VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Nilfisken

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Update Oct. 5th. 2009:
Note that the below solution to make Carmageddon 2 run on Vista and Windows 7, has only been tested on the 32-bit versions of the two OS's - not the 64-bit versions. Therefore I cannot tell whether it'll work on these versions or not.

Update Sept. 14th 2009:
Just tested this on Windows 7 Professional, where it also works.
Follow the same steps as below, and you'll have Carmageddon 2 on Windows 7!
I have not, however, completed the game in Windows 7 as I have in Vista, but for the four levels I have played, everything seemed to work just fine.

And now back to the installation tutorial:

-----

I thought I might just sum up the last few weeks searching for answers to get Carmageddon 2 running on vista in a new thread, so that potential future Carmageddon 2 fans on Vista won't have to spend as much time getting it to work, as I have done 😀

So here we go:

1. Install Carmageddon 2 using your original game CD-rom. Avoid autorunning the CD, but leftclick on your CD-rom drive and choose "open". Now click on the "SETUP.EXE" (NOT the "Setup.Now.exe").
When the game has finished installing, you'll be asked whether you want to install Quicktime 3 and DirectX 6 or not - you don't!

2. Download the Carmageddon 2 Windows XP/Vista Patch from here. http://carmadownloads.jjunkies.com/index.php?act=view&id=312 .
Make a backup of the original Carma2_HW.exe, and replace the original with the one you've just downloaded.

3. Download and install the latest version of Zeckensacks Glide Wrapper from http://www.zeckensack.de/glide/ - don't forget to read the readme .
*UPDATE Nov. 15th 2009:
For some people the glide wrapper nGlide may work better. It can be downloaded from here: http://www.zeus-software.com/downloads/nglide/ .
A great big thanks to btw3d for coming up with and testing the nGlide solution.*

You should now be able to run Carmageddon 2 both in Direct3D and Glide mode - but without any sound, plus you may experience that in the game, the cursor is only able to move in a small area of the screen.

4. Go to your Carmageddon 2 directory and leftclick on the Carma2_HW.exe (or C2_HW.exe for some), click on the compatibility tab and:
A: Click on the "Run this program in compatibility mode for" and choose "Windows 98 / Windows ME" from the dropdown menu.
B: Under settings click "Run with 640 x 480 screen resolution"

Step A will fix the missing sound, while step B will fix the cursor issue.

5. Instead of running the Carma2.exe, run the Carma2_HW.exe directly (make a shortcut to it if you wish) - and the game should run nice and stableish. 😁
... Now go run over some unsuspecting shoppers 😈

Notes on stability issues:
Since this game is certainly not made for running on Vista (or XP for that matter), it is, not surprisingly, not entirely stable. Issues that I've stumbled across:
The game unexpectedly quits at the beginning of a race.
The game unexpectedly quits just when you've finished a race (but before it saves the game 😢 ).
The game unexpectedly quits when you crash your opponents into certain objects (or when wasting your opponents).

However these issues appear very rarely (the two first ones about once every tenth or twelth race and the last issue I've only experienced two or three times all in all), so there should be no need to worry. These issues however, are only those that I've experienced, and others may of course experience other issues, depending on their system set-up.

The above issues apply only to the Zeckensack solution. I have not tested the nGlide solution myself.

PLEASE NOTE: If you have any problems with using either Zeckensack or nGlide, and decide to try the other solution, remember to uninstall your current glide wrapper first before installing any other wrapper.

A big thanks to DosFreak and all the others helping me out at the sound issue thread No sound in Carmageddon 2 running on Vista using dgvoodoo and to the "CWA Forums" http://www.cwaboard.com/ubbthreads/showflat.p … o=&fpart=1&vc=1 and the NTcompatible Forums http://www.ntcompatible.com/Carmageddon_2_-_C … Now_t23387.html

I hope that someone may find this useful.
Cheers to y'all 😁

Last edited by Nilfisken on 2009-11-15, 19:48. Edited 4 times in total.

Reply 1 of 14, by wezz37

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks!

It works, but it seems that you can't place downloaded cars & tracks in the game? I've installed carstockalypse, but everytime that i place a car in the game and press ok, the next time that i start carstockalypse it's gone...

I know how it works, because my girlfriend has windows xp and there i got it to work fine (cars & tracks).

Any idea why it doesn't work on windows vista??

Greets

Reply 3 of 14, by Nilfisken

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Thanks! […]
Show full quote

Thanks!

It works, but it seems that you can't place downloaded cars & tracks in the game? I've installed carstockalypse, but everytime that i place a car in the game and press ok, the next time that i start carstockalypse it's gone...

I know how it works, because my girlfriend has windows xp and there i got it to work fine (cars & tracks).

Any idea why it doesn't work on windows vista??

Greets

I actually had Carstockalypse installed for a while, and it worked the way it was supposed to - until it didn't anymore, and I had to reinstall the entire game.
Since then I sort of just played the oldfashioned version.

So it is able to work (until someone installs an incompatible track or car 😀 ). Don't know of course, why it's acting weird on yours. Sorry.

Reply 4 of 14, by bushwack

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I tried it on Win7 64bit and I still have no sound even with above said fix. Runs great though just no sound.

Guess I'll just have to run it old skool SLI style. 😀

Reply 5 of 14, by Nilfisken

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Oh yeah, sorry. I've completely forgotten to mention that I've only tested it on 32-bit versions of both Win Vista and Windows 7 - not the 64-bit versions.
Thx.

Reply 9 of 14, by btw3d

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The game unexpectedly quits at the beginning of a race.
The game unexpectedly quits just when you've finished a race (but before it saves the game Depressed ).
The game unexpectedly quits when you crash your opponents into certain objects (or when wasting your opponents).

You've tested this game with zeckensack. What about dgvodoo and nglide?

Reply 10 of 14, by Nilfisken

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

You've tested this game with zeckensack. What about dgvodoo and nglide?

Well, I tried dgvoodoo to begin with, but that just didn't seem to work at all really in Vista, so that's why I went on to Zeckensack, and since it works really well 96,7% of the times (approximately 😀), I didn't bother testing other wrappers.

But if you decide to give nglide a try, please don't hesitate to write how it works out. It would be nice if it could also work with another glide wrapper, so that some of the people having trouble with the Zeckensack solution could have another option.

Reply 11 of 14, by btw3d

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I did as you said.
I tested this game on Windows 7 32-bit with Zeckensack and nGlide.

I played 25 races for Zeckensack and 25 for nGlide. The game didn't crash even once, worked very stable (including the sound - after setting win98 compatibility mode).

But I found another issue (only in Zeckensack). Game screen is not stretched in the fullscreen mode. It works in the small centered box on the black background - no matter if option 'Run with 640x480 screen resolution' is selected. This problem does not occur on the nGlide.

Tested on:
Zeckensack 0.84c
nGlide 0.90

and GF 9800GT (ForceWare 191.07).

Reply 12 of 14, by Nilfisken

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well that was quick! 😀

The boxed screen issue with Zeckensack doesn't happen to me when playing in fullscreen mode though. But every different system setup will behave differently in one way or the other (which is why you make people happy giving them more options to play around with 😀)

Thanks very much for testing it so quickly!

Reply 14 of 14, by N.I.C.E

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey!
I found this topic while searching for a solution to my problem on having no sound under Win7 x64. I accidently found a solution that works for me: Set the compatibility mode to Windows 2000 instead of 98/ME and sound works!