VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Every now and then there is a request to put the internal drive on a different drive then Z

Here is a patch that does this.

20070315: updated, includes ykhwongs umount fix. changed the +1 location

Attachments

• Filename
    configurable_z.diff
    File size
    4.78 KiB
    Downloads
    261 downloads
    File comment
    patch2
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
Last edited by Qbix on 2007-03-15, 11:58. Edited 1 time in total.

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 1 of 17, by ykhwong

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

"DOS_SetDrive(toupper('Z') - 'A');" that should be modified for the internal drive to be configurable still remains in dos_programs.cpp.
What do you think about adding an option to set the drive into the dosbox configfile?

Reply 2 of 17, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

What do you think about adding an option to set the drive into the dosbox configfile?

This would be ideal IMHO but could be a possible source of confusion for people already having problems grasping the mount concept ("huh systemdrive=z? My system is on c:\!" (I'm just making a guess on the systemdrive setting of course 😀)).
If configurable it should remain a "hidden" setting that doesn't get written on a "config -wc"

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 3 of 17, by kekko

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Actually current implementation of dosbox drives is a bit far from what people are used to know. I believe the quickest and cleaner way to make dosbox to deal with drives is to remove totally z: drive, there's surely another way to host the commands that z drive hosts (they could be totally hidden); then, dosbox could mount executable dir as c: or ask user to select the drive to mount.

Reply 4 of 17, by wd

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

You can't remove that drive because command.com needs to be visible
and a fully accessible file.
And if seeing a z:\ is that far from a user's recognition capability he
should use some frontend.

Reply 5 of 17, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

I only added this patch as I made it a few times in the past for a custom build for somebody.
As I thought more people might want to use it I put it here.
I have no plans of making the Z drive configurable using the configuration file.
This patch is for compiletime.

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 8 of 17, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

You don't need to place it anywhere special, but you need to have the dosbox sourcecode, then on the command line cd to the source and then use the patch command. This assumes you have some development environment setup and actually have the patch program.
Most likely you will have to fix some of the patch manually since the patch is very old.
Then you will need to compile dosbox...
So, be sure that you really need this option and it's worth the hassle

DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 12 of 17, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Not to mention that clever people will then asign c: to it and will then wonder why there are problems....
People who REALLY need it can change it in code and compile their own version. Especially companies can spare an extra two minutes to compile Dosbox (or if a development environment is needed first, they might need up to three hours).
If you think you need it that bad, then invest the little time to compile our own version - ANYONE can do this

Reply 13 of 17, by kolano

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Qbix wrote:

There are no games that require this.

There may not be games, but there is at least one installer that fails on systems including a Z: drive (i.e. Jurassic Park). See Jurassic Park (Ocean).

Reply 15 of 17, by dosapp12

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I am trying to setup DosBox for an older dos program but I need access to the Z-Drive. I am a bit confused on applying this patch. I downloaded Visual Studio and the file above but can not figure out how to patch the program or apply the patch. Do you have a patched version of DosBox that you can upload or know of a version that I can just download? Also I would prefer it to use Drive B for the virtual drive.