VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by dosmax

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Disclaimer: I know, Win9x is not supported. But since hal-9000 on his Dosbox - NE2000 website shows a screenshot with Windows 95 inside Dosbox happily connected to the Internet, I still dare to ask:

I was able so setup networking in Win95 (quite easy) and even managed to get folder sharing with my Win7 host (a bit more complicated, see here: Guide: Windows 95 / 98 inside Dosbox - Accessing files on the host and mount CD images with mapped network drives ). So in principle the network works.

Only minor problem (at least for me) that remains is that I'm not able to reach anything else than my host machine from within Dosbox. Not the internet, no other machine on the LAN, nothing. I set up TCP/IP Gateway and DNS like I always do with every virtual machine, tried various in- and outgoing rules for Win7's firewall for Dosbox, even disabled the firewall completely for testing purposes. But still no luck. Theoretically everything should work fine I think, but it simply doesn't.

If someone accidentially has any idea what could possibly cause this or has any vague hint that could help to solve this mystery, I'd be really glad to hear it.

Thanks in advance!

Edit: See solution here: Guide: Windows 95 / 98 inside Dosbox - Network over WLAN in Windows 7

Last edited by dosmax on 2011-03-29, 20:01. Edited 3 times in total.

Reply 2 of 10, by dosmax

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Wireshark on the Dosbox host shows packets from the Dosbox Win95 IP-address. But that is expected since network folder sharing between Dosbox and its host works flawlessly. Also a http- or ftp-server on the Dosbox host is accessible from within Dosbox.

Wireshark on another PC in the network doesn't show anything, regardless whether I only do communication between Dosbox and the Dosbox host, try to go to the internet or try to reach (ping) that PC directly or the router from within Dosbox. It really looks like all traffic from Dosbox is blocked by the Dosbox host. The firewall is off, of course. Just to completely eliminate it as a source of error.

I can only suspect that this might be some problem (or feature?) of Windows 7 with WinPcap. Or vice versa. But that is only a pretty wild guess.

Or I'm doing something incredibly stupid...

Reply 4 of 10, by dosmax

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

First I should mention that I'm on a WLAN. That might be important. Forgot that before.

Second thing that may be worth noting is that WLAN adapters aren't shown by their actual device names when realnic=list ist used. Instead the devices are listed as "Microsoft". Don't know if that has something to say. This was true for two machines I tried (Win7/32 ans Win7/64).

Now the answer to your question:

Wireshark on the host shows packets from other machines. Not everything, but stuff directed towards the host (like pinging the host) or traffic that is broadcasted throughout the network is visible in Wireshark. Without being an expert on this matter, I'd say this looks like something you'd expect exactly that way.

Networking in general works fine between all machines. Only the Dosbox guest Windows can't get outside its host. And isn't reachable from the outside.

In the meantime I even tried disabling WLAN encryption. Although that idea was purely born out of desparation and it didn't help either...

And btw: thanks for your time!

Reply 8 of 10, by dosmax

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Last act: finally I tried what I should have tried long before and connected the Dosbox host with an old-fashioned cable to the router. That worked instantly.

Looks like I tried indeed something stupid...

Here's my assumption (beware: sounds definitely unprofessional and may even be completely wrong): unlike 'network cards' in virtual machines the Dosbox/WinPcap-solution simply acts as a 'tunnel' for the network card on the guest, a cable based NE2000 in this case. So in effect using a wireless card as interface card in Dosbox means trying to connect a cable based LAN card to a Wireless Network. Which obviously doesn't work since the NE2000 doesn't 'talk' WLAN.

Maybe hal-9000 has something more profound to say on this matter, but this sounds quite reasonable to me.

Thanks for listening... 😉

Reply 10 of 10, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

I am not sure if you noticed, but our current stance on win95 is not supported and we are actually trying to keep posts about it from our forum. (e.g we close them).

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!