VOGONS

Test MIDI data for Munt (con't)

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

First post, by SatoriEnd

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Just stumbled across this thread.

Windows comes with several .mid files built in that can be used for testing (I already played with one of them and found a difference).

Simply go to:

C:\windows\media

There's two or three .mid files in the root folder there. Onestop.mid is kind of a default test.

Speaking of, currently when playing onestop and comparing it to MS's GS Synth I noticed that Munt seems to be missing either a channel or a sound (not certain which since I don't have tools to test). The GS Wavetable produces a bell sound in the first few seconds of the file that Munt seems to be missing.

Mods: If this is in the wrong area or needs to be sliced and diced please feel free.

Reply 1 of 1, by Gez

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The MT-32 is not just a synth, it's also a MIDI standard. One that predates the actual MIDI standard for synth specifications, called General MIDI.

General MIDI was not designed to be backward-compatible with MT-32 specs, so MT-32 files will not sound right on a GM synth; and GM files will not sound right on an MT-32 synth. (Which is a large part of why there's a need for MT-32 emulation: hardware capable of playing correctly MT-32 MIDI files is no longer being produced.)

The stock Windows midi files are for General MIDI, so of course they will not sound right on an MT-32.

The only meaningful test you could do with these files is compare how they sound with MUNT and how they sound with a genuine MT-32. Comparing to a GM synth like the MS wavetable one is always going to give you irreconcilable differences.