VOGONS

First post, by belboz

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I used to do some VGA testing in a previous life and I just ran across DOSBox and thought I'd play around with it a little.

I ran a vga test program, vgatest10 http://www.simtel.net/pub/pd/3758.html and when I select 800x600 or 1024x768 resolutions I get an error message in the DOSBox monitor window that says "Exit to error: Unhandled CPU opcode".

I used DOSBox 0.60.

Reply 2 of 2, by belboz

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yeah, I know. 800x600 and above are Super VGA modes. They weren't present on the original IBM VGA but they were present on the majority of VGA cards used before the VGA lost favor. They were so prevalent that you'll find many many "VGA" games that either support or require those modes. Each card manufacturer had their own standard for setting up these extended modes. Thankfully VESA came along and made order out of chaos by creating a BIOS standard by which different hardware could work interchangably.

I didn't know what resolutions DOSBox supported. If it doesn't support 800x600 or higher that would explain why you would get a failure, but I'm curious as to why the failure message would say that there was an unhandled opcode instead of an unsupported resolution.