VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Gangrif

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Does anyone have any informtion on how to get networking to function in dosbox megabuild, on linux?

I've compiled dosbox, it appears that the NE2000 emulation is working, i can fire up a packet driver in dosox, it gets a MAC Address, and the packet driver loads.

But i load up my application, and i get no networking. I'm wondering if i've missed something.

My dosbox config has ne2000 enabled, and realnic set to 1 (my eth0 adapter). I've applied a real IP in my application. But it'd not reachable, nor can the application get out to the network.

Thanks!

Reply 1 of 6, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Have you read this page?
http://home.arcor.de/h-a-l-9000/ne2kstuff/db_ne2000.html

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 2 of 6, by Gangrif

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
DosFreak wrote:

Yes, i read over that page, or at least the parts which pertained to my install, when i set this up. This does not seem like a dosbox config problem. I may be wrong, but dosbox compiled, i verified in the build output that the NE2000 patch built. I have libpcap installed, dosbox appears to see the NE2000.

I know this because of previous failed attempts. When dosbox doesnt see the NE2000, the ne2000.com packet driver returns a mac address of FF:FF:FF:FF:FF:FF. In this case, it's returning a proper mac address. Dos see's the NE2000, my application links up with the packet driver. but no network traffic is leaving dosbox. its as though it gets to the linux host, and just stops.

Which is what leads me to believe that the linux host is missing some configuration.

Thanks for the response! 😀

Reply 3 of 6, by h-a-l-9000

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

- what does the console window say?
- did you run in superuser mode?
- FF:FF:FF:FF:FF:FF is wrong. Try a different packet driver.
- Megabuild 5 not working for you?

1+1=10

Reply 4 of 6, by Gangrif

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
h-a-l-9000 wrote:
- what does the console window say? - did you run in superuser mode? - FF:FF:FF:FF:FF:FF is wrong. Try a different packet driver […]
Show full quote

- what does the console window say?
- did you run in superuser mode?
- FF:FF:FF:FF:FF:FF is wrong. Try a different packet driver.
- Megabuild 5 not working for you?

Sorry, i meant to say i was running 5. Megabuild 5.

its on CentOS 5 if that matters.

Running as root.

I'm not getting a mac of FF:FF:FF:FF:FF:FF, that was an example of failed attempts past. I'm getting a valid mac. i could get it if you;d like to see it.

I'm using the ne2000.com packet driver. I found it online, though i dont remember where.

Thanks!

Reply 6 of 6, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

The page works for me

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper