Common searches

VDMSound 2.1.0 PUBLIC BETA

Topic actions

First post, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

WARNING! DO NOT ATTEMPT TO INSTALL VDMSOUND 2.1.0 ON AN NT4 MACHINE UNTIL THIS MESSAGE IS REMOVED!

Public beta version of VDMSound 2.1 has been RELEASED!

CHANGELOG.TXT

07/05/2003 VDMSound 2.1.0 ----------------- What's new: - dual-OPL2 and OPL3 emulation (Jarek Burczynski) - Tip of the Day re […]
Show full quote

07/05/2003
VDMSound 2.1.0
-----------------
What's new:
- dual-OPL2 and OPL3 emulation (Jarek Burczynski)
- Tip of the Day removed
- New installer system (NSIS; Colin Snover)
- LaunchPad "Run with VDMS" replaces legacy "Run with VDMS"
- Output to disk now incorporated into LaunchPad
- PUSHF/CLI/POPF workaround now incorporated into LaunchPad
- MIDI-in now incorporated into LaunchPad
- OPL2/dual-OPL2/OPL3 auto-detection based on DSP (SoundBlaster card) selected in LaunchPad

Installation
- Run the brand spankin' new installer,
reboot when prompted,
enjoy.

KNOWN ISSUES

• PATH environment variable does not update correctly until Windows is restarted.
  • DiskWriter module causes an error in thread 0 ((null)).
  • OPL3 emulation may generate incorrect sound.
  • Old installations may not be correctly detected and removed.
  • XP themes cause graphical anomalies in the Launchpad.
  • Overwrites NT4 files with incompatible XP versions, causing NT4 to bluescreen on every subsequent reboot.

FIXED

• PATH environment variable gets broken somehow in the install (paths are still in the variable but they are not checked when typing a command).
  • No tooltip when mousing over "Optional Modules" or "Help Files".
  • SAPUCDEX now works.

Attachments

• Filename
    VDMSound 2.1.0.exe
    File size
    1.75 MiB
    Downloads
    65135 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 11 of 165, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

very strange and I can't really say it happened after the installation of vdms. But %systemroot% was suddenly not pointing at anything and I had to enter a variable for it...

Reply 12 of 165, by DRECK

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Dominus wrote:

very strange and I can't really say it happened after the installation of vdms. But %systemroot% was suddenly not pointing at anything and I had to enter a variable for it...

I have the same problem!!!!

Regedit Before VDMS Install:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Environment

Wert 11
Name: Path
Typ: REG_EXPAND_SZ
Daten: %SystemRoot%\system32;%SystemRoot%;%SystemRoot%\System32\Wbem;

SET before Install:
Path=C:\WINDOWS\system32;C:\WINDOWS;C:\WINDOWS\System32\Wbem;

Regedit after Inastall:

Wert 11
Name: Path
Typ: REG_SZ
Daten: %SystemRoot%\system32;%SystemRoot%;%SystemRoot%\System32\Wbem;;C:\Programme\VDMSound

Set after Install:
Path=%SystemRoot%\system32;%SystemRoot%;%SystemRoot%\System32\Wbem;;C:\Programme\VDMSound

My "laming" Workaround!
Problem REG_SZ versus REG_EXPAND_SZ
Started regedit
I made a new REG_EXPAND_SZ in directory
NAME "Path"
content: "%SystemRoot%\system32;%SystemRoot%;%SystemRoot%\System32\Wbem;%VDMSPath%"

Exit regedit
Log off or boot your computer

READY

Last edited by DRECK on 2003-08-25, 15:10. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 13 of 165, by DRECK

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Here is the complete "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Environment" and "SET" before/after Installing VDMSound!

I have WinXP Pro SP1!

Attachments

• Filename
    complete.txt
    File size
    4.24 KiB
    Downloads
    5383 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 14 of 165, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

so it was caused by vdms after all? By the installer at least...

Another minor thing I noriced: in the installer when you can choose what to install you get some help on hovering over each "thing" you can install. You don't get that when hovering above the help files.

Reply 15 of 165, by DRECK

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

@Dominus
YES!
But it is a minor bug and easy to fix:D

Snover wrote:
KNOWN ISSUES […]
Show full quote

KNOWN ISSUES

• PATH environment variable does not update correctly until Windows is restarted.
  • PATH environment variable gets broken somehow in the install (paths are still in the variable but they are not checked when typing a command).

Reply 16 of 165, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by Snover KNOWN ISSUES

Doesn't the install specifically say to reboot?

[*]DiskWriter module causes an error in thread 0 ((null)).

Make sure you don't make the same goof I did when I first tried it: keep in mind you have to specify a *directory*, not file name. A new .wav file is generated whenever the game changes sound parameters (i.e. sample rate, mono/stereo, etc.) since you can only have one frequency/aurality /etc. per single .wav file.

Note that, in my tests, it was the AdLib module of DiskWriter that had the problems. It seems to happen almost sporadically for me. It would happen several times in a row, then it wouldn't. As soon as I'm ready to declare one AdLib choice as "safe", it would turn around and crash.

Here's basically what I found:
Auto-Detect -> Crashed most frequently
OPL3 --> Almost as frequent as Autodetect
Dual OPL2 --> Almost as frequent as OPL3
OPL2 ----> Almost never crashed

The most unusual thing I noticed was that these errors happened frequently under "XP Home", but almost never under "XP Pro" (Pro had exactly 1 crash after a LOT of testing).

[*]OPL3 emulation will occasionally cause VDMSound to crash.

I never had any crashes that I could link to use of OPL3 (not counting DiskWriter). My results were either silence or dreadful music. Fortunately, Vlad's new options for OPL emulation really help. With VDMSound 2.04, if your program used a single sound/music option; you always had to choose "SB Pro". Choosing "SB 16" would cause it to use OPL3 emulation. With version 2.10, you choose "SB 16", then go to the AdLib tab (under "Advanced") and manually choose OPL2 or Dual-OPL2. That should give you 16-bit audio while still giving you FM music.

[*]Old installations may not be correctly detected and removed.[/list]

Out of habit, I always remove an original program before installing an update (unless the original is required). It's a good habit to have.

One oddity I came across:
Was testing a reinstall of TombRaider and found that both the SETUP and game programs were locking up on me (oddly, SETUP only locks just as it's quitting). Removing the PopF fix enabled proper operation

Trivial thing, but if the "skins" of XP (Visual Themes, whatever...) are used it creates a graphic glitch on windows.

Reply 17 of 165, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

FIXED:

• No tooltip when mousing over "Optional Modules" or "Help Files".

Yes, it’s my fault.