VOGONS

Common searches

Secondary video window

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

First post, by kalpha

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

In this posting
DOSBox Feature Request Thread
under the video section there is
<<
Secondary video window for DosBox monochrome support. Some games also had the option of outputing monochrome to another monitor for debugging purposes.
>> >>
I interpret this as two SDL windows on a VGA monitor one emulating CGA/EGA/VGA and the other emulating MDA/Hercules monochrome.
Is this implemented, planned, not likely ?

Reply 3 of 17, by kalpha

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Qbix
<<i see no use>>
I translate that as
"I see no particular use to myself or anyone using DosBox in only the ways I believe in."
I think the Wishlist posting made quite clear some practical "uses"

h-a-l-9000
<<Much effort for the two or three people who would be using it>>
ouch

Thanks guys, while I am one of the two or three who could make serious use of such a feature, I appreciate you are not only the ones who know the underlying design and code of DosBox but are also the central navigation system of DosBox.

give my regards to Martin please.

Reply 6 of 17, by wd

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

I appreciate you are not only the ones who know the underlying design and code of DosBox but are also the central navigation system of DosBox.

Yeah and we got to do better things than implement something which only
2 people want just because they want it.

Reply 7 of 17, by kalpha

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

DosFreak
<<Kalpha, There's nothing preventing you from implementing the feature yourself and then submitting it for integration into DOSBox.>>

Apologies up front I think my babel fish is still grumpy.

I would like to, but unfortunately
1. I currently do not have a lot of spare time
2. h-a-l-9000 says that it is much effort (which with #1 kinda rules it out)
3. I once suggested the adding of a (missing) std vesa text mode to the int10_modes.cpp and was greeted with something along lines of NO it will add too much bloat (64bytes), does not sound like it is useful for games, DosBox is for games, ......

So along with all the other negative and terse comments from the core, it is hard to get the motivation to expend "much effort" on something that only two people want and will probably be rejected even if it was submitted.

One day my MDA monitor or card or unit still compatable with it will die, but hopefully my current needs for it will have either evaporated or one of the other possible avenues will be more supportive and I will find the time to spend much effort helping those friendly folk. Sheesh I never said DosBox must or should have, I only asked if an item on the wishlist was ever progressed.

as the dolphins said
SLATFATF

Reply 9 of 17, by cdoublejj

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

BYTES wow thats small by todays standard, When say it like that wd it makes you sound ass-holish. i assume there is a need for it but we aren't being led on to what it is it may be pure developmental use, i've seen the more often than not, i don't see why another community shouldn't go up with a different version of DB for dev use.

Reply 15 of 17, by kalpha

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

wd
<<64bytes for some useless vesa textmode is definitely too much.>>

the 20+ users who are using for productive work do not think it is useless,
but then most of them are on dosemu which supports it out of the box.
For the others we have had to re-compile DosBox with it in, otherwise DosBox would be useless to them 😀

re the dual video, that would be seriously useful for me,
but this does not seem to be the place to be serious or useful :--)

cdoublejj
You sure you are in the right forum, you sound far too rational.

Reply 16 of 17, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Again DOSBox has different goal than DOSemu. DOSBox primary goal is GAMING. DOSemu is for pretty much everything DOS related.

If DOSemu works for you then go use that.
If DOSBox works for you then use that too.

If you want a feature added to DOSBox that the devs won't add because it doesn't fit with DOSBox goals then download the CVS, add the feature and compile. That's the beauty of opensource. The devs don't have to agree as long as you stick to the terms of the license.

Thread closed.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline