VOGONS

Common searches

Windows versions of DOS games list

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

First post, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Looking for yet another "list".

Anyone have a listing of all the DOS titles that were also made available in Windows format (3.1 or 9x)?

Off the top-of-my-head, I know that "Big Red Racing", "Out of this World" <originally "Another World" in Europe>, "King's Quest V", "Freddy Pharcus: Frontier Pharmacist" and "Gobliiins" were all made available in Windows as well as DOS.

<DOOM (& all it's variants) are available as well, but the Source Ports of these titles are far better.>

I know that Another World/Out of this World was giving headaches to those trying to run the DOS version under 2000/XP so I gave the Windows version a try (I found this little gem on CD at a "Half-Price" bookstore clearance rack for 50 cents).

The Windows version can be run in a window or full-screen (if your Desktop isn't set to 256 colors, then the windowed version's palette will be mangled).

Runs fullscreen with sound just fine on Win98 with one exception. Enabling MIDI causes an immediate crash. Runs in windowed mode just fine on XP with both sound effects and MIDI, but you can't play Full-Screen. Odd.
(On XP you can use the 256-color option on the Compatibility Tab to keep a proper color palette).

In any case, I know I can play it now without messing with speed/IRQ/DMA settings, etc...

(The original Amiga version should also be quite playable).

Ok, this is a very preliminary list of the DOS game titles that were also available for Windows (not DOS games running within Windows). Most of the data was retrieved from MobyGames with a few minor corrections. This is just to get started. Some of these were only available for Windows in a later re-release (with a partial name-change).
<NOTE: I tried to leave out the majority of Add-ons because they usually work for both DOS and Windows as well. Also, Quake add-ons probably number in the thousands and would just hose the whole purpose of the list.>
--------------------------------------
1942: The Pacific Air War
3 Skulls of the Toltecs
7th Guest
9:05
Absolute Pinball
Aces Of The Pacific
Actua Soccer (1995)
Afterlife
AH-64D Longbow
AH-64D Longbow Flashpoint: Korea
Alien Cabal
Alone in the Dark 3 (Dos/Win Hybrid)
Amazon Trail
ATF: Advanced Tactical Fighters
ATF: Nato Fighters
Atlantis: The Lost Tale
Back to Baghdad
Baldies
Battle Chess
Battlespire (An Elder Scrolls Legend)
Beyond The Wall Of Stars
Big Red Racing
Broken Sword: The Shadow of the Templars (Circle of Blood)
Bubble Bobble featuring Rainbow Islands (Acclaim)
Burn:Cycle
Capitalism
Cart Racing (Sierra)
Chewy: Esc from F5
City of Lost Children
Civilization
Cold War Warfare
Comanche 3
Command & Conquer
Command & Conquer: Red Alert
Conquest Earth
Conquest of the New World
Cricket 97
Curses
D-Generation
Darklight Conflict
Deja Vu: A Nightmare Comes True
Deja Vu II
Descent II
Destruction Derby 2
Deus (sequel to 1994's Robinson's Requiem)
Die Fugger II
Discworld II: Mortality Bytes!
Dracula in London
Dragon Lore
Dreams to Reality
Dungeon Keeper
EcoQuest 2: Lost Secret of The Rainforest
Empire Deluxe
Empire Deluxe Masters Edition
Even More Incredible Machine, The
Fable
Doom
Fleet Defender
Flight Unlimited
Flying Corps
Fragile Allegiance
Frank Thomas Big Hurt Baseball
Freddy Pharkas: Frontier Pharmacist
Full Throttle
Gabriel Knight: Sins of the Fathers
Genewars
Gobliiins
Grand Prix Manager
Grand Theft Auto
Grand Theft Auto: London, 1969 (add-on)
Gunmetal
Halls of the Dead - Faery Tale Adventure II
Harpoon
Harpoon 2 Admirals Edition
Heretic
Hero Quest (Not the Sierra game)
Heroes of Might and Magic
Hexen
HIND
I-0: Jailbait on Interstate Zero
iF-16 Fighting Falcon
Ignition
Jones in the Fast Lane
Jungle Book
King's Quest 1
King's Quest 5
King's Quest 6
King's Quest 7: The Princeless Bride
Krush, Kill 'N' Destroy (KKND)
Lands of Lore: Guardians of Destiny
Last Express, The
Legend of Kyrandia
Leisure Suit Larry 6
Leisure Suit Larry 7: Love for Sail!
Lemmings
Liero
Lighthouse: The Dark Being
Linley Henzell's Dungeon Crawl
Lion
Lode Runner: The Legend Returns
Lords of the Realm II
M.A.X.
Master of Orion 2: Battle at Antares
MDK
Meat Puppet
Mechwarrior 2
Mechwarrior 2: Mercenaries
Mixed Up Mother Goose
Monkey Island
Montezuma's Return
Mortal Kombat Trilogy
NASCAR Racing 2
NBA Live 97
Need For Speed
NeoHunter
Nethack: Falcon's Eye
Norse By Norse West
Once and Future
Operation Carnage
Oregon Trail
Out Of This World
Oxyd Extra
PC F򴢯l 6
PC F򴢯l 7
Phantasmagoria: A Puzzle of Flesh
Photopia
Pleurghburg: Dark Ages
Police Quest 4: Open Season
Princess Maker 2 (English Translation)
Privateer 2: The Darkening
Pro Pinball: Timeshock
Project Paradise
Psychotron
Putt-Putt Goes to the Moon
Putt-Putt Joins the Parade
Quake
Queen: The Eye
Quest For Glory 4: Shadows Of Darkness
Quivering, The
Rama
RISK
RoboSport
Santa Fe Mysteries: The Elk Moon Murder
Screamer Rally
Sensible Golf
Sentient
Shadows of Cairn
Shanghai II: Dragon's Eye
SimAnt
SimCity
SimCity 2000
SimEarth
SimFarm
SimIsle
SimLife
Simon the Sorcerer
Simon the Sorcerer 2
Space Quest IV
Space Quest VI: Roger Wilco in the Spinal Frontier
Spellcross (JRC Interactive)
Spycraft: The Great Game
Star General
Star Wars Chess
Steel Panthers III: Brigade Command (1939-1999)
Swiv 3D
Take No Prisoners
Tempest 2000
The Beast Within: A Gabriel Knight Mystery
Theme Hospital
Thinkin' Things
Three Sisters' Story
Tie-Fighter
Time Commando
Timegate: Knight's Chase
Torin's Passage
Transport Tycoon Deluxe
Twinsen's Odyssey (Little Big Adventure 2)
Tyrian 2000
Vacation Gone Awry
Varicella
WarCraft II (Tides of Darkness)
WarCraft II: Beyond the Dark Portal
Waterworld
Wing Commander 4: The Price of Freedom
Wing Commander Add-Ons for 1 & 2 (All)
Wing Commander I
Wing Commander II
Wing Commander III
WWII: 1946
X-COM
X-COM: Terror from the Deep
X-COM: Apocalypse
X-Wing
Zork Nemesis
---------------------------------------
A few surprises here like "1942: The Pacific Air War" (Gold) and Tyrian 2000. A few I'm not so sure about like "Descent II" and
"Destruction Derby 2".
(Updated 31Aug2002)
Removed "Pandora Directive" as it is a DOS game with a Windows tool (that is useless in 2000/XP).
(Updated 26April2003)
Flight Unlimited added
(Updated 28April2003)
Transport Tycoon Deluxe added (updated 5May2003)

Reply 1 of 32, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

That's really cool.
Are the game manufacturers still supporting these versions?
If not, I think it'd be great to get their permission to set up a site for people to get these classics. (Perhaps having the prerequisite of owning the old DOS version would make it easier to persuade them?)

I haven't seen ANY of those games in Windows, and I'd really love to be able to play them. (The problem I find with the Amiga versions is the speed of the disk drives and the amount of swapping needed is extremely annoying.)

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 2 of 32, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Snover wrote:

Are the game manufacturers still supporting these versions?

