VOGONS

First post, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Just double-checking something: can I run this thing [cpu world, pentium 2] with a 2x multi, @ 66 MHz bus speed = 133 MHz CPU clock speed? I'd like to see how slow a slot 1 PC can go. Thanks for any info.

Reply 1 of 47, by TheMAN

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I guess you don't have the CPU yet to try this? 😉

I don't think I got PIIs, only PIIIs... but they are in storage
my K6-3 is a 450 chip but underclocked to 400 (66*6)... works fine and probably is giving it excellent life

Reply 3 of 47, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
retro games 100 wrote:

Just double-checking something: can I run this thing [cpu world, pentium 2] with a 2x multi, @ 66 MHz bus speed = 133 MHz CPU clock speed? I'd like to see how slow a slot 1 PC can go. Thanks for any info.

I "think" virtually all Klamaths are unlocked. I tried a 300Mhz Klamath and I could change the multi. Hope that helps!

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 5 of 47, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

There's a thread on here somewhere that covered trying to find the unlocked vs. locked Klamath and Deschutes chips. Not all Klamaths are unlocked and some Deschutes ARE unlocked.

Reply 6 of 47, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
swaaye wrote:

There's a thread on here somewhere that covered trying to find the unlocked vs. locked Klamath and Deschutes chips. Not all Klamaths are unlocked and some Deschutes ARE unlocked.

Hmm..maybe I should retest that Klamath? I remember having posted something about it in that unlocked thread but can't be arsed to look it up now, too tired 🤣

Report spammers here!

Reply 7 of 47, by mr_bigmouth_502

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I think I once got a Pentium 2 of some sort running at 133MHz on a Slot 1 Pentium 3 board. It's been a few years, and I don't remember the specifics, but I think it was an ASUS board with a 440BX chipset. I don't even remember setting it to run like that either; it just sort of ran that way as soon as I plugged it in.

Reply 8 of 47, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I found the huge P2 unlocking thread on Vogons. It's here. Now, who knows the 5 digit CPU id codes, for the unlocked P2s? 😉 Because that thread is 192 replies long, and I don't have a spare 2 hours to read it ATM. 😉

Reply 9 of 47, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I don't think there is a comprehensive list, but I listed mine on page 4 or 5. Also the manufacturing date seems to be important, after week 30 1998 it seems none of the sought after sspec's are unlocked.
I only know about Deschutes (since I thought Klamath were always unlocked) and so far I know of only 2 Deschutes's speeds that seem to come in unlocked variants, 333Mhz and 400Mhz.

And about locked Klamath, I'm not sure yet this is the case. It is possible that the free multi on the unlocked variants work on every board!

Report spammers here!

Reply 10 of 47, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Thanks a lot for the info. I've just bought a P2 233 MHz, code SL2HD. When I receive it, I'll try it out in my i440BX slot 1 Asus P2B mobo, and set its jumpers to 2x multi and 66 MHz bus speed. Fingers crossed, it'll run the CPU @ 133 MHz. That would make this slot 1 machine run like a low/mid speed classic Pentium. Perhaps quite useful for games like Magic Carpet in SVGA mode?

p2.jpg

Reply 12 of 47, by AdamP

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
retro games 100 wrote:

Now, who knows the 5 digit CPU id codes, for the unlocked P2s?

This is all in my thread, but to summarise:

I've tried the following Pentium IIs:

SL2U6 (400mhz Deschutes) - Locked
SL2S5 (333mhz Deschutes) - Locked
SL2KA (333mhz Deschutes) - Can be underclocked (No L2 cache below 200mhz though)
SL2HE (266mhz Klamath) - Can be underclocked (No L2 Cache below 166mhz)

The SL2HE runs okay at 133mhz. I haven't tried the SL2KA at 133mhz yet. I also have an SL2U7 (450mhz Deschutes), which I assume is locked (I can't remember whether I actually tested it or not).

Judging by this, the chances are that your SL2HD will be unlocked and run at 133mhz.

Reply 13 of 47, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Link to the other P2 unlock thread: Which Pentium IIs can be underclocked?

My findings so far:
SL2QF (333Mhz Deschutes) - Unlocked
SL2S7 (400Mhz Deschutes) - Unlocked
SL2HE (266Mhz Klamath) - Unlocked

SL2U3 (350Mhz Deschutes) - Locked
SL2VY (300Mhz Deschutes) - Locked

Last edited by Tetrium on 2011-03-19, 03:41. Edited 1 time in total.

