Rank Newbie
Rank

it might be user end trouble
because you wrote down
"mount e e:\ -t cdrom -usecd 0 -noioctl "
noioctl is not an option
its ioctrl
mount e e:\ -t cdrom -usecd 0 -ioctrl
perhaps screen shots would help answer a lot of questions too. can we get some of how you are going about trying to run the program?

Reply 21 of 45, by gidierre

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
ratix wrote:

mount e e:\ -t cdrom -usecd 0 -ioctrl

-ioctrl? 😳
what's that
a new alias for -ioctl?

btw I said mount d e:\ -t cdrom, and not mount e e:\

Last edited by gidierre on 2010-02-18, 23:14. Edited 1 time in total.

We often forgive those who bore us, but we cannot forgive those whom we bore. (La Rochefoucauld)

Reply 22 of 45, by ratix

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

its is windows XP/ vista he is running dosbox on isn't it?
oh yeah you are right! dosbox doesn't like it when you skip drive letters when it comes to cdrom drives or imgmounting them
and yeah its ioctl 😜

Reply 23 of 45, by SKARDAVNELNATE

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It runs and asks for the disc, right? So it must be mounted correctly to have gotten that far. Could the program use some sort of disc identification which DOSBox isn't emulating?

Reply 24 of 45, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

He could try making an ISO or a .BIN/.CUE and see if it works.

It would also be a good idea to download a CVS ver of DOSBox and try that.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 25 of 45, by gidierre

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
DosFreak wrote:

He could try making an ISO

but the OP had written

I even created an ISO and used imgmount to mount the iso. as soon as I launch the application, I get the same thing again. "no cd"

ezz, chances are your French is so much better than mine 😊
but have you seen this thread

http://forum.m4e.com/s-q/53489-test-de-la-saaq.html
post #43 is the very source for the "My Digital Life" article comment
but mostly it's post #10 that's interesting as it reads:

9. Tu vas avoir un message d'erreur, click sur IGNORE (3 fois), puis le tour est joue.

looks like many Win2000/XP users had issues with it years ago doesn't it...
and I don't mention Win2000 for nothing:
http://www.sinoquebec.com/bbs//showthread.php?t=42174

have you followed the ignore 3 times advice?

after all I just downloaded all the damn zip from the link on page 4 😅
and fancy that found that installation.txt in it says

Copié les fichiers sur un cd et utilisé l'autorun
Ignoré les erreur pendant l'exécution du logiciel

i.e.

copy (burn) folders on cdrom, use autorun
(well autorun.inf only reads
[autorun]
OPEN=aemn.EXE
ICON=STEERING.ICO
)
ignore errors during the program's execution

(do you approve of my translation 😜 )
so it seems they say themselves to do so!
It'd also seem dosbox hasn't much to do about it, I mean: issues seem not dosbox-related.
Still I wonder if the "ver set X" dosbox command, like 4 or something, could be an expedient here 😕

We often forgive those who bore us, but we cannot forgive those whom we bore. (La Rochefoucauld)

Reply 26 of 45, by gidierre

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

ezz:

I went ahead, burned all this aemn thing to cdrom,
launched it (on Vista 32 bit)
got the error, clicked twice to ignore it

well, the program gets started up to a point as you said:

aemn.jpg
aemn3.jpg

then to satisfy my curiosity ran dosbox 0.73, dir working good, then
got this all the time:

aemn2.jpg

tried that dosbox ver set X XX trick, no avail tweaking all around from (fake) dos 3 to 6.22 😵
afaict dosbox can't do it (?)
it must be noted that the Vista error msgs concern

cannot open COM1[,COM2,COM4] port

btw the aemn.exe I got in the zip dates from April 30th, 2001

Reply 27 of 45, by ezz

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks a lot... Thanks for googling this and downloading the app and also trying it on DOSbox... 😀

its is windows XP/ vista he is running dosbox on isn't it?

yes, at work trying with XP and home Vista, however the application that Gidierre downloaded actually works ok on XP.. full screen works ok .. vista is the issue.

have you followed the ignore 3 times advice?

yes, the issue is with vista only.. I dont have any issue in 2000 or even XP. my french is not good, yours seems to be better than mine 😉

I do get that COM error in Vista, ignore it, which again launches ok but then fails at full screen...

anyway, you actually downloaded it so you know what's going on...at this point I have tried everything and couldn't make it to work...

I installed Standard VGA driver for VISTA, and that worked, but sometimes crashes when you actually answer a question correctly which is weird 😀

I think this might have something to do with the CD as you said... I think if I get my hand on the original CD (and not just burning the files on CD) then this might actually work.

I'm trying to find that CD and I will keep you guys posted.

Thanks everybody

Reply 28 of 45, by gidierre

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
ezz wrote:

I dont have any issue in 2000 or even XP

today I tested on WinXP and in fact it's perfectly working fullscreen 😀

ezz wrote:

I think if I get my hand on the original CD (and not just burning the files on CD) then this might actually work.