For the most part, no. The closest has been LucasArts, who have re-released some older titles from their DOS versions as Win9x titles (X-Wing,Tie-Fighter, and Full Throttle) at a "reduced" price.

Unfortunately, not all is well with the re-releases either. X-Wing's MIDI music was (apparently) swapped for pre-recorded CD audio and some other features came up missing.
There was also a re-release (apparently on DVD?) of "Sam N Max" along with "Day of the Tentacle" that were _not_ converted to Windows executables (IOW, they have all the problems of their previous releases).

If not, I think it'd be great to get their permission to set up a site for people to get these classics. (Perhaps having the prerequisite of owning the old DOS version would make it easier to persuade them?)

Good luck. Occasionally, a company will "throw us a bone", but (for the most part) companies aren't interested on the old titles unless they they can figure a way of remaking it using the Quake3 engine.

That's not always so bad (but usually, it is).

I haven't seen ANY of those games in Windows, and I'd really love to be able to play them.

Most are a real oddity. Almost no info on the Windows releases, because it seems that the moment you mention it runs in DOS, people presume it's DOS-only. I know a few have shown up in the Mobygames.com (that's how I found out about the Windows version of "Another World/Out of this World").

I stumbled across the CD (disc-only), and guessed that the CD-MMC was related to "MultiMedia".

(The problem I find with the Amiga versions is the speed of the disk drives and the amount of swapping needed is extremely annoying.)

Mostly European programmers not grasping the concept of an expanded Amiga (it supported up to 4 floppy drives, but multi-drive support was almost as bad as Hard-Drive support). I still remember a British magazine saying you couldn't run "Dungeon Master" on an A500 because it required a meg to run <cue rolling of eyes>.

This could be handled fairly easily if someone could tweak the UAE source code so you could hot-swap floppies (IE: Press Ctrl-F12 to swap between 1stSamuaraiA.ADF and 1stSamuaraiB.ADF).

"First Samurai" is also a good example where you don't want to play the PC version. The DOS version still works on modern PC' s (with no floppy-swapping) but, of course the speed's all wrong (varies between way too fast and way too slow), the music is all Ad-lib sounding, sampled audio is missing, etc...

Anyway, like I said the Windows version ran (mostly) fine for me. That's why I'm interested in other Windows versions of old DOS titles.

Reply 3 of 32, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Obvious one off the top of my head:
Lemmings. There was a Lemmings for Windows95 which other than a slightly different UI at the menu screen was identical to Lemmings for DOS.

Nice idea (I think I may have had the idea myself at some point too). I'll work more on it when I get the chance. However, I'd imagine the list to be much longer than the two of my Glide-games list combined. 😀

I'd like to apologize to the other moderators/admins: I'm in the midst of launching a new website and really hassled at work and haven't had much time thus far to contribute or even to edit things I've posted already. Sorry about that - I hope the matter to improve in the future.

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 4 of 32, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Snover wrote:

EEEEDITOR! 😉

Eh? What'd I do?

Most games that have both DOS and Windows versions were generally released around 1995, when Windows 95 was released, but others that use longstanding parsers (like Sierra's AGI and SCI games) have had both DOS and Windows versions for a long while.

Actually, what' struck me is the amazing inconsistency that I've seen.

Sierra's Windows conversions of classics seems "spotty" 2 King's Quests, Freddy Pharkas,etc... but most SCI games were left out.

Was surprised at 1942. Early release for for Win 3.x (Most flight-sims clung to DOS even after Win9x was released. IE: Jane's ATF and USNF). Some, like the 2 early X-COM's were very sloppy conversions that still require hacking for most people to play them on a modern machine (even though the conversion was done relatively recently). Was amazed Tyrian 2000 was released for DOS in 1999.

The most consistent thing I notice is how quietly these were released. Yes, there were a lot of dual releases around '95, but there's a lot of oddballs as well. I have no idea when they remade Full Throttle, but they sure didn't advertise it.

BTW, you know of a way to display a dual-column listing within a message forum? My original list with the re-release info made more sense, but I couldn't post it because I kept losing the "columns".