Report spammers here!

Reply 14 of 47, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

ALL MULTIPLIER REPORTS COMBINED INTO A SINGLE POST

SL2HE (266mhz Klamath) - Can be underclocked (No L2 Cache below 166mhz) (AdamP)
SL2HE (266Mhz Klamath) - Unlocked (Tetrium)
SL2KA (333mhz Deschutes) - Can be underclocked (No L2 cache below 200mhz though) (AdamP)
SL2QF (333Mhz Deschutes) - Unlocked (Tetrium)
SL2S7 (400Mhz Deschutes) - Unlocked (Tetrium)

SL2VY (300Mhz Deschutes) - Locked (Tetrium)
SL2S5 (333mhz Deschutes) - Locked (AdamP)
SL2U3 (350Mhz Deschutes) - Locked (Tetrium)
SL2U6 (400mhz Deschutes) - Locked (AdamP)

Last edited by Tetrium on 2011-03-19, 03:41. Edited 1 time in total.

Report spammers here!

Reply 15 of 47, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

My main interest in an underclockable (is there such a word? 😜) PII is that I can scale down to mimic a 486, and at the same time, will be able to load some demanding Win98-esque games when running at max non-overclocked stock speed - the 400MHz Deschutes specifically, for some higher-than-acceptable performance. And finally, all this interest, is to keep my running systems to a minimum.

But, unfortunately (or fortunately), due to my inability to find the said processors, I end up having 4 systems in my room. Including my actual 486 and actual PIII 450MHz.

But then again, I just don't know ...the 486... feel attached to it. Feel like nothing can actually replace a 486. Maybe it's all due to my inseparable nostalgic sentiments...

Crazy...me... 😁

5476332566_7480a12517_t.jpgSB Dos Drivers

Reply 16 of 47, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

it's the amibios, the pc speaker and the CPU name being numerical.
two of these not even a Pentium of equal speed can offer

though, cache disabling a p3 brings a nice 5.7 cpu score on speedsys. 😀

Reply 17 of 47, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
leileilol wrote:

it's the amibios, the pc speaker and the CPU name being numerical.
two of these not even a Pentium of equal speed can offer

though, cache disabling a p3 brings a nice 5.7 cpu score on speedsys. 😀

Ah yes! And the numerical 66/33 or HI/LO LED display, and the TURBO button! How can I forget my Turbo button! 😁

5476332566_7480a12517_t.jpgSB Dos Drivers

Reply 18 of 47, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Malik wrote:
My main interest in an underclockable (is there such a word? :pppt:) PII is that I can scale down to mimic a 486, and at the sam […]
Show full quote

My main interest in an underclockable (is there such a word? 😜) PII is that I can scale down to mimic a 486, and at the same time, will be able to load some demanding Win98-esque games when running at max non-overclocked stock speed - the 400MHz Deschutes specifically, for some higher-than-acceptable performance. And finally, all this interest, is to keep my running systems to a minimum.

But, unfortunately (or fortunately), due to my inability to find the said processors, I end up having 4 systems in my room. Including my actual 486 and actual PIII 450MHz.

But then again, I just don't know ...the 486... feel attached to it. Feel like nothing can actually replace a 486. Maybe it's all due to my inseparable nostalgic sentiments...

Crazy...me... 😁

Lol, same here.

For me anything with "Pentium" means old, while anything 486 and before sounds "ancient" and "useless" 😜
But I think it's pretty cool to have a use for a 486 😀

Report spammers here!

Reply 19 of 47, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have just received the P2 233 "SL2HD" CPU. I set the Asus P2B mobo's jumpers to "2x & 66", and the unsurprising Speedsys result can be seen below. This score seems to reflect what other people have discovered. Although the mobo's L2 cache is automatically deactivated when running this type of CPU with the multi set to 2x, the Speedsys score is higher than that of a real P1 133.

I wonder if it is impossible to get a slot 1 system to cover the speed range from a slow 486, through to a slow classic Pentium? The corresponding Speedsys score range would be about 20 to about 100. I appreciate that you can use a very fast Coppermine in a slot 1 mobo, and then deactivate its L1 cache in the BIOS, but this produces a very slow system, roughly equal to some kind of 386, with a corresponding Speedsys score of less than 10.

153.jpg