VOGONS

Rendition Verite Thread

Topic actions

Reply 80 of 652, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Oh lookie, a Matrox G100. Those are kinda bleh, with 3D that's much more like the old Mystique than the G200. I do wonder if G100 is a slightly tweaked MGA-1164 chip.

Hopefully that Screamin' 3D isn't as fond of freezing as mine.

Reply 81 of 652, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I'm curious to see how Q3 performs on the best Verite card. I recall Carmack praising this in a '98 .plan update.

(Part of the reason is OA actually 🤣, i'm trying the best of my abilities to get the crappy PCX2 working in that even, i'm even shocked it loaded the 512x512x32 textures at all)

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 82 of 652, by bushwack

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
bushwack wrote:
retro games 100 wrote:

Interesting ebay item, "Assortment of Legacy Graphics, Video and Tv Cards"

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewIt … em=280441401153

Includes Rendition and S3 cards.

Shipping for me is only $35!

Just found the same listing but here in the states, shipping dropped to $8 for me now.

I'd would bid on this but I already have every card in the auction. Hey swaaye, I have an empty Screamin' 3D box...

Reply 83 of 652, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
leileilol wrote:

I'm curious to see how Q3 performs on the best Verite card. I recall Carmack praising this in a '98 .plan update.

Don't get your hopes up too high. V2200 OpenGL is not exactly a finely honed piece of programming art and the chip is only a bit faster than Voodoo1 in the best of cases. 😀 One major issue with OpenGL is that Rendition never did per-pixel mip mapping. So the textures update per polygon and this is ugly as hell in some games, like Half Life say.

What was also strange was that they didn't even try to run Unreal on it through RRedline and the D3D driver is not close to good enough to run something like that.

bushwack wrote:

Hey swaaye, I have an empty Screamin' 3D box...

Cool. Those are hard to find for sure.

Reply 84 of 652, by bushwack

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
swaaye wrote:
bushwack wrote:

Hey swaaye, I have an empty Screamin' 3D box...

Cool. Those are hard to find for sure.

PM me if your interested, just give me something like $4-5 for shipping and I'll send it out to you. There's a couple pieces of literature in there like a reg card or something, just no CDs or card. I bought sometime ago on ebah but someone pillaged the contents before they shipped and I only received a 2mb Alliance chip video card. I got a full refund and kept the box for free.

Reply 87 of 652, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
catatonic wrote:

Hi folks. I still have a Hercules Thriller3D card, the 8MB card with video capture and TV output. I enjoyed quite a few games on it but overall those drivers sure were buggy.

Ah hello there. Any pics of your card?

Btw, welcome to these forums 😉
You gonna be hanging around? Or just passing through?

Reply 88 of 652, by catatonic

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Here's a photo. -- Don't know if I'll hang around this forum, but this is a topic near & dear to my heart!

One other thing - this card has an input for 3D glasses. Who knows if that was ever used for anything?

Attachments

• Filename
    thriller3d.jpg
    File size
    158.63 KiB
    Downloads
    363 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 90 of 652, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Looks almost exactly like my diamond cards, except for the extra outputs next to the VGA.
Dunno why I like this rendition so much, I must have about 5 of those stealth cards 😀

Thanks for providing your picture!

Reply 91 of 652, by catatonic

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

You're welcome, it's no problem. Bjorn from Bjorn3d.com gave me that card for writing a Glide wrapper called Big RRed. After my initial release some others joined in and contributed code so a few games were playable on it. Pandemonium and Croc: Legend of the Gobbos are the ones that I can remember. This was in 1997 or 98.

Reply 92 of 652, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

nice to meet you. 😀 I've got that wrapper in my Rendition archive. I haven't tried it though.

Was that for the RRedline contest? I can't remember anymore....

Reply 95 of 652, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

They are rare but they aren't popular, well-known cards. Not many people know or care about Verite cards. This should mean sane prices.

There isn't really a big advantage to 8MB though. It just gets you higher resolutions. A 4MB card can do something like 960x720 in 3D games which is already at past what these cards can handle in most games. And the analog output quality is pretty bad too (I usually don't go past 1024x768 for the Windows desktop).

It can be hard to find ANY Verite card sometimes.

Reply 96 of 652, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
swaaye wrote:

They are rare but they aren't popular, well-known cards. Not many people know or care about Verite cards. This should mean sane prices.

There isn't really a big advantage to 8MB though. It just gets you higher resolutions. A 4MB card can do something like 960x720 in 3D games which is already at past what these cards can handle in most games. And the analog output quality is pretty bad too (I usually don't go past 1024x768 for the Windows desktop).

It can be hard to find ANY Verite card sometimes.

Yeah, I've been noticing a few cards are hard to get for reasonable prices. I have yet to find a Hercules 3D Prophet 4500 for less than $50. The nVidia and ATi based cards are usually a lot more reasonable than the PowerVR based ones. It's hard to justify the extra expense when a GF2MX based Prophet is only $10.

Reply 98 of 652, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It's often possible to find a V2100 card (namely the Diamond Stealth II S220). They really are the same as a V2200 once you flash the BIOS to the latest release. It ups the clock speeds to V2200 level.

Reply 99 of 652, by bushwack

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
swaaye wrote:

It's often possible to find a V2100 card (namely the Diamond Stealth II S220). They really are the same as a V2200 once you flash the BIOS to the latest release. It ups the clock speeds to V2200 level.

Yeah the V2100s are plentiful, but I've only seen those in PCI. I'd really like to have a 8mb AGP V2200 to race against the other 8 meggers of early 98'.