VOGONS

Common searches

Logical Journey of the Zoombinis on Windows 7

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

First post, by ductTapeDJ

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I was able to get this old Broderbund title working on my parents' vista machine, but my new Windows 7 laptop doesn't seem to like the Setup program, even with compatibility set to Windows 98, the system this game was designed for! The error I get says that it won't run on my 64-bit machine because it is a 32-bit program, but other 32-bit programs work on my machine so I think it may be able to work around this. If not, what is a good windows 98 emulator? I still have my old windows 98 discs and I tried running it in a windows 98 machine in VirtualBox but it would not run because it didn't recognize the virtual sound card.

Reply 2 of 24, by ductTapeDJ

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Attached is a screenshot of the error message. How do I get Virtual PC? I'm using Windows 7 Home edition, so I can't get the one microsoft's offering, at least not from their page.

Attachments

• exactErrorMessage.png
    Filename
    exactErrorMessage.png
    File size
    16.36 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    The error message I get no matter what compatability settings I use.
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 3 of 24, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yep, you'll need to install Virtual PC 2007 and then install Windows 98 in that.

The error you posted means that you are trying to run a 16bit executable in 64bit Windows which is not supported.

You CAN run the new version of Virtual PC on Windows 7 Home Edition but you CAN NOT run "XP MODE". (Although there probably is a way to "hack" it).

It's generally recommended to use VPC 2007 over the new version of Virtual PC if you plan to use Windows 9x.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 5 of 24, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Parallels or Vmware Fusion but I'm not a Mac guy.

Not sure how well 9x works in Parallels\Vmware Fusion.

On the PC Windows 9x works fine in Vmware Player\Workstation.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 7 of 24, by olafsson

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm in the same situation: runnings Windows 7 and trying to play my old Zoombinis game. I have Microsoft Virtual PC 2007 running with Windows 98 installed. Put in my Zoombinis disk... and got this error message when I tried to open the set-up. Any ideas of what I need to do?

Capture.jpg[/img]

Reply 12 of 24, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You can try Windows 95 if you want, but obviously Windows 98 is not supposed to give you a "not a valid WIN32 application" with any executable that you try to open, so something went wrong with your installation somewhere.

Either that, or your Zoombinis CD has become unreadable.

Reply 16 of 24, by benny57358

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks dude and yes it is windows 7 64 bit. My vista desktop is 32 bit and that might be why i got it to install. When i installed zoombinis on vista it gave me the same error as my 7 is, but on another forum site told me to download a different Broderbund (the publisher) game and then install zoombinis. I tried to do that on my 7 but is gave the same error to that game. I really as a last resort want to use a virtual pc so if there is any other way to install it without errors than that would be awesome.