VOGONS

First post, by Robin4

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Iam looking for an good isa graphics card, that can support bigger resolutions @ 800 x 600, 1024 x 768
Speed is not a problem, but if it isnt to slow..

What could i take?

Cirrus Logic 1MB (if he ship it to my country)
Orchid Technology ProDesigner II
Diamond Stealth 24 ISA
Diamond Speed Star 64 ISA

Can somebody RATE those cards for me. I dont know exactly how they will preform..

Reply 1 of 5, by megatron-uk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

What do you want it for? DOS games, Windows 3.1/95/98, Windows gaming, applications/productivity?

My collection database and technical wiki:
https://www.target-earth.net

Reply 2 of 5, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Diamond Speedstar 64 ISA is pretty good when it comes to ISA cards. Just be sure you get the 2mb version 😉

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 3 of 5, by Robin4

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Its for my 386 build system that iam going to build.

I want to play EGA / VGA games on it with dos and windows 3.11
Thats are the only osses i going to install.

~ At least it can do black and white~

Reply 4 of 5, by elfuego

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

In that case a simple ATI VGA wonder with 512kb RAM will do the work just fine. No need for more RAM or more powerful video, so basically any card you take from the above will do the job.

Reply 5 of 5, by dirkmirk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Go the Diamond Speedstar 64.

I tested this card against a 1mb Diamond Speedstar(ET4000), in dos games they are identical, like others have said it makes no real difference what card you use in dos.

However under Windows 95 the 64 is a much better card, just for things like scrolling through folders in my computer or moving cards in solitaire, ie jerky vs smooth, watching video makes no difference, if you can help it get the 2mb version or it may perform no different, at least you can upgrade the memory later if you want, this will let you do higher resolutions in windows.

800x600=24 bit
1024x768=16 bit