VOGONS

MIDI in Windows 98 in Virtual PC 2007

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

First post, by wackypanda

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi everyone. 😀 I hope this is in the right forum.

I'm running Windows 98 SE in Virtual PC 2007 with Windows 7 as host. Basically, it makes MIDI files sound like poo. All the instruments are terribly distorted. The same files sound okay in Windows 7. Sound from other file types is okay in the virtual machine.

I believe the virtual machine is using the Soundblaster drivers from the Windows 98 SE boot disk. Not sure what other details are relevant.

Thanks in advance.

Reply 2 of 7, by wackypanda

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for your reply. I had to use an old build because I couldn't download a Win98 build (non-functional link) and I don't have the time to compile one myself, but it seems mostly functional.

I associated .mid files with Timidity in the virtual machine, but that doesn't make it take over a game's MIDI background music. It was worth a shot.

Is what I'm trying to do possible? I'd think not unless I know how the game initiates playback.

Reply 3 of 7, by Harekiet

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

You'd have to install some midi driver and select it in midi mapper of your emulated win98 machine that does. Yamaha used to make one that came with the final fantasy 7 installation as i recall. But there have to be more software synth's but finding ones that still work for win98 might be a bit troublesome.

Reply 4 of 7, by wackypanda

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Stumbled upon that just before checking here, 🤣. Thanks for the suggestion though. After that hunt I'm using a beta of a software synth called Wingroove. Still sounds funky but in an entertaining instead of ear-piercing way. If I wanted to look for the Yamaha ones would I be looking for their soundcard drivers? (Sounds like a very n00b thing to ask, sorry.) That's what comes up when I search.

ETA: More n00bness. Do softsynths always use their own soundfonts or do they use the default gm.dls?

Reply 6 of 7, by wackypanda

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Nostalgia. 🤣 I can't find the license information on the site, but I think the "retail version" nominally is. Not sure if the beta is different.

Hm... the blog here: http://cinnamonpirate.com/2005/06/improving-m … di-on-a-laptop/
Seems to be describing a process similar to your link, but with Timidity (or more accurately, twsynth). Unless I'm grossly misinterpreting it.

Between the two, there should be enough to begin the hunt. 😀

Reply 7 of 7, by wackypanda

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Sorry for the double post. I figure it serves as a bump and is still on-topic.

I'm now using rgc:audio sfz with SAVIHost, as detailed by the ScummVM link and now have wonderful background music. The thing is, when it's running I can't get any sounds that are not MIDI.

Audio playback under Control Panel is set to SB16 WaveOut (220). MIDI output is MIDI Yoke Junction 1. MIDI input for sfz is MIDI Yoke Junction 1 as Input Port 1, with the other ports unused. Wave input port is "No Wave", and wave output port is MME Microsoft Sound Mapper.

Testing the Windows "asterisk" event sound with these settings gives the error message: "Windows cannot play the sound C:\Windows\media\chord.wav. Your sound card may be in use."