VOGONS

First post, by Dymlos

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have Master of Magic [link removed].

It is patched to its latest version 1.31

I also have Jay Barnett's Multiplayer Shell version 4.2: http://home.no/michbert/mmom42s.zip

I have tested this on two different computers, one running XP Pro SP2 32-bit, the other running XP MCE SP2 32-bit and I get the same error using the latest DosBox 0.72 on both machines. I've gotten the program to run fine on older machines without DosBox.

Now firstly, running Master of Magic works perfectly (yay DosBox). I just type magic.exe and hit enter. I set my CPU cycles where I want, and voila. The sound and music in this game are awful so I leave them off. The game runs perfectly.

Now, I don't care about starting multiplayer games using this shell, but one of the neat things is the editor that is included.

To use the editor on single player games, it is simple:

Run mm.bat in DosBox to open up the shell.
Click Editor to load the editor, this exits the shell.
Now you can run magic.exe and after hitting alt+f1 to activate the editor, you should be good to go.

THE PROBLEM:

When I try to run the editor, I get the error:

"Not enough free upper memory: Load aborted"

-------------------------------

I checked through the config file and tried messing a bit with XMS/EMS/etc. memory true vs. false, but I'm not very savvy with all of that.

Does anyone know any solutions or is anyone willing to use the above files to troubleshoot a solution for me (and anyone else with this problem).

Essentially all I would need is for someone to tell me how I can get the editor to load without giving me the memory error. You can test it quickly and easily just by downloading the mmom42s.zip file from the above link. Unzip it, run mm.bat in the MoM directory (the link to MoM above is already patched).

Incase you are wary, I scanned all of the above files with Grisoft's AVG Free 8, and it found nothing. I still advise anyone to scan the links for themselves, but AVG says they're fine, as well, AVG's safe link search, Yahoo, and Mozilla Firefox 3.0.1 all approved of the sites that are listed above.

Thanks in advance. And let me know if there is any other useful information that I can provide.

Reply 1 of 17, by Dymlos

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Just finished reviewing all FAQs, the wiki, and the readme, I can't find any advice with how to handle memory problems other than what I've already done. I'm tried running the program on two different rigs, both of which are high end even by today's standards, so I don't think that's the issue.

Reply 5 of 17, by Dymlos

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

All right, so I tried bugs_bugger and I did loadfix from -1 to -99 and still could not load the editor.

Then I tried ovvldc's "better DOS extender", but i don't believe MoM uses DOS4GW anyways.

Lastly, I tried using "none" for my sound device rather than soundblaster, and saw no result.

------

While I really hope this doesn't go off topic: I didn't realize the link I posted was "warez". It pulls up high on a Google search, doesn't have any weird registration, etc. I know the company MicroProse is no more, but am unaware if someone has bought the rights to MoM. It's certainly no longer for sale. I don't even see a copy listed on eBay. Still, I do own an original copy of the CD-ROM DOS game.

------

Any other suggestions? I tried using VDMSound, and it runs the editor just fine, the problem is, VDMSound doesn't seem to support loading something then opening something else.

------

Lastly, I just read that I didn't completely follow the posting guidelines:

Computer 1: Dell Inspiron Laptop E1505 - Intel Core Duo T2400 1.833GHz dual core, 2MB L2 cache, 667MHz FSB, latest BIOS from Dell. Built-in sound. 2 x 1GB (2GB DDR2-667) by Crucial, ATi Radeon X1400, latest Omega drivers

Computer 2: Desktop: Asus P5N-e SLI, Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 2.4GHz dual core, 4MB L2 cache, 1066MHz FSB, 2GB (2 x 1GB) DDR2-800 by Corsair, XMS2, 4-4-4-12-22-2T, eVGA nVidia GeForce 8800 GTS (640MB), PCI-e 16x, SUPERCLOCKED, CreativeLabs SoundBlaster Audigy 2 Platinum latest nVidia beta drivers.

So I'm using computers with totally different audio and video (I imagine those are the usual culprits).

