has options for glide regardless of the dll existing or not.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 3 of 37, by ADDiCT

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've only tried dgvoodoo so far and installed Zeckensack's wrapper, but i don't see any 3DFX related options in the game launcher.

The video configuration has options for glide regardless of the dll existing or not.

I wonder what you mean by that. When starting the launcher, i see only three entries: "Direct3D (HW Accelerated)" (this shows up after installing the D3D patch), "DirectDraw (Full Screen)" and "Window".

The Outlaws readme (to be precise, the Glide 2.3 driver readme) says:

ENABLING ACCELERATED 3D GRAPHICS
--------------------------------
To set up the 3Dfx Glide Driver:
* Go to the Outlaws Launcher.
* Choose Change Video Mode.
* Click on 3Dfx Glide 2.3 under Display Driver.
* Click on one of the available video modes.
* Click OK to return to the launcher.
* Click on Play Outlaws to begin the game.

This makes me think i should see some sort of 3DFX entry in the launcher.

Reply 4 of 37, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Mabye a seperate patch for the game for glide? Don't have the game so just guessing.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 5 of 37, by Hazekel

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I "upgraded" to Windows 7 with a new computer and I cannot install OUTLAWS because it is apparently a 16 bit install program. I can copy the files from my old computer, but the registry doesn't know where the game is so only some parts of the game work (no sound effects, no patching, and other occasional crashes evident).

Does anyone know how to get this game working correctly on Windows 7? I have solved the color correction problem, but need to solve the sound effects and registry problem ... as well as installing the 3D patch.

Thanks in advance.

Reply 6 of 37, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The game does have seperate patches for both Direct3D and Glide support:
http://www.olmaps.com/files.html
Not sure if it it possible to have both renderers available at the same time or the patching order. DirectDraw and Direct3D both work perfectly out of the box here so it's probably a nvidia driver issue.

Attached registry information (rename to .reg) with the game's registry entries.

Attachments

• Filename
    a.txt
    File size
    12.69 KiB
    Downloads
    1301 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 7 of 37, by Hazekel

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thank you very much, but I am registry illiterate. Can you explain exactly how to add these values to the registry and direct the registry to the correct file path? When you say rename ".reg" to you mean "a.reg"? "Outlaws.reg"? Sorry, but for all my computer knowledge, registries are the one thing I have stayed away from 😖

Reply 8 of 37, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

If you run the game's executable, OLWIN.EXE, instead of the launcher, OUTLAWS.EXE, you don't need any registry entries.

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 9 of 37, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

He does for the patches.

Hazekel: just open it with a text editor and find this line:

"Source Path"="F:"

change into whatever your CD drive is, then rename the file to a.reg and double click it. Install Outlaws to the default location (C:\Program Files\LucasArts\Outlaws)

Reply 10 of 37, by Hazekel

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Re: collector

I am running from OLWIN and it does start and everything, but I get no sound effects, only music. I am assuming it doesn't know where to look for the sound effect files. Am I wrong? Why am I getting music by no sound effects?

Reply 11 of 37, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Try this. It copies all of the same files as the original installer and writes only the minimal required registry entries that the original installer does, but is 32-bit. It also makes a couple of compatibility settings. I might try to add support for a full install for CD-less play.

Attachments

• Filename
    OutlawsSetup.exe
    File size
    103.21 KiB
    Downloads
    7287 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 12 of 37, by Hazekel

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

re : Zell

Double clicking just opens it to a text editor. Nothing else. What should I be running this with? I have never used a REG file before. Thanks

re: Collector

Thanks. Will give it a try.

Reply 15 of 37, by Hazekel

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Okay got it going. The problem with the sound effects was simple. It turns out that the music is played from Windows CD player but the game sound effects from within the game. The CD music was so loud I turned down the sound, but couldn't hear the game effects. Had to turn up sound in game and down in Windows!

As for the color problem in Windows 7, just make a BAT file as follows :

taskkill /F /IM explorer.exe
OLWIN.exe
Start explorer.exe

That eliminates the color problem in 64-bit operating systems. It also works for other games if you experience them.

Thanks. One of these days I will try to put the entire game on HD, but I am just happy it is working now.

Reply 17 of 37, by Hazekel

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Actually, I copied the files from an older computer, which already had the patch (windows 7 will not install the patch). I then used the REG file to change the registry settings. I added the batch file, as shown above, to get rid of color problems. Turned down Windows volume and cranked up the internal volume. Haven't played it much yet, but trust there will be no crashes. 😀

Reply 18 of 37, by Hazekel

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Played through OUTLAWS on Windows 7. There were a few glitches. First, 3D patch does not work because it was not installed conventionally and the option to change Video Mode is only done through the conventional start up program (which must be bypassed).

Second problem is that the level CIVIL WAR crashes upon loading the second half of the level. There seems to be no way to get around this 😢

Aside from these problems, the game works great on Windows 7, even though it is a pain to install.