VOGONS

Fallout 1

Topic actions

First post, by MIKEISTKRIEG

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Sup, this is my first time using any of this emulating stuff.

ANYWAYS, everything downloaded fine, I used all the right folders blah blah blah..

But for some reason, none of the cutscenes or cinematics from Fallout will play. Like at the main menu when you hit "intro", nothing happens.

Halp?

Reply 1 of 11, by robertmo

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

what is your dosbox version and where have you got it from?
what is your Operating System?
what are your PC specifications?

post content of "DOSBox Status Window" (in Windows: right click on its title bar -> edit)
enclose your dosbox's config file

post your mount lines and what is written under every mount line
post what is written after you type "mount"

Reply 2 of 11, by MIKEISTKRIEG

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

0.74, and right here http://www.dosbox.com/download.php?main=1
Windows XP
Um. I don't really know. I'm not too tech savvy.

DOSBox version 0.74
Copyright 2002-2010 DOSBox Team, published under GNU GPL.
---
CONFIG: Generating default configuration.
Writing it to C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Local Settings\Application Data\DO
SBox\dosbox-0.74.conf
CONFIG:Loading primary settings from config file C:\Documents and Settings\Owner
\Local Settings\Application Data\DOSBox\dosbox-0.74.conf
MIDI:Opened device:win32

Current Mount Drives are:
Mount Z is mounted as Internal Virtual Drive

Reply 6 of 11, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

[Moved to DOSBox Games/Apps. Section]

Follow the steps in the guide.

AFAIK, Fallout run also under Windows.

Intel i7 5960X
Gigabye GA-X99-Gaming 5
8 GB DDR4 (2100)
8 GB GeForce GTX 1070 G1 Gaming (Gigabyte)

Reply 8 of 11, by Gadget2006

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I think the ease of use under Windows is a very temporary thing - it may change with the next version of Windows or even with the next service pack for Vista or 7. Knowing that the thing runs in DosBox is a nice thought, too bad GOG.com does not ship DOS files with their release of the game.

At any rate, I successfully converted my GOG.com Fallout installation (for Windows) by downloading the Fallout 1.1 DOS patch, then copying dos4gw.exe, hmidet.386, hmidrv.386 (for memory) from other games I have to the fallout folder (FO1 is supposed to have dos4gw v1.97), and some manual tinkering with fallout.cfg to set up the sound because sound.exe, which was apparently used to set up the sound in the original DOS version, is nowhere to be found legally in either the Win edition or the official patches. I got it to run under DosBox 0.74 - I had to set memsize to 32 to get it not to crash after the first "loading" screen, otherwise it then ran perfectly at full speed.