VOGONS

Common searches

Guide - Windows 95 on DOSBox 0.74

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

Reply 61 of 123, by Duffman

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I manage to boot a 2gig windows98 image with this build
http://ykhwong.x-y.net/

had to manually specify drive geometry though, autodetect got confused

MB: ASRock B550 Steel Legend
CPU: Ryzen 9 5950X
RAM: Corsair 64GB Kit (4x16GB) DDR4 Veng LPX C18 4000MHz
SSDs: 2x Crucial MX500 1TB SATA + 1x Samsung 980 (non-pro) 1TB NVMe SSD
OSs: Win 11 Pro (NVMe) + WinXP Pro SP3 (SATA)
GPU: RTX2070 (11) GT730 (XP)

Reply 63 of 123, by evildoctorbluetooth

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey I'm new, but i think I can help.
My build on windows 95 required an old version of windows, which in my case was 3.1, so i installed 3.1 to my disk image. But then it occured to me, is there any reason why you cant just:
mount the ISO using daemon tools.
Mount the C image onto dos
mount the daemon tools image as a disk
then boot wherever windows 3.1 is, then use that for copying and pasting of the data from the windows95 disk to the Disk image.

Reply 64 of 123, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
evildoctorbluetooth wrote:

My build on windows 95 required an old version of windows, which in my case was 3.1, so i installed 3.1 to my disk image.

I have no idea why you would need Windows 3.1 in order to install Windows 95, unless for some reason you have a Windows 95 Upgrade version that requires a Windows 3.1 installation. Generally it is preferable to use a CD that installs freshly rather than one that can only upgrade an existing installation, as upgrading an existing installation, even a clean one, can cause problems.

But then it occured to me, is there any reason why you cant just: mount the ISO using daemon tools. Mount the C image onto dos m […]
Show full quote

But then it occured to me, is there any reason why you cant just:
mount the ISO using daemon tools.
Mount the C image onto dos
mount the daemon tools image as a disk
then boot wherever windows 3.1 is, then use that for copying and pasting of the data from the windows95 disk to the Disk image.

Sure, that would work, but:
Why would you need to mount the ISO using Daemon Tools when DOSBox can mount the ISO directly? And why would you need to use DOSBox to copy the files to the disk image when you can just use DiskExplorer, which is free? And why would you need to use Windows 3.1 just to copy files from a mounted CD image to a mounted hard disk image when you can just use the DOSBox "copy" command?

Reply 65 of 123, by evildoctorbluetooth

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Jorpho wrote:

I have no idea why you would need Windows 3.1 in order to install Windows 95.

Yes you are right, the image i got must have been an upgrade version. And it does have problems, which i will list below.

Why would you need to mount the ISO using Daemon Tools when DOSBox can mount the ISO directly? ....?

You ask good questions, ok, so the reason that I didnt mount the ISO in dosbox was that i prefered to mount d e: than imgmount c:\romstorage\win95.iso -t blah blah, but i suppose that if this was being run often, then it would be worth typing it in full in a batch file.
I used windows 3.1 because i had it already, and found that this disk explorer didnt work too well. i have since found imgexp which seems to work well.

So that i dont double post, i do have some questions, So that i could Run star trek Generations, i downloaded sp1, and dirext X, but everytime i install them windows 95 crashes, could that be due to the upgrade version?
Cheers

Reply 67 of 123, by Zoefjunior

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi! First of all, thanks a lot for this great guide.

I have come so far as the step of actually installing windows95, but my problem is that the mouse is not responding, not even after running mouse.com from the A: drive...
I decided to ignore this for now and use the keyboard to install windows anyway. Then I ran into a second problem: after setting the installation type and the setup checking my disk etc. I get the error "Setup cannot read the windows 95 setup disk. Make sure the disk is in the drive"

All the files from my 13 windows floppy's are in the c.img (I couldn't find a separate "win95" folder? All the .cab files were in the same directory as the installation files and executables)

I'm using the latest Dosbox 0.74 on a Macbook Pro running OSX 10.5.8 (Leopard) I also configured Dosbox with your recommended CPU and display output settings.

I hope you can help me with this, thanks in advance!

