Common searches

Glide patch

Topic actions

Reply 80 of 246, by gulikoza

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have updated the patch in the first post again. There are numerous minor fixes to the code. Glide SDK test12 works now. Make sure you always use a matching ovl file as the interface tends to change from version to version.
I am also attaching the latest openglide build here. Among other fixes, this version will use fullscreen if dosbox is set to fullscreen regardless of the ini file setting. So you can use fullscreen as long as you remember to switch to fullscreen before glide activates (this should also work with earlier patches, you can use my July cvs if you don't want to recompile with the latest patches - yes, I will update my dosboxcvs version when I have time 😀)

Attachments

• Filename
    openglide-091009.zip
    File size
    74.13 KiB
    Downloads
    868 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

http://www.si-gamer.net/gulikoza

Reply 81 of 246, by Neville

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm sorry if this has been asked before, but I feel like a dummy because I can't get glide working. I'm using:

- Windows XP SP3

- ATI HD4850 with latest drivers

- Latest Gulikoza's build

- dgVodoo v1.40

I've copied dgVodoo's files to C:\WINDOWS and to the folders of the games I'm trying to get working, "Extreme Assault" and "Screamer Rally".

"Extreme Assault" works, but I can't tell if it's using 3DFX acceleration.

"Screamer Rally" quits almost inmediately.

Stuff I need to clarify:

- Am I doing everything right?

- Is there a compatibility list or something similar?

- Can I run 3DFX games fullscreen with DOSBox? Can I try to start them in fullscreen?

Thanks in advance.

Reply 82 of 246, by gulikoza

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

First of all, "I've copied dgVodoo's files to C:\WINDOWS and to the folders of the games I'm trying to get working, "Extreme Assault" and "Screamer Rally"." is a big mistake. DOSBox Glide solution does not require any other files then those already included in my build. At most only and only the glide2x.dll from dgVoodoo distribution should be copied to the DOSBox directory, if you wish to change the default Openglide wrapper. By no chance should glide2x.ovl be replaced or present in game directory or anywhere on the mounted drive, except if it's the same as distributed with my patch.
I will attach here GLIDE SDK Test0. This is the simplest possible glide test. Running this exe in dosbox should show 3dfx logo and blue screen. If it works then glide is working.
You can use fullscreen with glide if you start dosbox in fullscreen before running a glide game (with the dll posted above). Alternatevly, ALT-Enter is working when glide2x.dll is replaced with dgvoodoo (as per instructions above) and dgvoodoo renderer is set to directx9.

Screamer Rally should work. I also tested the EA demo and it works.

Attachments

• Filename
    Glide-test.zip
    File size
    183.63 KiB
    Downloads
    774 downloads
    File comment
    GLIDE SDK test0
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 83 of 246, by Neville

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

First of all, thanks for your quick response and the tips.

Now... I'm a bit confused here... are you implying that your build of DOSBox already includes the Openglide wrapper and that it should work right out of the box? Sorry if this sounds stupid, it makes me think wether I should have installed dgVoodoo in the first place or not.

Anyway, I've deleted the unnecesary files from the games folders and, as suggested, copied *only* dgvoodoo's glide2x.dll in the DOSBox folder, overwriting yours. I've also made sure dgvoodoo (installed in C:\WINDOWS) is set to start in window mode, both for Windows and DOS applications.

As a result, both the Glide Test and "Screamer Rally" stop with a "Fatal error: unable to load DLL" message.

After overwriting again with your version of the file, the error persists.

Reply 84 of 246, by gulikoza

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yes, it should work out of the box 😀

"unable to load DLL" usually means that glide2x.ovl cannot be loaded. Check that this file exists in the dosbox directory (it is included in my archive). Then check that glide is enabled in dosbox.conf (you can also type glide=true inside dosbox to make sure it's enabled). Then you can check if glide2x.ovl is present in the dosbox Z: drive. If that is all fine, the game should work unless you removed the Z:\ from dosbox path 😀

Reply 85 of 246, by Neville

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I feel like a dummy even more. Just to be thorough, I've tried to run both programs without using DBGL, and they both worked at once... although "Screamer Rally" probably needs a CPU that still gas to be build to run at 100% speed.

I can't understand it, DBGL is supposed to offer support for CVS builds from quite some time now, and the "Glide" option was checked. As soon as I can I'm posting this issue in its thread.

EDIT: Is there a list of DOS games with Glide support? Can't find it at the usual places (Wikipedia, Mobygames) and the link within VOGONS someone posted in the Windows games with Glide support list is dead.

Reply 90 of 246, by Neville

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

That didn't work for me, only got like 5 FPS in-game. But I just got rid of dgVoodoo, installed Zeckensack's wrapper and I get full speed (even faster than regular DOSBox + SVGA mode) and fullscreen. Terrific stuff, reminds me of the days I owned a Vodoo Banshee.

Reply 91 of 246, by john_i_

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi gulikoza,

Would it be possible for you to post the patch to the experimental openglide that you mentioned back in July for rendering a game at a higher resolution that it was originally intended?

It would be great to run Tomb Raider in something higher than 640x480.

Thanks.

Reply 92 of 246, by gulikoza

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I was looking into it a few weeks ago actually, to try to put an experimental release together. But there is a problem exactly with Tomb Rider...it only starts when a game is loaded, starting new game corrupts the graphics. I haven't solved it yet, so I haven't released it...

Reply 93 of 246, by amano

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Isn't it possible that gulikozas glide patches are getting applied to the official dosbox sources? A dosbox that can execute glide titles would benefit everybody (maybe with some kBs lost) and this fragmentation into glide compiles and non-glide compiles seems unnceessary.

Reply 94 of 246, by wd

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Isn't it possible that gulikozas glide patches are getting applied to the official dosbox sources?

I don't see a problem with applying it to official sources, that's what patch is for. But usually applying it to cvs sources works better.

Reply 95 of 246, by Myloch

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I saw the game compatibility list in the first post and I can add some infos about games I intensely tested myself.

Dreams to reality:
works very well now with gulikoza's build based on ver.0.73 + dgvoodoo latest beta (fast and no graphical glitches).

Carmageddon 1 gulikoza+dgvoodoo:
has no graphical problems but is quite slow
(don't know if it's bad game engine or glide emu problem)

Tomb raider 1 gulikoza+openglide:
Perfect except some graphical corruptions sometimes when you return to main menu after loading a saved game, for example

Tomb raider 1 gulikoza+dgvoodoo:
Black screen after "new game" selection, when it should load introduction video, perfect when loading a saved game.

Reply 96 of 246, by Doronetty

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

When I run Extreme Assault (3dfx mode) - I see 3dfx logo screen, and after that a black screen (game is running, music is playing). When I started game (a blinded-mode 😀 ) all is OK, 3D graphic is working fine, but 2D layer with inscriptions (instructions,power and ammo-meters et.c.) are absend.
My specs are: GeForce 8800GTS, Core2Quad 2,8 MHz, Vista Ultimate 64-bit