VOGONS

First post, by Romen

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well hey there 😀

Got a problem with these 2 games, my system specs are in my profile 😀

- OMF runs, but with no sound =(

- Cannon Fodder 2 actually isnt running at ALL for me... but i will keep at it and let you guys know..

Thanks 😉

(posted here cuz i cant seem to post o nthe DOS forums)

Reply 1 of 11, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

(did you verify your account? Anonymous users are allowed to post here, but not there.)

OMF2097 will not run well with sound, period. No Epic games of that era will, really. It's unfortunate. I think that it also needs the POPF fix in order to work. What exactly happens when you try to use sound?

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 2 of 11, by Romen

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

with OMF, in the first part of loading the game, when it tries to play the thunder noise with the lightning in the intro, it just goes in to an infinite loop. but the sound is not distunishable.

If i turn sound blaster off, I can play with l33t PC-speaker sound! But atleast the game itself works... still, i missed the "FIGHT!" and the other noises..

Epic use to make the BEST games in that time ! =(

Reply 3 of 11, by edelbeb

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

OMF 2097 does not play happily w/WinXP.

On the positive side, I'm beta testing the new One Must Fall:Battlegrounds. It looks like it will be a winner. Check www.omf.com for more info.

For OMF 2097, dual boot w/Win98 works best. Just make sure your BIOS says "No" to PnP OS. That option won't affect thing in WinXP. IMHO, the best way to dual boot (if your system supports it, as your specs suggest it does) is to add an inexpensive hard drive and install Win98 on that. Then, use your BIOS to select your boot drive. That way, you don't add any unnecessary partition managing programs that might interfere w/maintenance or create other issues. Also, if your WinXP drives are NTFS formatted, Win98 won't see them. That might boost the the security of the WinXP drives when you are booted up under Win98.

If you don't own Win98, see if you can buy an old copy cheap, or become a criminal and copy and install a disk from a buddy. Something tells me that MS won't raise too great of a fuss if you have a legal version of WinXP and are installing Win98 on the same computer solely to assure compatibility w/old programs. Of course, if I'm wrong, MS finds out what you've done, and you are sent to prison, please don't send me nasty emails from your jail cell 😀

Reply 6 of 11, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

I think he refers to the cvs (current sourcecode version) of dosbox.

If you decide to use it then you are on your own as there is no support for it.

Try looking for it in the first post of the dosbox development forum.

Reply 10 of 11, by Unregistered

User metadata

With the latest official release (0.60), OMF will load fine even with sound all the way to a fight. Once the arena shows, the sprite movement animation is hyper, moving left/right jumps (ie, disappears then reappears) my or the opponents sprite across the screen, and jumping causes my sprite to totally disappear. If one of us does manage to hit the other before we disappear, you can hear what sounds like a ton of klanging (aka hits) with the character hit losing their entire energy bar losing the match. Then the game will stall for a long before moving on. If I jump and the sprite disappears, the game is basically hung since there's no way for the opponent to hit you or for you to hit them. And arena dangers don't have any effect.

For my platform, I'm using Linux (gcc 3.2.3, glibc 2.3.2). I've tried with -march=athlon-xp and -march=i386. I've also tried with -Os and -O0. I've tried disabling sound completely, and my settings are set for 5000 cycles and a frameskip of two. This is a 1.2Ghz Athlon XP, btw. There's 24MB memory made available. Any other suggestions on what I could be doing wrong?

Reply 11 of 11, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

That's odd. I played it yesterday and all was fine. Maybe your version of OMF is incompatible with dosbox ? i play without timelimit. maybe that makes a difference ?

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!