Reply 5 of 32, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Eh? What'd I do?

Read what I quoted. Those are identical games! Listed twice!

Sierra's Windows conversions of classics seems "spotty" 2 King's Quests, Freddy Pharkas,etc... but most SCI games were left out.

It is just a parser that's needed, so take SCIWV.EXE (hell, I've even attached one from EcoQuest CD -- it SHOULD work) from any game and put it in the DOS-only game.

The most consistent thing I notice is how quietly these were released. Yes, there were a lot of dual releases around '95, but there's a lot of oddballs as well.

Most people were still using DOS when they re-released them, so there was no point in really spouting that they'd also released them for the "modern" OS.

I have no idea when they remade Full Throttle, but they sure didn't advertise it.

That's a misnomer. It's still the DOS version, just with an autorun program. Just like The Dig and all the other games released in their "volume packs" 😜

BTW, you know of a way to display a dual-column listing within a message forum? My original list with the re-release info made more sense, but I couldn't post it because I kept losing the "columns".

I'll add some new vB code to allow you to make tables.

Attachments

• Filename
    sciwv.zip
    File size
    75.97 KiB
    Downloads
    1047 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 6 of 32, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Snover wrote:

Read what I quoted. Those are identical games! Listed twice!

Warcraft II (Tides of Darkness) is the actual game.
http://pc.mobygames.com/game/sheet/gameId=1339/
"Beyond the Dark Portal" is the add-on.
http://pc.mobygames.com/game/sheet/gameId=1377/
Both have Warcraft II as the prefix. I corrected the original to display it's full name.

It is just a parser that's needed, so take SCIWV.EXE (hell, I've even attached one from EcoQuest CD -- it SHOULD work) from any game and put it in the DOS-only game.

That's odd. If true, I wonder why I haven't heard of anyone doing it before.

Most people were still using DOS when they re-released them, so there was no point in really spouting that they'd also released them for the "modern" OS.

Except there were a lot of people that only displayed an interest in home computers when the GUI arrived. For the "newbie"/'Casual computer User", a Windows label says "I'm easy to run". Actually there were some ads with the Win31 versions declaring them to be "multimedia enhanced".

<Referring to Win9x Full Throttle>
That's a misnomer. It's still the DOS version, just with an autorun program. Just like The Dig and all the other games released in their "volume packs" 😜

!! You sure? I know they re-released X-Wing/Tie Fighter game as Win9x versions (apparently bungling a few things in the process).

I'm amazed they would do this. This is even more dumb than re-releasing D.O.T.T and SamN'Max together in their original DOS formats (I think this was just about a year ago...) without proper setup programs.

I'll add some new vB code to allow you to make tables.

Thanks.
--------------------------------------
BTW, I yanked "Duke Extreme" from the list as it was just a GUI Launcher for the DOS game. I also annotated a little note for "Alone in the Dark 3". This one is actually using a DOS executable for both Windows and DOS. The strange thing is, it automatically uses the Windows audio if you choose "Do Not Use" in the DOS audio settings. Weird. Was surprised to see that they had dropped the MIDI music in favor of streaming audio from the CD. May play the Mac version instead as the PC version _still_ uses 320x200 mode only.

Reply 7 of 32, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Snover wrote:

Sam'n'Max and DOTT were released in the same volume pack as The Dig and Full Throttle!!

Going from memory, I was referring to special DVD release that (apparently) happened only in Europe. Of course, I can't find the original source for that...pbtt. The "Full Throttle" I saw was a separate release. I had seen a "volume pack" before, but I saw DOS requirements on it. Been a while since I checked though, that must be a "Volume Pack Re-Release" or something.

Snover wrote:

I have AitD3 and it's not in 320x200, IIRC. I mean, it's been a while, but I'm pretty certain it's not.

Took some snapshots to compare. It's coming out as 640x400 on the windows version, but I think that's just pixel doubling.