Reply 6 of 17, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

While I really hope this doesn't go off topic: I didn't realize the link I posted was "warez". It pulls up high on a Google search, doesn't have any weird registration, etc. I know the company MicroProse is no more, but am unaware if someone has bought the rights to MoM. It's certainly no longer for sale. I don't even see a copy listed on eBay. Still, I do own an original copy of the CD-ROM DOS game.

sorry for straying OT and not contributing to your problem. Just because Micropose is no more doesn't mean the rights to Micropose software are no longer valid. I don't know what happened to the MicroPose IP, but most of the times in the course of shutting down or going bancrupt some entity gets the rights... and even if not, then you still have the original author. I'm not a lawyer and certainly can't speek for every country's copyright laws but copyright does not run out just because a companygoes out of business. There are tons of discussions on this on Vogons. Search for warez and copyright and you will find them.

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 8 of 17, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

It won't? Not even with this link:
posting.php?mode=editpost&p=139178

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 10 of 17, by Dymlos1

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Heh, couldn't get my old login to work (even used the "Lost Password" function, and when I requested a new password to be sent to me, I clicked to Activate it, but it said "No such user found").

So here I am again with a new user.

Now, the point:

I saw the recently released 0.73 version and was eager to see if I still ran into the same problem... which I did.

I'm still excited to see if anyone can offer a new piece of advice, or if they are willing to undertake testing to see how to get the program to work.

As for the game Master of Magic, it still works flawlessly as it did in the previous version, so, I'm still really happy.

Reply 11 of 17, by Dymlos1

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Tried this using 0.74 and still can't get it to work.

I would worship anyone who could get this working.

Simple request: download the above files (all legally of course, so if you don't own Master of Magic, go buy it from GoG or somewhere).

Try to run mm.bat from the mmom42s.zip in your game directory. Click load editor, and get it to work. You will then be my hero.

Every time I do it, it basically says "not enough upper memory".

Thanks a million.

Reply 12 of 17, by bloodbat

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Odd...from the mmoms.txt instructions:
Finally, you must have the following amounts of FREE, CONTIGUOUS
UPPER MEMORY to use each of the following parts of MMoMS:

Normal multiplayer play: 8k
Modem multiplayer play: 21k
Editor: 10k

Which mem *does* report I have using DosBox 0.74 (actually I have, according to it, 64kb UMBs) 😖 I tried messing with some new options from the SVN that pertain to memory...but to no avail...sorry, I wish I could help more

Reply 13 of 17, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

There is a known issue with the LOADHIGH / LH command in DOSBox where many programs do not actually load into upper memory. Some .EXE format TSRs will load high if they specify the amount of memory they need in their headers, but that appears to be unusual; and all .COM format TSRs will not load high. The issue is that when programs being loaded high ask for "all available" memory, DOSBox will load them in lower memory because there is more there, which is not how it works in real DOS.

Until the issue is resolved, the attached TSR program will work around it. The LOADHIGH command in DOSBox sets the DOS memory allocation strategy to 0x80 (search high memory then low memory) when executing programs; and the TSR simply changes the strategy to 0x40 (search high memory only). The caveat is that there is no "fall back" to lower memory if the program doesn't fit into upper memory, in which case the program will not load at all. Source code is included in the archive.

Attachments

• Filename
    LHUP.ZIP
    File size
    723 Bytes
    Downloads
    467 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 14 of 17, by bloodbat

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thanks to Ripsaw your program seems to work...in order for you to get it working, change all references to lh in mm.bat to lhup, it will probably fix your problem 😀

Thanks a lot Ripsaw, even if it's not for me.

Reply 16 of 17, by Dymlos1

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Wow.... over 2 years ago I posted about this, and recently I tried posting on a Master of Magic forum, and bam, just like that, you have a solution.

Awesome.

I owe you one "internets", sir. Feel free to message me or leave a post if there is something I can solve for you. My expertise includes "modern" hardware, IT-esque stuff, music of all kinds, martial arts.

Cheers.

Reply 17 of 17, by ynkot

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Wow.... over 2 years ago I posted about this, and recently I tried posting on a Master of Magic forum, and bam, just like that, you have a solution.

Can you explain, how did you make it work? Replacing "lh" with "lhup" does allow the MoM Shell to load without "not enough upper memory" message, but it still does not work in the game (using DOSBox 0.74, config unchanged).

Edit: nevermind, running "lhup" *before* "mm.bat" without changing anything in the batch file makes it work. Sorry. 😀 Seems like it is time to disassemble my old Pentium 2 machine that was made exclusively to run Master of Magic with this shell. 😀