VOGONS

Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 100 of 52358, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

For a long while now it's been bugging me that I didn't own a single decent VLB graphics card so I went to look on Ebay and saw a 2MB Trio64 for sale.

In the end I won the bid and now, after a week or so, I received the package.
It was very sturdy packed and inside was the card wrapped in a very large antistatic bag.
"Strange he wrapped the bag around the card" I thought but nevermind, lets inspect the card. It looked fine except that one of those tarantulum capacitor thingies had 1 of it's legs disconnected and it looked damaged. "Shouldn't be too much of a problem, probably fixable" I was thinking to myself and decided to put the card into the very big antistatic bag.
"Huh? Why's the bag still heavy??" there was something else in it?
I could see a PCB and took it out.
"WTF theres another Trio64 VLB in it!!!" The guy send me 2 cards instead of one!!

2 for the price of 1 😁

Don't have time to make pics, expecting a couple friends any moment and it's all lan-party the rest of the weekend 😁

Reply 102 of 52358, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Not really Retro stuff, but the purchase is related to my current Retro PC project!

2x Black Floppy drives (Hardly any shops sell floppy drives, let alone black ones!)
1x Samsung IDE DVDRW

dsc01415x.jpg

Reply 103 of 52358, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Davros wrote:

Davros demands a review of thew thrustmaster

Unfortunately, KAN still experiences problems with it (ignore the first post), so the stick so far only works as normal spring joystick. Could anyone please help?

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.

Reply 105 of 52358, by Amigaz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
bushwack wrote:
Rounding out my collection of Virge cards for only $1.25 is the STB Nitro 3D, the GX is the last of the Virge PCI series. […]
Show full quote

Rounding out my collection of Virge cards for only $1.25 is the STB Nitro 3D, the GX is the last of the Virge PCI series.

stb_nitro_3d.jpg

Nice find, have three of these

Got them from some Gateway 2000 machine I scapped at work...I think they were only in OEM systems

My retro computer stuff: https://lychee.jjserver.net/#16136303902327

Reply 107 of 52358, by Davros

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman wrote:

Unfortunately, KAN still experiences problems with it so the stick so far only works as normal spring joystick. Could anyone please help?

You said you got 2 sticks do they both have no ff ?

do the power adapters work ?

did you install the drivers first then plug in the stick when it told you to ?

if no unplug the stick, uninstall the drivers and software, uninstall the stick with usbdeview
http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/usb_devices_view.html
reboot
and install properly

ps: drivers for xp
http://ts.thrustmaster.com/download/accessori … /2_FFJ_2004.exe

Guardian of the Sacred Five Terabyte's of Gaming Goodness

Reply 108 of 52358, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Davros wrote:

Unfortunately, KAN still experiences problems with it so the stick so far only works as normal spring joystick. Could anyone please help?

You said you got 2 sticks do they both have no ff ?

2 sticks?

Davros wrote:

do the power adapters work ?

did you install the drivers first then plug in the stick when it told you to ?

Yes. Actually, the Force Feedback effect is there, but it only works as Spring effect, ie, no dynamic Force Feedback.

Davros wrote:
if no unplug the stick, uninstall the drivers and software, uninstall the stick with usbdeview http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/usb_ […]
Show full quote

if no unplug the stick, uninstall the drivers and software, uninstall the stick with usbdeview
http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/usb_devices_view.html
reboot
and install properly

ps: drivers for xp
http://ts.thrustmaster.com/download/accessori … /2_FFJ_2004.exe

I'll try, thanks.

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....

Reply 110 of 52358, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:

Got some more bits!

It will never end. 😉 (Some of you other Vogons nutters might be able to relate to this.)

Regarding the CF card - what speed is it? My current 2 and 4 GB CF cards are 133x speed, but I would be interested in testing faster cards, to see if win98 performs any better.

Reply 111 of 52358, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Well I didn't have any luck booting from that CF.

I can fdisk it, I can format it. I can sys it. I can copy stuff onto it. I can run games from it. But I just can't boot from it...

It doesn't hang or anything, just stops right before it should load the OS... Tried two mainboards, master, slave, primary, secondary. I guess it's just one that doesn't like booting 😁

No idea what speed mate, but it felt rather slow. Like copying some games, took quite a bit...

It's a cheapo from ebay. My desktop with the CF reader isn't up and running yet so I can't test the speed. Waiting for a new AMD 555 cpu to arrive soon 😁

Will get a notebook hard drive as I have the adapters already...

EDIT: Ordered 2 other CF > IDE adapters. This time they mention bootable and one mentiones supporting UDMA. So I guess I just picked a non bootable model 😁

Reply 112 of 52358, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

How fast a CF is? If it's faster than hard drive, then I think it would be a good place to store your Windows pagefile.

Reply 113 of 52358, by Davros

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

2 sticks?

A pair is 2

I've also won a pair of Thrustmaster Top Gun Afterburner Force Feedback.

Guardian of the Sacred Five Terabyte's of Gaming Goodness

Reply 114 of 52358, by archsan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Davros wrote:

2 sticks?

A pair is 2

Ahaha, apparently there are a pair of sticks attached to the same base...

btw, won this yesterday:

iaz4vSoW9xIN1283104884S.jpg

a true Roland MPU-401 at last...

fortunately i woke up from sleep just about 10 minutes before its ending -- such a destiny cannot fail 😏

(Thanks God)

Reply 115 of 52358, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Davros wrote:

2 sticks?

A pair is 2

Er, what I mean by 'pair' is actually a pair of joystick and throttle. I'm still at loss why dynamic force feedback effect does not work, while spring effect (artificial spring created by Force Feedback) works. It doesn't sound like hardware problem, does it?

Reply 117 of 52358, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Davros wrote:

did you try what i suggested ?
and how are you testing

Not yet, I've been pretty busy lately. But I'll let you know the result.

Reply 118 of 52358, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
archsan wrote:

btw, won this yesterday:

Did you pick it up? Because I saw such an item on eBay Germany the other day. I didn't bid, but I got another item. A midiman MM401 for 3 Euros 😁

Reply 119 of 52358, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Another box came today! It was another "bundle" purchase. I really just wanted that slot 1 board, but it came with some other bits and peaces as well...

Link to mainboard specs: http://www.gigabyte.com.au/products/product-p … id=1445&dl=1#sp

Will flash the bios right away and and see if the board works...

It also came with some PCI network cards but they aren't any use to me...

An S3 video card

dsc01421b.jpg

Soundblaster AWE64

dsc01426il.jpg

Unknown video card

dsc01428va.jpg

Geforce MX440

dsc01430m.jpg

3 Sticks of PC133 SDRAM

dsc01435ty.jpg

Gigabyte GA-6BXC Slot 1 board

dsc01437bm.jpg