VOGONS

Common searches

Demos /w "Extra Stuff"

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

First post, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

In the same vain as my other hopelessly unfinished lists, I'd like to create a list of PC game demos. Not just any demos, but only demos that contain "special things". Primarily, this would be things like "Half-Life: Uplink", which contains a mini-mission that doesn't exist in the actual game. But it should also include things like demos that had features that were changed in the final game and any demos with "fun" bugs.

I can't think of a PC example for that last one, but I remember in the Amiga demo for "First Samurai", there was a bug where if you jumped just right, you would land in a place where the programmers didn't intend for you to land. That would allow you to explore many other screens that you wouldn't normally be allowed to play. The closest I can think of for the PC was the "ghost" bug in "Quake 3 Arena". Amusing at first, but it got very, very annoying very quickly.

In a sense, you might consider these to be like "bonus content", but I'm mostly referring to titles where you there's no practical way of creating new content.

So having said all that, I'll start the list with:
Half-Life: Uplink (Extra mini-mission)
FreeSpace2 demo (Extra campaign missions)
Jack in the Dark (Free Pre-"Alone in the Dark 2" Adventure)

Reply 1 of 14, by LSD

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I don't know if either of these really count but the Descent: FreeSpace demo had an extended version of the first mission "Eve of Destruction." In the full game, the mission ends shortly after Delta wing arrive to relieve you but in the Demo there are a couple more wings of Vasudans after Delta arrives. Also, the demo campaign missions in the FreeSpace2 demo aren't in the full game either.

Wasurenaide...
...watashi ga iru koto o.
Itsudatte soba ni iru yo.

Gentoo. Because everything else is just shit. 😁
Registered Linux user #319839

Reply 3 of 14, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by LSD extended version of the first mission "Eve of Destruction." In the full game, the mission ends shortly after Delta wing arrive to relieve you but in the Demo there are a couple more wings of Vasudans after Delta arrives.

ermmm. Borderline. Its still the same mission, but with a small variation...I'd say no.

Also, the demo campaign missions in the FreeSpace2 demo aren't in the full game either.

If they're not in the actual game, that's definitely "extra stuff"...added.

Originally posted by Schadenfreude Do the DOOM betas count?

Do they have features not available in the final game? It's sounds like primarily that they simply have more primitive versions of what's in the actual game. This one is also borderline. Unless you can name something in these demos that isn't in the final game I'd say no (I don't know if a slightly different E1M2 or E2M7 really count).

Reply 4 of 14, by MajorGrubert

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Well, "Jack in the Dark" was a free demo released in 1994 as part of the promotion for the upcoming release of Alone in the Dark 2, and consisted of a stand-alone mini-adventure. It used the same engine being finished for AITD2 and introduced One Eyed Jack, the bad guy that appeared in that game.

Regards,

Major Grubert

Athlon 64 3200+/Asus K8V-X/1GB DDR400/GeForce FX 5700/SB Live! 5.1

Reply 5 of 14, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by MajorGrubert Well, "Jack in the Dark" was a free demo released in 1994 as part of the promotion for the upcoming release of Alone in the Dark 2,

Definitely qualifies, although I'm not sure if it's still officially free. added

Reply 7 of 14, by MajorGrubert

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The demo version of Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast (from the LucasArts Star Wars series) has an extra level that do not exist in the retail version of the game. How could I forget this? How can I resist posting to an old thread and summon the wrath of Snover? 😅
BTW, the demo is still available at http://www.lucasarts.com/products/outcast/html/demo.html

Major Grubert

Athlon 64 3200+/Asus K8V-X/1GB DDR400/GeForce FX 5700/SB Live! 5.1

Reply 11 of 14, by akula65

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

"Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon" Demo
The Ghost Recon demo is now available. The demo comes with an exclusive mission that will not be available in the final game but can be integrated into it. The mission acts as a prequel to the storyline of the full retail version and has limited multiplayer support. - UBI Soft

Tomb Raider: The Last Revelation (The Times)
This version of the Tomb Raider demo was made specifically for a British news paper, and features an all new level not available anywhere else!
(Available from http://www.3dgamers.com/games/tombraider4/downloads/)

Wing Commander: Prophecy 3Dfx Test
NOTE: This test is designed to check compatibility between Wing Commander:
Prophecy, 3Dfx cards, and the thousands of possible hardware combinations
there in. This test is not representative of the final product. Art, AI,
input device support, frame rate, minimum requirements, and load times are
unfinished. We encourage everyone to check out the full Wing Commander:
Prophecy Demo when it becomes available for a more accurate indicator of
the final product.
(Available from ftp://ftp.ea.com/pub/archive/origin/demos/wcp … est/wcptest.exe)