The Mac versions had pixel-doubled backgrounds, but all the 3D items were rendered in 640x400 (optional in AITD1). Take a look, notice the jaggies for the poygonals in the DOS/Win version.
(NOTE: Tried to make a direct comparison for AITD3 on Mac and PC, but I couldn't find the Mac version.)

Killed Attachment (wasting space)

Reply 8 of 32, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Snover wrote:

Oh, yeah, those screenshots make me REALLY want to have the Mac version. They did NO remodelling, which means all the models have are finer lines -- no more detail.

Well I never it said it was DOOM3. It's just that the further away you can get from amorphous blobs, the better. There's also the bonus of not dealing with sound card configuration, timing, etc...

Originally played "Castle Wolfenstein 3D" on the Mac (while emulating it on an Amiga A4000). Going to the PC version was definitely a step down.

Reply 9 of 32, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Snover wrote:

I dunno, I just don't really see the benefit of running it on a Mac.

It's just that (presuming you've already set up a working emulation) with no extra effort you can get some added features while simultaneously not having to concern yourself with timing issues, IRQ's, DMA's, etc... .

Reply 10 of 32, by EddyB43

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Just thought I'd add a couple of games I know had Win3.1 (yes, not 9x) ports that aren't listed. Both the Deja Vu's did (one is listed), as did D-Generation, the classic isometric shooter.

Simon the Sorcerer 1&2 CD versions do both have a Win9x port, they came with at least the old large boxed double pack.

Most of the mid 90s VGA 256 colour Sierra titles had Windows 3.1 versions as well, King's Quest 6, Leisure Suit Larry 6 and Space Quest 4 are the ones I can quickly see missing from the main list posted by Nicht Sehr Gut.

As for compatibility, I'll see if I can try out a few of those Win3.1 ports and see how they handle in Windows 2000 (D-Generation might have problems for example).

Reply 11 of 32, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

There are a couple Win3x DLLs that need to be put in the game's directory in order to get them working properly. I learned this the hard way when a Win3x game I was trying to run overwrote some DLLs in my system folder and broke most of the modern programs. (Fortunately, Windows searches for DLLs first in the program folder, and if found, it uses them instead of those in the [windows,winnt]\SYSTEM32 folder.)

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 12 of 32, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Here are those Win3x DLLs. (I had to create a new post koz I can't add attachments when I'm editing posts -- something I do much too often 😁)

It's a WinRAR SFX archive, for those that don't have a program to extract RAR files.

Attachments

• Filename
    old-win3x-dlls.exe
    File size
    547.68 KiB
    Downloads
    1035 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 13 of 32, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Snover wrote:

Working emulation? Feh. I can't get programs in Basilisk to work for the most part. Bloody annoying. How did Macs ever work in the first place? 😉

Quite easily actually. You're saying that Basilisk isn't working properly for you? I'm surprised. Once you get past the initial (annoying) setup, you just archive the (virtual) hard drive, then add a "game partition" and make sure you install all your games there.

Most of the ones I have are working properly (Though I wish I could fix the graphic glitches in "Super Wing Commander").

Reply 14 of 32, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
EddyB43 wrote:

Just thought I'd add a couple of games I know had Win3.1 (yes, not 9x) ports that aren't listed. Both the Deja Vu's did (one is listed),

I knew about the 2nd, can't believe I didn't post it.

Simon the Sorcerer 1&2 CD versions do both have a Win9x port, they came with at least the old large boxed double pack.

I know #2 had a Win9x version, but are you sure the original wasn't just a "DOS Game that runs fine in Win95"?

Reply 15 of 32, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Puzzle wrote:

I was not aware of that Wing Commander 1 and 2 were released as native Windows-versions.
Do you anything more about them? Are they for Windows 3.1 or 95? And where can I get them? 😀

Wing Commander 1,2,and 3 were re-released as "Wing Commander: The Kilrathi Saga" for Windows 95. Origin had only sold this on the market for a short while, then stopped. I'm sure your aware that Origin has bailed completely on home-based single-player gaming and is concentrating on on-line pay-for-play titles. It would probably be hard to find, even at a store that deals with used software.

I won't post a link here, but your best bet is to search for the underdogs online.