VOGONS

First post, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

at the dos prompt, if i type -

gw

a windows error box pops up saying "do you want to send an error report to microsoft?" (I'm not sure they can help me with this one.)

if i type -

gwsetup

this config program seems to work, and i can select my settings and save my settings to its config file.

if i type -

gwtutor

the dosbox screen just hangs. i then have to manually close the dosbox screen.

my rig = e8400, nvidia 8800gt.

Reply 1 of 31, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

you have installed inside dosbox ?
As the gw executable is encrypted with a system calculated number.
I think to use it well in dosbox you need to supply a few command line arguments. Try searching in the bug reports of DOSBox on debian. There was one related to gw and I think the initial reports tells a bit on how to use it. (bugs.debian.org)

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 2 of 31, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yes, I have installed "game wizard 32" (program for DOS), specifically for/inside your DosBox emulator.

Regarding bugs.debian.org, I'm afraid I am unable to find any reference for gw / game wizard. Could you please give me a specific URL for gw within bugs.debian.org?

Thanks a lot if possible, best regards, Robert.

Reply 3 of 31, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

I have trouble locating it as well.
I found one report on the bugs page of dosbox on sourceforge. but it lists no switches.
One email report that lists that gamewizard is started with the /x switch

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 4 of 31, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I found a game wizard launch batch file on the net using these switches -

gw/b=1/sd/x

(however, when run, it caused DOSBox to display a Windows popup error message.)

However, I've just managed to get game wizard working on an old legacy machine, so for now, I'm happy! 😁

Reply 5 of 31, by SharkyShark

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi - i happen to found a Game Wizard 32 Pro v3.0 DOs version.

But it already hands on the installer
i have a legacy machine too

AMD K6-2 200 mhz
DOS 6.22
96MB Ram
using Quarterdeck Qemmd rivers
(i tried to use no ems / memory manager the installer always hangs)

can us end me your GAme Wizard 32 Pro installer disk as zip file / disk imgae file ?

did the isntaller hang for you ?

What is your legacy machine ?

Reply 7 of 31, by SharkyShark

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

the registered version is / was not free to distribute.

But that software is from 1994 - 16 years ago
The Developer isnth there anymore - if he woud be i had bought this application

but its hard to even get a shareware version of this.

and the Pro version im having doesnt seeme to work, at least the isntaller makes my system rebooting

at leas some info on how to make this proggy work / installing right would be cool

but if u say u dont want me to post about this anymore here ill stop 😀

Reply 8 of 31, by rfnagel

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

FWIW, I have GWPro32... never had any luck at all getting to run under DOSBox properely. Seems that I remember reading messages here at Vogons on the subject at the time saying the same thing... that the had no luck getting it to run under DB.

Rich ¥Weeds¥ Nagel
http://www.richnagel.net

Reply 10 of 31, by SharkyShark

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

as i said im not trying to make it work in DosBox anymore i built up a legacy machine for it with a real dos 6.22 and so on

and the GW32Pro v3 install disk / files i got make my pc crash even when i use the isntaller from the disk

Reply 12 of 31, by rfnagel

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
wd wrote:

Worked fine for me

Had to jar my memory a bit here:

GW32/Pro does indeed work under DOSBox for the most part. The problem that I had (or rather did not) remembered was the feature to save the current memory state to a file on your hard drive. This could be used as sort of a 'save state' type of thing for DOSBox, but it doesn't work.

The error from GW is:

Unable to save program!

This problem is most likely caused by the following:

1. Try to save a DOS extender based progran while Game Wizard is loaded high.

2. Special version of DOS that is not 100% compatible with the standard DOS.

3. Device drivers that alter DOS resources beyond recognition.

Anyhow, _that_ was I remembering that I had read here at Vogons previously... that GW couldn't save a memory state (which could be used as sort of a 'save game' feature for games that don't support it).

Otherwise, GW seems to work just fine; as far as editing memory contents, freezing bytes of memory, etc...

Rich ¥Weeds¥ Nagel

Reply 13 of 31, by wd

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

That doesn't work because several of the internal dos structs are not implemented
by dosbox so the respective tries to save/load them has no effect on the respective
tables in dosbox.

Reply 14 of 31, by rfnagel

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
wd wrote:

That doesn't work because several of the internal dos structs are not implemented
by dosbox so the respective tries to save/load them has no effect on the respective
tables in dosbox.

Thanks for the info 😀 Yeah, that's what I seem to remember reading on the subject in those other older message threads that I mentioned.

The ol'e brain/memory doesn't work as good as it used to <grin>.

Rich ¥Weeds¥ Nagel

Reply 16 of 31, by SharkyShark

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

experienced the same

dos 4gw extender forces GW32 pro so use a range above konventional emmory

4mb or above

this search method makes dosbbox crash

on my 200 MHZ machine it works fine

PS - using slow video swapping mode makes GW32Pro v3 working more proper and better on faster machines

The Shark - out

Reply 17 of 31, by machinesmith

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi all,
New-un here (so go easy on me!) Not sure if this might help but I was running GW32 fine on Dosbox 0.72 & when I discovered that 0.74 was out (ie today) I went and installed it pronto.
Issue was that GW32 stopped working, was going to put it on here as a bug but thanks to previous forum burns I put in a search for game wizard and lo! I got this page.
Anyway based on what wd said (about not being able to move installations of GW) I tried "re-installing" the application by mounting the setup files as a floppy drive, then I just typed in INSTALL told it where it needed to go, and then tried it again - sure enough GW now works fine, so thank you wd for that insight/tip thing - and I hope this'll help those who're stuck trying to just run the application

Reply 19 of 31, by machinesmith

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Wow! Thanks for the additional info! You seem to know a lot about this particular application (DOS games weren't *THAT* hard were they? 🙄 )

Since we're on it though I DO have a patch for this application that doesn't seem to work in DOSBOX (it just hangs as soon as you run it) in plain ol' WinXP cmd line thing it just tells me that I need "...at least a 286 to run this application."

I totally understand if you don't have this program and/or don't have the time to look into it but still I've attached the upgrade patch (which turns ver 3.0 into 3.0a) in the hopes that someone will figure it out.

On another note are there any other mem editors that work well with DOS or DOSBOX?

P.S I don't know anything about the legality of the full ver. of 3.0 that's floating around the net, so I won't link that - however this patch was readily available by the original devs - still though if it bothers anyone I'll remove it - Thanks again!

Attachments

• Filename
    gwiz30a.zip
    File size
    263.65 KiB
    Downloads
    808 downloads
    File comment
    update file to turn registered version of Gamewizard32 ver 3.0 to 3.0a
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception