VOGONS

Common searches

Printing in DosBox using USB printer (in command line it works)

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

First post, by poao

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi,

I have an old DOS program that I need to run under Windows XP. I tried first to run the program using windows XP own command line (Run -> cmd) but the program did not run very well (worked partially). In Dosbox the program runs perfectly fine. The only problem left for me is to be able to print from DOSBOX.

I have read a fantastic tutorial about printing from DOS programs under windows xp (http://members.shaw.ca/bsanders/printfromdos.htm). After following the tutorial I am now able to print when I start the program from windows xp command line (but some parts of the program don't work while in dosbox the work fine). The problem is that this tutorial did not help me to print from Dosbox (it's just works when I print form windows command line - when the program is running from dosbox nothing is printed).

Is there any way to fix that ?
By the way, I also tried running dos2usb and it didn't help to get the program print when running from dosbox.

Thanks
Poao

Reply 1 of 12, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

Check out h-a-l-9000's unofficial DOSBox build:
DOSBox SVN Builds

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 2 of 12, by poao

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for the quick reply...

I tried the link and it seems to be a little bit better (because now the printer is at least detected) but just before the printer starts to print dosbox crashed (many times I tried).

All combinations did not work. The most successful was the dll's combined with "Parallel Port Passthrough" (the printer was detected) but the program crashed just before printing...

Any thing I can do to fix this ?

Thanks

Reply 4 of 12, by poao

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for your reply.

I tried the DLL's with "Mega build #3" (contain the virtual printer). Now when I try to print I don't get a message that no printer was detected (this message appeared when I used the official DosBox).
However, the printer does not print and nothing happens. After a few seconds I get a message that everything was fine (which isn't because the printer did not print anything).

Any more suggestions ?

Thanks

Reply 6 of 12, by blulb

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi,
I got a very old program that can only print on LPT1 and can only be run in DOSBox, running in cmd.exe doesnt't work. Now I downloaded your build (4.1) and set it up, corrected all settings and so on. Now when I try to print from the program (no matter whether virtual or real printer) the DOSBox says Unkown command, skipping and a smiley followed by a number. Am I doing anything wrong? The output pages only consist of a black circle in the upper left corner. The printer is connected via USB, I got no LPT-Port available. Thanks for your help.

Reply 12 of 12, by Katherine

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I found a lot of special utilities for support printing text on the modern inkjet and laserjet printers: dos2usb, printfil (already tested), dosprn, dosprint etc.

I downloaded these utilities and evaluated them. At last I choose a dosprn ( http://www.dosprn.com ) utility for me. It printed my documents more or less correctly and it is the most inexpensive between competitors.

I'd installed "DOSBox Mega Build 5" release, adjusted DOSBOX settings for saving LPT traffic into file directly and switched DOSPRN to printing this file automatically.

It is not a magnificent but it works at me at least.