VOGONS

First post, by Rakune

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm trying to run Goblins 3 on Dosbox. I know how to mount a virtual C drive and i have gotten the game to run, (I'm using a downloaded rom version, but i OWN the windows floppy disk version of the game hahah) but when i use install.exe it asks me which drive to install to. I chose the C drive... then it asks me to insert disc 1... i cant insert a floppy disk into a mac obviously so what do i do?

Reply 1 of 19, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Hmm, dosbox doesn't work with rom files 😉
F it is an image' then mount the image as floppy a and install from that

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 2 of 19, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Orrrr?

Goblins 3 works with ScummVM, which is also available for Mac OS; if you find DOSBox too complicated, you should have a look.

I would suggest buying the trilogy from Impulse or GOG, but those packages aren't available for Mac OS.

Last edited by Jorpho on 2011-03-25, 19:22. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 3 of 19, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The problem with Gob3 floppy is that the resources are compressed and split across multiple disks. It needs to be installed before it will work with either ScummVM or DOSBox. You can get a USB floppy pretty cheaply. You could also try to find someone that has a floppy drive and transfer the files to a thumb drive.

Once you have the files, be sure to mount a folder for the floppy files using the "-t floppy" switch. And in the future, you will want to ask for help for DOSBox in the DOSBox forum. This forum is for emulating old Macs, not for asking for help with DOSBox on Mac. Perhaps a mod will move it for you.

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 4 of 19, by Rakune

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Alrighty, sorry for posting in the wrong section, heh. saw macintosh and got all excited! But wow thanks guys you seem to know a lot about this. So what i've gathered is that i should transfer all of the floppy disks' files onto a usb, then copy onto my mac. Should i make separate folders for each disc in order to sort of "emulate" the feel of discs so the game doesnt have a fit, or should i simply dump them all into one folder and call it a day? I'm brand new to the whole dos-emulation thing, sorry to bombard with questions -__-

Reply 5 of 19, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Make floppy images out of them. This way most information is stored and can be reused if needed.
Normally I'd say mount the floppy disk and install, but
I'm actually not sure if this will all work correctly on a mac since you will not have A floppy drive to mount but only the volume name of whatever floppy disk is in the drive.

DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 7 of 19, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

I'm not sure what is there for mac. Last time I used one I was still on Windows. I *think* vga copy is a dos program. Mounting the floppy disk volume in dosbox as a floppy and then reading it via vga copy might work. Sorry that I can't be more precise 😉

Reply 8 of 19, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

In Windows, I would use RaWriteWin. I'm not sure what the Mac OS equivalent would be, so I Googled <rawrite mac> and http://fixunix.com/powerpc/13479-mac-equivale … rawrite-dd.html came up.

You can use the resulting images in DOSBox with the IMGMOUNT command, as per the the DOSBox readme.

collector wrote:

The problem with Gob3 floppy is that the resources are compressed and split across multiple disks. It needs to be installed before it will work with either ScummVM or DOSBox.

This "downloaded rom version" might already have everything decompressed, making install.exe redundant, but it's probably best not to speculate about such things.

Reply 9 of 19, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Creating images is not a bad idea if you are unsure about a particular game, but no need for images for Gob3. The game's install disks have no label, no hidden "bad" sectors or any other extra needed information. Some games might have files named the same on different disks that would be overwritten is dumped into the same folder, but all of the GOB3 files are unique and can be dumped into the same folder. The game easily installs in DOSBox if you mount that folder as the "A:" drive with the "-t floppy" switch and another folder for your "C:" drive to install it to. The floppy needs only to be mounted for installation. To play the game you only need to mount the installed folder.

If I knew something about scripting on the Mac and had one to test it on, I wouldn't mind adding Mac versions of my installers.

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 10 of 19, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Jorpho wrote:

This "downloaded rom version" might already have everything decompressed, making install.exe redundant, but it's probably best not to speculate about such things.

True, but I was purposely ignoring the abandonwarez version.

Reply 11 of 19, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

@collector, we might be able to work on the installers at some point. I'm on a mac and know something about scripting on that and have access to all os x versions from 10.4 upwards.

Reply 12 of 19, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

If we could get some good Mac conversions of my installers I'd be happy to host them on SHP. I could supply any information needed for setting up and configuring the games themselves. I also have all of the patches and can supply any configuration files.

Reply 13 of 19, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Hmm, I'll get to coming to your forum in the next few days and there we can talk about this. Especially what needs to be done for each installer.

Reply 16 of 19, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Dominus, I have an NSIS forum on my board that you should be able to see. If you don't, PM me. Also, since you didn't have enough posts to move you from the Newly Registered group, I moved you to the Regular Users group so you can post without needing to wait for approval.

Reply 17 of 19, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

thanks.

Reply 18 of 19, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

please pm me if I fail to show up soon. I really want to help with this but I have a newborn at home and might get sidetracked 😀