l33t
Malik wrote:
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman wrote:
Malik wrote:

You and some of us,brother! We all are! 😀

What, she left you for the same reason my ex-gf did? 😁

Errr...not the gf part..the obsessive-compulsive-over-vintage-pc-thingy part. 😀

Come to think of it, I'm obsessive-compulsive over anything. 😁

Ah, back to the MIDI topic, has anyone tried Roland D-50/D-110 module for MT-32 games? Maybe I'm mistaken, but isn't MT-32 based on D-50? I wonder if the latter would sound better.

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.

Reply 61 of 52354, by Great Hierophant

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Ah, back to the MIDI topic, has anyone tried Roland D-50/D-110 module for MT-32 games? Maybe I'm mistaken, but isn't MT-32 based on D-50? I wonder if the latter would sound better.

While they are superior modules, they are not likely to be better for DOS gaming purposes. The reasons why can be found in these topics:

http://queststudios.com/smf/index.php/topic,1452.0.html
http://queststudios.com/smf/index.php/topic,1656.0.html

Reply 62 of 52354, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Thanks for the linky! 😀

Well this sounds promising....

The sound is much more full, and warmer then the MT-32. Even still, the MT-32's custom patches don't interface the best with the D-50, making for a difficult conversion.

......BUT:

if you're a musician and you're interested in LA synthesis, get the D-110, as it's a very nice module and better in specs and sound than the MT-32. If you're a gamer and want it to play MT-32 compatible games, don't get it, as it wouldn't be of much use unless you know very well how to reprogram it and take a long time doing so.

That pretty much sums it up, I guess.

Things being said, I really don't mind if a game music sounds different than what it is intended to, as long as it sounds better. For instance, I don't mind using Yamaha XG for games composed for Roland GS if the resulting sound is better --and they do sometimes, especially in games with "techno" soundtrack like System Shock. Yamaha has better percussion IMHO.

However, things are more complicated in MT-32 games... Games like Ultima VII and Wing Command use the synth for sound effects, and it seems the sound effects will sound odd when using D-50. 🙁

Or won't they? Opinions?

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....

Reply 63 of 52354, by ux-3

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Other flightsim titles like Jane's USAF and European Air War also won't run on Windows XP without enthusiast-made patches. […]
Show full quote

Other flightsim titles like Jane's USAF and European Air War also won't run on Windows XP without enthusiast-made patches.

To me, it seems my solution is to build the "hottest" rig that still supports Windows 98. GeForce 6800 is the latest GeForce that supports Windows 98, so there it goes.

I think those who are not into flightsims don't really need to resort to my "desperate" solution. For "general purpose" Windows 98 games, I think 440BX and Voodoo cards would do just fine.

In fact, I still have to build another system based on 440BX mobo and Voodoo card for "general" Win98/DOS gaming. But then again, flightsim is still the primary thing to blame. See, Jane's Longbow 2 doesn't run very well on processor faster than 1 GHz, so.....

Sigh....

I missed that one too! We both arrived at the same solution to the same problem. I still have to try European Air War on the V5. But I refuse to build a PC for just one game. So EAW for now will have to settle for a V5. The ultimate Win98 PC is currently turned into an XP Pro with GF7900 and serves as emergency LAN party reinforcement. Once it is too old for that, it will do Win98 duty. With an XP-M, you can clock it down as low as 300 MHz, which should help Longbow2.

Reply 65 of 52354, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
ux-3 wrote:

But I refuse to build a PC for just one game.

Actually, the P4+GeForce 6800 is not only for one game, but for demanding Win98 games (especially flightsims) like Jane's F/A-18. Early Windows 98 games should go to the BX system.

ux-3 wrote:

The ultimate Win98 PC is currently turned into an XP Pro with GF7900

Does GF7900 run stable on Windows 98? It is a driver hack, isn't it?

ux-3 wrote:

With an XP-M, you can clock it down as low as 300 MHz, which should help Longbow2.

300 MHz? What mobo are you using? Care to share the specs?

Reply 66 of 52354, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Just got another DTK PRM-00801 --a 440BX mobo with three ISA slots. It makes my third.

dtkprm00801-buy03-pic01.jpg

Reply 67 of 52354, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Heh, I prefer to have a couple spares myself, except that I prefer to have 5 instead of 3. On some occasions I prefer to have as many spares as I can get away with.

@Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman
Those boards are worth $25 now??
If thats the case, I'm sitting on a small goldmine. I got atleast 8 Chaintech 6BTM's which also have 3 ISA, 4 DIMM's and atleast some support coppermines.
I got them in a funny way. about 2 years ago (we were repairing/rebuilding computers for handicapped people with no money)we were gifted a whole lot of old computers, mainly with the chaintechs and also a lot of asus a7v's and a7v133's. At some point my boss basically told me "Either you take home all these old slow and useless slot 1 mobo's or they'll end up in the bin".
Ofcourse I took em all home. Was going to practice hotswapping with them but now I'm having second thoughts 🤣 😜

Reply 68 of 52354, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Tetrium wrote:

@Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman
Those boards are worth $25 now??

Mind you, I purchased the mobo with "buy now" option. Were it offered in an auction, the final price would have been lower. I think I was just impatient.

Tetrium wrote:

At some point my boss basically told me "Either you take home all these old slow and useless slot 1 mobo's or they'll end up in the bin".

That really gives a new meaning to "a man's trash is another man's treasure". As for myself, I'm still dreaming about the day when someone says these things to me:

"Either you take home all these old slow and useless Voodoo5 5500 video cards or they'll end up in the bin."

"Either you take home all these outdated, gameport-using Thrustmaster F-16 FLCS/TQS/pedals or they'll end up in the bin."

"Either you take home all these old, ISA Yamaha SW60XG MIDI cards or they'll end up in the bin."

"Either you take home all these outdated DOS games or they'll end up in the bin."

Now that would be heaven.

Reply 69 of 52354, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Got my third Voodoo5 5500 AGP yesterday.
3dfx5500agp-buy03-pic02.jpg

Reply 70 of 52354, by bushwack

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Got my third Voodoo5 5500 AGP yesterday. http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y71/kreshna_iceheart/ebay/3dfx5500agp-buy03-pic02.jpg […]
Show full quote

Got my third Voodoo5 5500 AGP yesterday.
3dfx5500agp-buy03-pic02.jpg

Hey, I have 2 5500s I'm willing to sell if your shelling out 75 bucks a pop for them. 🤑 I also have two sealed V2 1000 PCI, I'll tale 100 each for both of those. 😁

Reply 71 of 52354, by Amigaz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

@Kreshna

You bought it to have another backup card or you plan putting your V5500 in a frame for pure display? 😁

My retro computer stuff: https://lychee.jjserver.net/#16136303902327

Reply 74 of 52354, by Amigaz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

@bushwack

cool, I picked up one as well for my S478 retro-rocket project

4076ce84334961.jpg

9285fd84335014.jpg

And a not very "retro" at all AGP gfx card for my media center project:

57571384335063.jpg

78813684335108.jpg

Reply 75 of 52354, by exxe

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
F2bnp wrote:

There was also a Voodoo 5 5000 on sale the other day.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/3DFX-Voodoo-5-5000-PCI- … =item45f315eb0a

Damn that's a lot of money...

to many for me....
5500 i also have some backup cards

get this slotadapter last week
img_7643-b48k5.jpg

Reply 76 of 52354, by Amigaz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
exxe wrote:
to many for me.... 5500 i also have some backup cards […]
Show full quote
F2bnp wrote:

There was also a Voodoo 5 5000 on sale the other day.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/3DFX-Voodoo-5-5000-PCI- … =item45f315eb0a

Damn that's a lot of money...

to many for me....
5500 i also have some backup cards

get this slotadapter last week
img_7643-b48k5.jpg

Slot 1 --> Socket 8 adapter?

Reply 77 of 52354, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I have that HIS 4670. 😀 It's nice and quiet, until the bearings start to wear after about a year, and then it'll make some noise occasionally.

4670s are exceptionally low power when idle.

I broke both of my GeForce FX cards (well one died of crappy construction) so I need to go shopping for those because I feel empty without one of those worthless cards in my possession!

Last edited by swaaye on 2010-06-13, 20:15. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 78 of 52354, by exxe

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

socket 8 CPU in slot 1, yes
a shame i dont have a cooler for this socket
i also have one to put a AGP 3,3v Card into a PCI Slot and a "normal" socket 370 adapter but this are not new

Reply 79 of 52354, by Amigaz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
swaaye wrote:

I have that HIS 4670. 😀 It's nice and quiet, until the bearings start to wear after about a year, and then it'll make some noise occasionally.

4670s are exceptionally low power when idle.

I broke both of my GeForce FX cards (well one died of crappy construction) so I need to go shopping for those because I feel empty without one of those worthless cards in my possession!

It puzzles me why they put 128bit memory on the 4670? if they had put 256bit memory on it it could have been the fastest and most energy effecient AGP card...the radeon 3850 is a bit faster but get's quite hot and sucks alot of juice