Reply 68 of 123, by dada

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Did you put those CAB and the other files in a separate directory though? I'm sorry, I've never used the Win95 floppy version so I don't know if there are any problems with getting that to work in Dosbox. After you get the "cannot read the setup disk" error, aren't you given the opportunity to choose where exactly your setup files are located?

Reply 69 of 123, by Zoefjunior

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for the quick reply! Yes, I put all the setup files in a separate "WIN95" folder on the formatted c.img. And it doesn't give me any option except "Ok" and "exit Setup" (it waits for the disk or the "door" being closed).

Any idea on the mouse issue? I actually had it working last evening when starting dosbox in fullscreen, but it seems to randomly detect my mouse every now and then. I guess it gets locked up somehow during the process.

Reply 70 of 123, by dada

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Sorry, I can't think of anything right now so I'll have to check it out when I get back from vacation. I'm typing this on my phone right now from a ship headed for Finland. 😜

I'll download the disk-based Windows 95 and see if I can get it working next week.

Reply 71 of 123, by Zoefjunior

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi! I had some time this weekend to try things out and managed to fix it 😀 the problem was the labels of the individual disks. I actually had to mount them as separate floppy's with their proper labels in order for the setup to recognize the files. As for the mouse, once windows installed it worked flawlessly (probably a driver issue in the installer...) so, problems solved 😀 only remaining problem is getting control panel to work..

Reply 73 of 123, by Zoefjunior

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Haha, one problem after the other I guess...

Well, I got a couple of errors during the first startup from RUNDLL32 while initializing the Control Panel. Below I put two .dll files that also reported errors.
What basically happens when I double click control panel is an error from explorer.exe (?) and a system-freeze after that.

SYSTEM/msnsspc.dll
SYSTEM/msjava.dll

Reply 74 of 123, by dada

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

What version are you using, exactly? I have neither of those files. A screenshot would be useful too.

My version is Windows 95 retail, OEM, 4.00.950. You can check by opening command.com and typing "ver". (The command window will be glitched up, but that's normal.)

Reply 75 of 123, by Zoefjunior

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Version = 4.00.1111. I'm now actually using my old Dutch OEM CD-version too. The disk-version still had some issues and this one seems to run a lot smoother.
I discovered that inetcpl.cpl was broken by opening them up one after another in the windows/system folder. After removing that file from windows/system, control panel runs normally. Only thing is, that I don't have my internet options now. Could you maybe send me your copy of that file?

Next up is getting the CD-Rom to work...

Thanks!

Attachments

• Filename
    Picture 1.png
    File size
    741.93 KiB
    Downloads
    445 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 76 of 123, by dada

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Zoefjunior wrote:
Version = 4.00.1111. I'm now actually using my old Dutch OEM CD-version too. The disk-version still had some issues and this one […]
Show full quote

Version = 4.00.1111. I'm now actually using my old Dutch OEM CD-version too. The disk-version still had some issues and this one seems to run a lot smoother.
I discovered that inetcpl.cpl was broken by opening them up one after another in the windows/system folder. After removing that file from windows/system, control panel runs normally. Only thing is, that I don't have my internet options now. Could you maybe send me your copy of that file?

Next up is getting the CD-Rom to work...

Thanks!

I don't have that file in my 4.00.950 version, unfortunately. Glad to see you got it working though. You won't have internet access anyway unless you use H-A-L9000's custom build.

You won't get the CD-ROM to work either, at least not when booting from a disk image, since the code simply isn't there.

Reply 77 of 123, by paradoxus

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

There is another way to copy win95 setup.
mount your hard drive image.
use this command to mount the iso image with windows 95:
imgmount (filename goes here).iso -t iso
then make a directory on c:\ named win95
d:
cd win95
copy *.* c:\win95

Done.

Paradoxus
Tweenage (no that is not a typo) DOS Enthusiast

Reply 78 of 123, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I personally prefer Winimage to that method because you'll get a progress window whereas copying using DOSBox you may get a non responsive DOSBox window while it's copying (So it looks like the program hung which is kind of scary especially when you are dealing with filesystem stuff).

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 79 of 123, by Bladeforce

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hello, I've had plenty of success playing lots of games running windows 98SE under dosbox however i have never been able to get windows to detect the gamepad. It works fine under dosbox etc but 98SE doesnt want to see it, any ideas?