I doubt that, otherwise either through a cd protection of sorts or a not 1:1 raw copy imho that should have failed on Win2000/XP too
the Vista issue is the classical fullscreen crash, fixed by XP drivers and/or standard vga, that's for sure afaict
but why the crash on dosbox 😕

so I tested a bit more, on virtual Dos 6.22, Win3.11, Win95 and Win98
unfortunately I have no WinNT to play with 🙁 and here's what (check title bars)

Dos 6.22, fine (a tip: correct answer methinks is virage à droite 😜 )
aemn1.jpg

Windows 3.11FW, kaput just like dosbox (don't ask me why, ok?)
aemn2.jpg

Windows 95a, as good as Dos 6.22 and WinXP
aemn3.jpg

Windows 98FE, ditto
aemn4.jpg

so why should Win3.11 & Dosbox be the only ones who crash is way beyond my understanding... 😵

all I can tell you is
I'll never let go of my driver's license for the life of me, lest I should ever be forced to pass the SAAQ examination.

Reply 29 of 45, by ezz

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

🤣 .. yeah, never ever let go of your driver license... I appreciate all the help here...

Lets just close the case... I think Virtual PC is the solution at this point... and yes as you said, works fine on XP and if I install Standard VGA the VISTA is also ok beside some random crashes that happens

Thanks again

Reply 30 of 45, by gidierre

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
ezz wrote:

Lets just close the case... I think Virtual PC is the solution at this point...

some VirtualPC avatar,
or else run Dosbox and boot into some "real" dos or Win9x on top of it
which when [autoexec]uted ought to be simpler (or less awkward) than swapping the gfx drivers

funny how it feels like in dosbox mscdex is failing, yet it can't really be, otherwise no dir could have worked
is some mscdex function call broken here, while with dos 6.22 (and Win9x ??) the app gets away with it 😕

Reply 32 of 45, by gidierre

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I mean, mscdex is installed correct after the mount cdrom line, then why should aemn.exe appear to be unable to access the cdrom?

Reply 34 of 45, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

The app complains when it can't find things that it is looking for. There are several issues, but here's an obvious one: ISO filename restrictions. There are literally two versions of each filename in the image, a restricted and non-restricted version; and DOSBox uses the restricted one (8.3 format, non-alphanumeric characters converted to underscores "_").

For example, there are files named "Pg-Print.cfg" and "Param.#00" in the root of the disc which you can see when viewing the image contents in WinRAR or WinImage, and the program tries to access them with those exact names. If you do a directory of the mounted image in DOSBox, the names are "PG_PRINT.CFG" and "PARAM._00"; so the app is simply not finding the files that have had restrictions applied to their names.

Reply 35 of 45, by gidierre

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
ripsaw8080 wrote:

the app is simply not finding the files that have had restrictions applied to their names

I see your point
but then, as I wonder academically, why should it have worked on Dos 6.22/VirtualPC? (but not on W31FW)
Dos 6 should also have those restrictions applied shouldn't it?

Reply 36 of 45, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

DOSBox chooses to use the restricted filenames, but I don't know what VPC does... what do the filenames look like if you do a directory there? But as I mentioned, the filenames are not the only issue. If you mount the image in Daemon Tools (or similar) and then mount that in DOSBox, the non-restrictive names are used, but the app is unhappy with other things as well. I was able to placate it enough to run the menu by hacking some block device data with the debugger, and then there are further problems executing the sub-programs.

Reply 37 of 45, by gidierre

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
ripsaw8080 wrote:

DOSBox chooses to use the restricted filenames, but I don't know what VPC does... what do the filenames look like if you do a directory there?

as far as that goes it turns out that VPC still uses 8.3 filenames too
(backup_ccb folder and totale_ccb.zip file are windows names which I chose to test) :

immagine11i.jpg

same using dosshell:

immagine12l.jpg

ripsaw8080 wrote:

But as I mentioned, the filenames are not the only issue

sure, and there must lie the odd reason why virtual dos 6.22/win9x can handle this app right, while w31fw/dosbox can't 😕

Reply 38 of 45, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

That does not answer the question of how the filenames from the CD image appear when you do a DIR to list them with DOS 6.22 in VPC... 8.3 is not the issue, it's the non-alphanumeric characters.

Reply 39 of 45, by gidierre

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
ripsaw8080 wrote:

That does not answer the question of how the filenames from the CD image appear when you do a DIR to list them with DOS 6.22 in VPC... 8.3 is not the issue, it's the non-alphanumeric characters.

ouch! (now I know how ripsaw8080's inanimate gif/avatar must feel.. 😵 )
sorry
let me see
using the darn driving license class cdrom

it seems those doggone non-alphanumeric chars are fine in the end yet:

immagine20.jpg

and via dosshell:

immagine21.jpg

what about that?
would that explain why this virtual dos can do it right?

P.S.
dosbox will fail the same way either using the real cdrom thing or a cue/bin image I created and imgmount'd
iso's acting up too, as per OP's earlier report

no difference, all the times identical French msg complaining that: this program must be launched from 'Auto-Evaluateur' cdrom...

Last edited by gidierre on 2010-02-23, 01:56. Edited 1 time in total.