VOGONS

First post, by rmaniac

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I was wondering if you could help me or be interested in a patch. I am pretty much programming stupid but I think I was getting close to having something working....

ok.. here is what I am babbling about:

There is an Roland mt32 emulator that has been written:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/munt/
This there is a dosbox patch to use this:
http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func … 551&atid=467234

Some windows and linux guys have made binaries of this but no one has for macos that I can find.

I tried to compile the cvs of libmt32emu (munt) but it fails on OSX, scummvm uses munt and I know that compiles on the mac so I replaced the two functions that were breaking with the ones from scummvm cvs.

after this it would compile and install. But when building does box there is still some dependancy issues I am running into and I can't quite get it together. I figure if someone with just a bit more C knowledge than myself looked at it either it could be worked out pretty quick or be found to be a huge pain. heh.

So... what do you think? could I enlist an hour of your time to look at this and see if you have any good ideas? If anyone is macless yet really helpful and awesome I will be willing to provides them with a temp ssh shell on my machine to have a look at this.

RM

Reply 1 of 6, by toxicsyntax

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I don't know if you or anyone else got this to work, but I have just managed it with the newest CVS version and the patch Magamo supplied in the thread called 'DOSBox w/ built in MUNT Emulation' and the MT-32 stuff from scummvm.

Basically i just added the patch to scummvm and copied the mt32 directory from Scummvm - and then it worked!

I had to toy a bit with the Makefiles to get the scummvm mt32 library to link with the rest of Dosbox, but I got i to work and testet it with Space Quest 3. Quite an improvement over reqular Adlib sound!

-- Regards, Anders

Attachments

• Filename
    dosbox_mt32.diff
    File size
    4.37 KiB
    Downloads
    1200 downloads
    File comment
    Patch from Magamo fittet to CVS Head
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 3 of 6, by jwt

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi,

I've been trying to enable MT32 emulation with OS X and DOSBox for a couple days now and have failed. Basically, I follow the general steps: 1) apply patch to dosbox, 2) compile and install MT32 emulator (either Munt or from Scumm sound libraries) 3) add MT32 emulator library to DOSbox src makefile 4) compile DOSBox.

I have tried this with both DOSBox CVS and official .71 and with both Munt and Scumm MT32 libraries.

In all cases, DOSBox acts like it loads MT32 driver just fine. I.e. it loads the ROM's and initializes the notes and then when the game starts up (i've tried all MT-32 King's Quests), it loads the sounds patches, etc. However, it doesn't actually play the music. Instead, for each note of the music, it gives a "play msg on unreg chan 0(-1)" error in the Terminal.

Thus, it seems that the emulator is getting strange music data from the program, with channel 0. So clearly, I'm doing something wrong.

I would definitely appreciate it if someone else has any advice or even if you detail exactly what you did to get the MT32 emulation to work correctly on Mac.

Thanks!

Reply 5 of 6, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

you can't without tinkering and applying the patch somehow to current SVN of dosbox and compile it yourself. OR you convince the boxer author to backport the mt32 emulation patches...

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 6 of 6, by laxdragon

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

It seems Boxer has recently added MT-32 support. Just drag the bios roms onto the audio tab and voila!

I gotta say, I love how Boxer does the MT-32 lcd, it comes up as a pop-up overlay. Very slick.

*EDIT* Sorry, for bringing this thread back from the graveyard, but it seemed important enough.

laxDRAGON.com | My Game Collection | My Computers | YouTube