VOGONS

Common searches

Reply 61 of 72, by fherman

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have tried applying the printer patch, but get errors. I've tried messing with the source configuration, but no joy.

I understand that their might be patched versions of DoxBox that will run on a Fedora Linux system. Mine is an x86_64 AMD box.

While I understand that the program was developed for dos games, there are legacy non-game dos programs that still need support. In my case, I have an accounting package that I still use. I had used dosemu with my old x86 box, but dosemu crashes on the x86_64 box which I now need to use. DosBox runs the app fine except that the program can't print to LPT1.

I would be very grateful if I could obtain a version of DosBox that will print and will run on my new system. I'm sure their are other potential users for DosBox that would want to use the program if it supported printing.

TIA

Reply 62 of 72, by dvwjr

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
fherman wrote:

I would be very grateful if I could obtain a version of DosBox that will print and will run on my new system. I'm sure their are other potential users for DosBox that would want to use the program if it supported printing.

True, but it's not going to happen, except with individual builds of Dosbox. So investigate the forums to find out who has a 'printing' version and hope for the best. Too many show up here and state they realize that Dosbox is aimed at Dos games, however in their opinion, it would really expand the Dosbox user-base if Dosbox became a Dos replacement for their particular commercial applications.

Do you sense a disconnect?

Dosbox will propably never become a replacement for a 'true Dos' that is MS-DOS or FreeDOS in a VM environment, or the Windows provided NTVDM, or other Linux based DOS emulators...

Best of luck,

dvwjr

Reply 64 of 72, by qv90

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi fherman,
I created my branch to be able to use a old app called "FrameWork IV". This prog does NOT access printer port through I/O calls. FW4 uses an DOS interrupt designed for print access. This is catched and redirected to host system printing services.

On my HP you can download full source code (including all required modifications) as well as an .EXE for Win XP. Check it out.

Regards

Jam
Live long and prosper!
http://syncgw.com

Reply 65 of 72, by mg55

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Just thought I'd mention that Infocom's games could send a transcript of your game to your printer via the 'script' command. It was handy for going back and reviewing everthing you did as it could be easy to miss subtle clues sometimes.

So there are a few legitimate gaming uses of the printer port.

Reply 66 of 72, by qv90

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Si si,
I know that and took already a look at a solution to provide "port access" in Jaballa Edition... It isn't as easy as it seems...

Currently I've no plan to implement that functionality.

Jam
Live long and prosper!

Reply 67 of 72, by bernard_belgique

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello, with this version basic dos IF command like, for example,

IF NOT EXIST test.inf GOTO GETUSER

does not work.

Although it works on dosbox version 0.73

Any idea on how I could make it work?

Thanks in advance
Bernard

Reply 68 of 72, by qv90

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi Bernard,

I already took a short look at the new DosBox version and noticed the need for modifications to my patches. As soon as I can find some spare time, I'll provide updated patches (as well as a new compiled version).

Additionally I'm working on some modifications which will enable more applications to use "my" printer interface.

Jam
Live long and prosper!

Reply 70 of 72, by Sagittarius

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Sorry if already asked, but I have not found the Jaballa edition sources for GNU/Linux.

Therfore, I've compiled the DOSBOS megabuild edition with success on GNU/Linux.
The Jaballa seems more apropriate for me because it can pipe a command from the LPT output.

Because many DOS softwares use ESC/P codes for printing, my goal is to use the excellent epsonps utility (source here) which produces ultimate ps files (with condensed, double-sided, bold... fonts) from the file captured from LPT.

Then, with a simple : gs -sDEVICE=pdfwrite -sOutputFile=final.pdf -sPAPERSIZE=a4 -dBATCH -dNOPAUSE outfilefromepsonps.ps, DOS can produces very high quality PDF.

Do you please have a link for the GNU/Linux Jaballa edition ?

Reply 71 of 72, by albinolynx

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi,

i used jaballa 1.84 (dosbox 0.72 based) version. My printer connected lpt port - works fine under dosbox.
My little probleme is: after printing print dosbox manual, dosbox.conf file, etc.
Evirything was in dosbox dir. Dosbox.conf lpt:

copy d:\dosbox LPT1 >Nul

Why print everything from dosbox folder?