VOGONS

D1_3dfx

Topic actions

First post, by lemming

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

As mentioned in one of the threads in the GliDOS forum, D1_3DFXb1 seems to run really well on OpenGLide. I've got it up and running, and it's great--except for one annoying graphical glitch. I'm running Windows XP, NVidia 45.23 drivers on a Geforce4 TI4400 (just for reference) and for some reason, OpenGlide puts little alpha artifacts at the edges of some textures. These are not black areas or anything, they are actually transparent.

Here's a snippet from my config file; I've tried turning practically all the options on and off, and none of them affect this glitch.

Version=0.09rc5 […]
Show full quote

Version=0.09rc5

[Options]
WrapperPriority=2
CreateWindow=1
InitFullScreen=1
EnableMipMaps=0
IgnorePaletteChange=0
Wrap565to5551=0
EnablePrecisionFix=1
EnableMultiTextureEXT=1
EnablePaletteEXT=1
EnableVertexArrayEXT=0
TextureMemorySize=16
FrameBufferMemorySize=8

Here's the glitch I was talking about--it occurs on the edges of some textures.

Attachments

• d13dfxglitch.jpg
    Filename
    d13dfxglitch.jpg
    File size
    41.91 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 2 of 9, by lemming

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

It never happened on any of the 3dfx cards I've owned. And it's far more noticeable on some levels than others, especially when there's lava in the room next door and it shows through the wall in about a dozen places. The texture in that little area is 100% transparent, so it'll show practically anything behind it. I was just wondering if anybody might know what was causing it--perhaps it's a simple texture scaling/alignment glitch, or that part of the texture is being improperly read and set transparent or something..

Still, it's incredibly impressive that the game works as well as it does. Aside from that graphics glitch, it's 100% playable, as stable as it ever was, and it runs pretty fast on my system. No other Glide wrapper I've tried has ever had results that good.

Reply 3 of 9, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

There's something funny going on with color keying I think. I had to put it into OpenGLide very early on for TR1, but only for paletted textures. Then later Craig pointed out some games that needed it for 16bit textures (Screamer being one of them). I got it working but then TR1 started to show transparencies in the frozen background to menues. I think that maybe this could be a feature that changed between Glide versions, so perhaps you would see it on certain 3dfx cards. It is a bit of a mystery.

I could add an option to OpenGLide to turn off color keying. Almost certain that Descent I & II don't use it. They use alpha.

Reply 5 of 9, by CraigG

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The best way to run Descent 1 is to run it natively in OpenGL via the file d1x143_oglmw.exe.
This way you avoid a further wrapper that causes the problems.

I now find the openGL version to be far better than the 3dfx one.
And it looks great on my 9700 Pro, with 6xFSAA, and 16xAF.

Athlon 64 3000+ stock
MSI NForce 4 K8N Neo Platinum
2Gb RAM
nVidia Geforce 6800GT stock clocks
SBLive! Platinum + Audigy ZS2 Drivers
WinXP Pro SP2

Reply 6 of 9, by lemming

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I know about D1X. However, its framerate caps out at 80 FPS, where D1_3DFX can be made to run as fast as possible. Also, I have problems with D1X's sound and joystick code (both of which have some bugs not present in D1_3DFX).

For example, the last version of D1X I managed to find a binary for (yes, it was 1.43) seemed to occasionally "flip" the hat-switch around (I had it mapped to the "slide up/down" function), and after a few minutes of gameplay, the volume (or something) of the sound would somehow change. It was weird.

Reply 7 of 9, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Craig, haven't seen a post from you for a while. How are you? Did you see I've started thinking about supporting the old statically linked games? Not sure I'm going to get anywhere, but I'm starting to look at it.

Reply 8 of 9, by CraigG

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi Paul,

I'm fine thanks, and busy.
Been building quite a few new PC's from home, and also doing some training. Great money, but not much time to myself.

I haven't used Glidos, or Openglide, for quite a while. And none of them probably work now, as I've changed all my hardware again.
Now on a AMD Barton 2.5 ghz, running at 2.2 internal, on a 200 bus.

Glad you are looking at the statically linked games, perhaps
now we can get those Fatal Racing/Whiplash games going ? 😀

And I'm still crossing my fingers for the Screamer games 😉

As always, you can rely on me to do some major testing.

Athlon 64 3000+ stock
MSI NForce 4 K8N Neo Platinum
2Gb RAM
nVidia Geforce 6800GT stock clocks
SBLive! Platinum + Audigy ZS2 Drivers
WinXP Pro SP2